Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

that cover has to be posted here :
View attachment 495945

Looks pretty darn good IMO

2 things I get from that cover : this is definitely a trinity movie, and that scenario recently posted is getting a bit more traction in my book given WW's important role in it, and how she's in front of the cover too. She's definitely has an important part to play in that movie...
That, or they figured putting the pretty girl front and center would sell more magazines. ;)

I admit to not keeping up on news here since i'm not a fan of modern dc's take on these characters.

but is it true the reason we are getting this and not superman two, is because the first film was so widely criticized as much as it was loved?

I might go see this movie, but quite frankly, I thought Dark Knight Returns comic was horribly over rated. I've never been a fan of dark, gritty, gloomy and adult for super hero movies. I prefer Smart, Fast moving fun and hopeful.

I'm not sure "smart" and "fun and hopeful" necessarily go together, but that may just be the cynic in me talking...
it is the cynic in you.

A smart film speaks for itself regardless of whether it's a "serious" or "fun" movie.

The conceit of "brooding" and "dark" films is that some people just equate that with "smart" and "profound." In the worst cases some of these movies can be more pretentious than anything else.
Conversely there are some film satire that are also very intelligent (e.g. Dr. Strangelove, Annie Hall, City Lights) .

A smart film speaks for itself regardless of whether it's a "serious" or "fun" movie.

Last edited:
I think it's less to do with it's reception but because DC wants to fast track Justice League.
Bingo. And that's probably the reason they felt it necessary to shove Wonder Woman and Aquaman into the story. The only question is whether they'll do a Flash and/or a Martian Manhunter movie before the Justice League movie. :rolleyes

Bingo. And that's probably the reason they felt it necessary to shove Wonder Woman and Aquaman into the story. The only question is whether they'll do a Flash and/or a Martian Manhunter movie before the Justice League movie. :rolleyes

...and Cyborg.

They're really shoehorning everyone into the same movie. As I've said countless times, DC is so desperate to catch up with Marvel in the live action film department that they are forgetting a crucial aspect of what made The Avengers great.

Marvel took the time to create individual movies for its main heroes and made you care about them. Sure, they brought in one additional character to add to the story (Widow in Iron Man 2 and Hawkeye in Thor), but it was just ONE character, and it was enough to make you understand the type of person that character was. Natasha's a badass fighter who does whatever it takes to get a job done. Clint's the same way, but his own humanity shines through. "I'm starting to root for this guy" was not just a throwaway line to make you chuckle a bit. It shows that, in the same way that he saw something good in Natasha and brought her to SHIELD instead of killing her like he was tasked to do, Clint saw that on a fundamental level, Thor was a good guy. Granted, he probably would have taken the shot if ordered to do so, but it doesn't change that Clint saw the goodness in him.

But I digress...

I firmly believe that, unless some galactic-scale rectum-pulling happens, BvS is going to be a disappointment. I sincerely hope that it isn't, but I have that feeling.

I'm so blindly excited about this, I don't love some of the choices that seem to be coming across in the DCCU but I just want to see what comes of it, I feel like it could surprise people and blow us away. I guess I'm just glad to see what looks like a more comicbook aesthetic for a modern DC movie after the super grounded (as grounded as a guy dressed as a bat can be) Nolan trilogy, and I'm hopeful that maybe we will get a new definitive Batman out of this.

Just because Marvel had a successful approach doesn't mean any other approach will not work too in my book, team up movie without any solo before have worked in the past, like Watchmen that is by Snyder too, and was IMO a better movie than some of the marvel solo ! But we'll see. At this point, if it were possible to invest money on a movie like you would by shares on the stock market, I would buy a few for BvS for sure.

Just because Marvel had a successful approach doesn't mean any other approach will not work too in my book, team up movie without any solo before have worked in the past, like Watchmen that is by Snyder too, and was IMO a better movie than some of the marvel solo ! But we'll see. At this point, if it were possible to invest money on a movie like you would by shares on the stock market, I would buy a few for BvS for sure.

The thing about Watchmen is that it started as a teamup book. That was the entire point. There were no previous comics series of Dr. Manhattan or Rorschach to give the characters a rich and detailed history like that of Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. The Watchmen characters had histories and backstories, yes, but only enough to make sense for the main story. The Justice League, much like the Avengers, is comprised of heroes who stand on their own in the comic pantheon. To pay basic lip service to the vast history of the character in order to fast track a team up movie is irresponsible.

I firmly believe that, unless some galactic-scale rectum-pulling happens, BvS is going to be a disappointment. I sincerely hope that it isn't, but I have that feeling.
Even if so, I feel there is no shortage of DC apologists who will find reasons to call it a masterpiece.

I do think it's possible to pull this off right, as ambitious as it sounds. But there are only a handful of ways to get it right and a million ways to mess it up. We'll see if Zach is up to the task. Joss did have a similar (not identical) challenge with the Avengers and Gunn had a similar challenge with GotG. It can be done IMO.

FB_IMG_1436399951462.jpgFB_IMG_1436399953151.jpgFB_IMG_1436399955036.jpgFB_IMG_1436399956800.jpg

Great reference of the Ironma... Metal Batman suit. May be some varience between this and the movie suit, but it's definitely cool to see the whole thing.

(EDIT) Actual photos of the full suit below! Guess we don't need these for reference anymore. :lol

Last edited:
Even if so, I feel there is no shortage of DC apologists who will find reasons to call it a masterpiece.

I do think it's possible to pull this off right, as ambitious as it sounds. But there are only a handful of ways to get it right and a million ways to mess it up. We'll see if Zach is up to the task. Joss did have a similar (not identical) challenge with the Avengers and Gunn had a similar challenge with GotG. It can be done IMO.

Thing is that Joss Whedon has TONS of experience with shows involving ensemble casts, where no one character is the focus (Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse). James Gunn has less experience, but he did have the Guiding Hand of Whedon available to keep him on track.

Zach Snyder's credits also include ensemble cast movies such as 300, Sucker Punch, and Watchmen, but those examples eventually devolved into focusing on a few of the main cast instead of the entire ensemble.

So long as he breaks away from that mold, he should do decent, provided the script is good and everyone can be introduced decently without it feeling like it's "hey look, it's Aquaman!" or "sudden cameo appearance by Cyborg!"

Batman makes superman look like a kid. I thought Superman is the one that looks like a god. I don't really like that bat on his chest but I think the costume is cool.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back