BB-8 Star Wars APP enabled droid is now a useless piece of Junk as of 10/4/21

PicasoX

Sr Member
I just bought one of these, the special edition! cool as all! it was delivered today!

But it's a worthless piece of JUNK!

It won't even turn on without the app, which has been discontinued!

I was racking my head against the wall looking for any hint of the app on the apple app store, so I decided to contact sphero support and I ran across a message on their website that said star wars droids are no longer supported and their apps are no longer available for download as of 10/4/21.

I' m absolutely appalled!

Someone ought to tell the tens of thousands of sellers and buyers that are still active with this product!

No Skin off the seller I Bought from at all because I'm sure they had no idea, but thousands and thousands of these are available online for sale, and the buyers and sellers have no idea!

I would never buy another Sphero product, Ever!

Even if they took used toilet paper as payment!

I'd rather save the trouble and just flush it.

I bought one second hand, big mistake. It had not been used for a while by the previous owners, and a couple of months use with me killed the battery, last only about 10 seconds. However, the Droids By Sphero app is still working fine and has not been discontinued. My Sphero R2D2 still works perfectly.

Tell that to anyone who buys one today. I had no need to download the app until I bought one and its not available any more!

Thanks for the suggestion. Not seeing it there, I'm posting this here in hopes that someone will come up with a solution.
According to the spokesman for Sphero, you can use their Sphero edu app to program & run them, but you can't use the Force Band peripheral at all. Hopefully that works. I have BB-8, R2, & another that IDK the name of, but they're all packed away.

This topic has made me go back and take a look at mine. Honestly, I have only run this little guy twice since I received him. The first time was when I got him and the second time was when I got the force control band on clearance at Target.

I checked my app on the phone and since it was so long, it made me reload it. I thought it might fail since the app as mentioned is no longer in existence but it seemed to reload ok. Currently I am waiting for BB to recharge. I am also going to test to see if the force band srill works. The force band may the only way to operate the device without the app.

but you can't use the Force Band peripheral at all
Interesting.

actually I did find it on APK, you have to be pretty specific with your search, bb8 or bb8 droid didn;t work the first time but when I googled bb8 droid app download it came up in google. Doesn't look like its available for Iphone though

BTW I tried the force band, it connects but the droid doesnl;t do anything when you wave your hand around

I think my BB-8’s battery is toast. It will not charge. It lets me connect the app to it while in the cradle but after about 8 hours of trying to charge, it shows no signs of life. Not that it’s a big deal as it was a gift and it was mainly a display piece more than anything else.

611DF562-FEB3-4A74-98CD-6B6193DEDEBC.jpeg

While I was waiting for the droid to charge, I printed a display stand for the band. I will get rid of the droid but I love the force band.

did the force band require your phone nearby in order to work? Iphone or Android?

I am about to purchase an R2D2 unit tomorrow. As you said, the appstore app is gone. I have not been able to find the APK to sideload which only works for a short time with apple anyway so that is a crap solution.

There is a separate app for the force band. I am not sure that exists anymore but I had it on my iPad. I think you needed it to initiate the band and go through a online practice mode before it moved on to setting up to the droid. Not really sure since as i said, my droid would not recharge and the only time it let me connect was in the dock. So maybe someone else can give better answer,

The force band charges up, activates and makes noises, and it looks pretty cool but it doesn't do anything to control my droid, there must be a set up thing that has to be done originally. The band does however activate the droid while its in the charging stand, but it will not connect or control anything.

I found a 5th gen Kindle Fire (SV98LN) and was able to install the Sphero Force Band & Droids by Sphero apps using the Aptoide service. Thus far the force band works fine on its own. Logged in, updated, works with the app. I do not have the R2D2 yet as its been picked up by a friend. The point is, if you can get one of these old and cheap Amazon Kindle Fire, then you have a decent controller that won’t update to an incompatible OS.

I have an old samsung 8 inch Tablet that I'm trying to download the sphero BB8 app on, but I've been getting errors and can't finish the download.

What service did you get yours from?

Of course, enable unknown sources first.
Install the Aptoide App, then use the app to get the sphero apps.
When you do a search, you really have to be specific.
Star Wars Force Band
Star Wars Droids

I just bought one of these, the special edition! cool as all! it was delivered today!

But it's a worthless piece of JUNK!

It won't even turn on without the app, which has been discontinued!

I was racking my head against the wall looking for any hint of the app on the apple app store, so I decided to contact sphero support and I ran across a message on their website that said star wars droids are no longer supported and their apps are no longer available for download as of 10/4/21.

I' m absolutely appalled!

Someone ought to tell the tens of thousands of sellers and buyers that are still active with this product!

No Skin off the seller I Bought from at all because I'm sure they had no idea, but thousands and thousands of these are available online for sale, and the buyers and sellers have no idea!

I would never buy another Sphero product, Ever!

Even if they took used toilet paper as payment!

I'd rather save the trouble and just flush it.
You can use the droid if you on the sphero edu app, but only basic movement

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back