Batsuit: Arkham Origins V1

Re: WIP - Batman Arkham Origins

They have a gun metal Plasti Dip.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out and experiment to see if I can skip the paint on those portions and just use the dip. Because there would be no primer or paint would it have any effect on my plans to dry brush some white/grey acrylic paint across the edges in which I hope to stimulate wear on the armor?

I'm also planning to splash a little black to add a bit of grime to it.

Last edited:

Haven't made any real progress today. Originally I was going to go lazy and just sew some velcro into certain sections of the undershirt and velcro the chest and ab pieces directly to the shirt and that was going to be it as far as the work on the abdomen. Now I'm starting to want to add more detail to it and add the ribcage armor and such. So i decided to heat up and flatten out the ab pieces so I can glue them on to a more solid base. Doing this changed the shape of some of them by some degree and I ended up spending some time making them symmetrical again. Now I got a piece of foam board Im going to try and cut a base for the abs with. afterwards I plan to wrap that base in some vinyl that I purchased and then add the little screw/bolt/rivet things. Hopefully it comes out okay or ill have to think of another way.

image.jpg

Last edited:

I'm thinking ahead and wondering if the eva foam mats are too thick a material in which to construct the gauntlets. Any advice or input from someone who has completed a previous build?

im thinking maybe I'll just get a little Palm sander and sand down a portion of the foam an 1/4 inch down and see if it works for me.

Was at Harbor frieght with the intention of purchasing the palm sander but came across a roll of EVA foam that was of the thickness I think would be optimal for the construction of the gauntlets. So shelved the sander for the time being. See how this works.

Last edited:

The foam white board was a bust. Was looking promising at first glance but the more I tried to shape it the more it became flimsy and fell to pieces. Luckily I just purchased a thinner roll of EVA foam. So I'm trying the same thing but using the foam instead. Looks good but I was hoping for something more ridged. I'll have to see how this works out. Not sure I'd I should wrap it in vinyl or just plastidip it black.

image.jpg

You're getting great results, especially considering you're just using foam and a heat gun. This is going to look bad ass when it's finished.

I constructed my Origins gauntlets out of 3mm foam and 5mm foam. Once all the layers are glued together they are pretty ridged.IMG_20140920_150514.jpg

I constructed my Origins gauntlets out of 3mm foam and 5mm foam. Once all the layers are glued together they are pretty ridged.View attachment 385341
That looks incredible! Not sure if mine will come out nearly as good but I hope they come close. How did you get such a perfect inseam on that? Do you have a thread where you describe the process?
FYI, I just finished plastidiping the frame I made around the abs. I'm currently waiting to add my third coat onto the actual ab pieces. And good call on the gunmetal grey plastidip. It's exactly what I needed!

Thanks man! I put them together using templates from the Foamcave.If you use them pprint out a couple copies as you will need them for the different layers. I have a thread here on my progress of the suit but a more detailed thread over at the BOTB in the costume vault section. Yours is looking really superb.

Splashed on a little plastidip. I'm pleased with the results(everything looks all loose but I think I'll be tightening it all together with some hot glue or leave it a little loose to give it some flex when I move about). Not sure if I'm going to go with these snap rivets or go to the bolt shop and look for some small hex bolts. I also beveled the abs on the inseam. Wasn't sure if it was a good move. Kinda liked em better before I did that but what's done is done and I'm not sure if I want to waste any materials to cut another set.
ill be spraying the chest plate later today after work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

To be honest, I like it better that way, as it gives it more definition.
Which way? With all edges beveled down?I can be kind of a perfectionist. I kind of want to redo the entire abdomen and make a tighter fit as well as add some dividers to the frame so all the ab pieces are separated. This whole thing is a learning process and I feel I learn and tune my technique as I go. Not sure if it's really worth the trouble but I kinda want to

Sorry! Yes, I do mean with the edges beveled. I think it creates a degree of seperation visually, while also ensuring that there is depth and definition to the ab section.

I'm just going to try making another abdominal frame. Just want to see if it looks better with a tighter border.Need to make a decision and move on or ill be stuck on the torso forever. Lol. I want to get the rest of the upper body

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 338

Looking really good man! I was just going through the first page of this thread and noticed the cowl again. Have you gave any thoughts on building a foam one using JFCUSTOM'S file? I'm pretty sure you could knock that out.

Painted and although I like the color, I Wasn't planning on going this dark(although the color looks a little darker in the picture) . Hopefully I still get a decent contrast. As far as the craftsmanship I could have used a steadier hand, but after weathering the armor the flaws will probably become part of the charm. Overall a much better fit than the one I made yesterday.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

i think I need to devise an apparatus under the chest piece so I can strap it onto my chest and anchor the abs as well. I'd like to make it a one piece if possible.

Last edited:

Looking really good man! I was just going through the first page of this thread and noticed the cowl again. Have you gave any thoughts on building a foam one using JFCUSTOM'S file? I'm pretty sure you could knock that out.

Im completely new to this and not sure how the files work. I'll give it a look. I checked out your thread and your cowl looks awesome.

First things first. You will need to download Pepakura Designer. (It's free) It is a Windows program so you will need that. If you are on Mac (like me) there is still a way to do it. (Let me know if you are using a Mac) Download the file, open it in Pepakura Designer. From there you will need to scale it to your size. I got lucky and didn't need to scale it as it fit me perfectly. Print it out on card stock. (You can use regular paper, just easier to trace the card stock) Then start assembly. Piece of cake.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back