Batgirl Begins....Torso now complete. 8/26

<div class='quotetop'>(DAVIDYR1 @ Aug 16 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]1302034[/snapback]</div>
As for the lady who'll be wearing this get up...she's very passionate about costuming and lives this sort of thing just like the rest of us do. She'll be in this for DC and I'm pretty sure she wont go unnoticed.
[/b]

Then she'd be game for a REAL cutout, then. ;)

David, I saw this post awhile ago, on the LOH, and due to technical problems couldn't add a comment. This project inspired me to get a head cast made, and begin my own sculpt for a costume I had been considering for a long time. Beautiful work.
Miracole's committment to costuming is an inspiration as well. Great collaboration. Can't wait to see the finished pics.

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ Aug 17 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]1302239[/snapback]</div>
Beautiful work. Is this the one you're doing for Miracole?
[/b]

Yes. Miracole fell in love with that Batgirl design and in about a week she'll get to see herself all suited up.:)

Talisen,
Yea...last year we met in the hall. I believe I was in costume actually.:)
This year I have booth in the Rue Morgue section. Beside me is Smooth On and we'll be doing lifecasting demonstrations with their silicone BodyDouble all day long for the whole weekend. Maybe you'd like to volunteer and be one of our lifecasting victims while you're there.......:)
Chavant once again was kind enough to participate by sending clay samples, pubblicity materials and so on. We will heavily be promoting both Chavant Clay and Smooth On products. I think the last show we did was rather successful in that regard.

Just like last time, two of us will be constantly sculpting in our booth and giving people a chance to see and touch the clays in person. Should be a lot of fun and if there is enough time for me to cast up a set of this batgirl armor for the show I'll have that there also. I hope you can stop by and say hey.

I'll keep you all posted on the show. I have my booth number but not at this computer.

David

<div class='quotetop'>(Rocketeer390 @ Aug 17 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]1302245[/snapback]</div>
David, I saw this post awhile ago, on the LOH, and due to technical problems couldn't add a comment. This project inspired me to get a head cast made, and begin my own sculpt for a costume I had been considering for a long time. Beautiful work.
Miracole's committment to costuming is an inspiration as well. Great collaboration. Can't wait to see the finished pics.
[/b]

Hey there. :)
We posted at the same time so I didnt see your reply in time. :)
I'm thrilled to hear that you're giving this stuff a shot. These are rather exciting times for those of us who dig costume making. With Dragon Con and Halloween just around the corner, pretty much all the costume guys are frantically working on all kinds of cool thing. It all makes for great eye candy and certainly proves that costuming is alive and in my opinion at it's highest point of interest to the general public ever. :)
Go for it man....and have some fun with it....

Yes, Miracole's committment is inspiring. She's got that costuming bug like many of us do and it's all part of a world that's just getting bigger and bigger as time goes on. Having fun is the key.

David

Oh that's Miracole . Well now I can't wait to see the finished project. She is one heck of a costume person to have on your side. Please post tons of photo's when the time comes.

Tek

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ Aug 17 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]1302357[/snapback]</div>
:love

that is going to look amazing.. you've got tremendous talent.
[/b]

You guys are great. :)
Thanks big time for all the comments. :thumbsup

I've been working on texture and stitch lines today. Took these early this afternoon. As soon as I finish the pores on the cleavage area of the torso I'll post finished pics of both pieces...whew...what a work out this turned into.

Changes to the cowl since the last pics are...redid the entire forehead...less bulky more feline...sharpened, enhanced and added stitches to the brow area. Actually there are a few more stitch lines all over the cowl as well as leather texture like the torso sculpt. Cowl edges have stitches too. They 'should' tie in together nicely with the whole look of the suit. The torso has some cool texturing and stitch lines that I figured could work on the cowl too...naturally in black rubber all this will be less noticable and with some luck actually look like leather...

All under different lighting to show as much as possible..also when I took these there was NO texture on the neck, shoulders and horns.

stitches3.jpg

stitcheshead2.jpg

Enjoy....:)

David

Here are a few more from yesterday while I was figuring out the stitch lines. Look closely and you'll see them aound the mouth opening.
Also remember that all in black a lot of this wil be very much blended into the whole look. The goal is to make it look like stitched leather.
Torso almost done too...thank gawd..:)

2006_0818cowlfemaletexstich0003.jpg

2006_0818cowlfemaletexstich0002.jpg

2006_0818cowlfemaletexstich0001.jpg

Going under silicone today. All finished pics coming. Touching up the texture a bit...removing my fingerprints mostly...LOL

Enjoy.

David

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ Aug 18 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1303023[/snapback]</div>
looks absolutly amazing.................................................................
[/b]

Thanks buddy....

Here are the finished cowl pics...I sprayed the clay black so the details are much easier to see now.

closeupforehead.jpg

closerup.jpg

Keep in the mind that the black is surface painted clay. The silicone castings will be much deeper and more intense. Translucent almost. This is just black spray paint.
Also imagine the contrast between Miracole's smooth skin and the cowl now with leather texture. The life cast has several imperfections so her whole face looks textured...I'm guessing her face in reality isnt like that...:p

blksidemcl.jpg

blkback.jpg

croppedfronttxt.jpg

Enjoy.

David

<div class='quotetop'>(takevin @ Aug 16 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]1301789[/snapback]</div>
Great job David. btw, Is there a pic of the girl who will be modeling this? :D :p
[/b]
That's exacyly what i was thinking, can we see pics when you have a model :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back