Batgirl Begins....Torso now complete. 8/26

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
All the elements to this are nearly done.
Cowl, Torso, Gloves, Leg detailing, Cape, Belt, fins and shoe spikes all just about done.

Here's a few teasers...the pieces will all be cast in silicone for maximum movement and flexibility. The goal is form fitting and sexy....respectable sexy. :)

This is the costume we're going for. Designed by Miles Teves for the Schumacher Batfilms. Great design.... Never used though.:(

Batgirl-72.jpg

Because of the way the life cast was done I couldnt sculpt the cowl and upper chest/cup area as all one piece as originally planned, so I took the traditional route of removable cowl from bust as typically used on film.

Cowl:

frontuplook.jpg

frontuplook2.jpg

Torso:
In the design above we believe the chest bat is cut out and that's supposed to be womans skin showing through. In this case, I'm sculpting the logo as if it was cut out and the 'skin' will also be sculpted in then the whole thing will be painted to look like real skin as if the wearer did have that area cut out. :)

asdfiiasddd.jpg

2006_0720bustcowltex0005.jpg

I expect the torso and cowl to be done completely by this evening. Both only need minor work...tweaking at best. For the cowl I want to soften up the brow area a bit more and the torso just needs some texture on it.

More to come..

Enjoy.

David

Excellent stuff. If I may offer a comment, I remember the old Batgirl costume and the sharp edge on the face/cowl was a bone of contention with Yvonne Craig. She said the cowl dug into her cheeks a bit and was painful. Something to consider with your awesome looking cowl.

Wow, that's great work. And fast, if the final costume is for Dragon. :eek

As for the cutout, why simulate it? She's gone THIS far. ;)

I would much prefer to see the finished article ;)

Speaking of which you never seem to finish anything. You always post progress shots of things that look great but then never follow up with the completed article. Before we know it your halfway into the next project :confused

Any chance of seeing something finished?

I can't believe the time table on this. I couldn't rent a tuxedo in time for DragonCon. :lol

Hats off to you, sir. Can't wait to see it in person.

quick question, and if I'm taking this too seriously just tell me

but wouldn't having exposed flesh in the most vulnerable area of your chest (as nothing protects heart and lungs) be a bad thing...?

it is an awesome costume though

<div class='quotetop'>(Treadwell @ Aug 16 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]1301708[/snapback]</div>
RKW, a little more constructive, please? :confused
[/b]

What? I'm not having a go at him.

I think his work is amazing and would really like to see something actually finished. I'm not going to tell someone who is a far superior sculptor than me what they should or shouldn't do differently.

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Aug 16 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1301747[/snapback]</div>
RKW,
If you click on David's Profile page you can go to his website and see a lot of Finished work he did...
[/b]

Oh okay :$

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ Aug 17 2006, 02:01 AM) [snapback]1301607[/snapback]</div>
is it the photo, or are the ribs that pronounced? [/b]
In the source illustration, the ribs appear to be that pronounced. The sculpt matches the artwork.

Amazing work, DAVIDYR1. Can hardly wait to see it done and donned. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(takevin @ Aug 16 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]1301789[/snapback]</div>
Great job David. btw, Is there a pic of the girl who will be modeling this? :D :p
[/b]

You'll have to wait for pics form D*C like everyone elso or go see the costume in person.....

David, nice keeping with the "Schumacher" feel to the sculpt.

<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Aug 16 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]1301758[/snapback]</div>
I think his work is amazing and would really like to see something actually finished. I'm not going to tell someone who is a far superior sculptor than me what they should or shouldn't do differently.
[/b]

Cool. :thumbsup

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback. As always it's really cool to show you all what I'm up to. Some things, like this one are kind of 'out of the box' as per the norm for these types of suits but we really wanted to stay true to the design.

The brow has been softened up considerably. I think it looked pretty cool in person but I just couldnt get it to photograph well and considering that really is what leaves it's mark after the fact, I went back and did some overhauling on it.

The torso does have some muscular lines to it. The rib area also were a little more pronounced then needed so those are now being toned down.

All in all I will say a tricky look to get down. Fun sure, but trust me when I say just as frustrating to get just right.
I should be posting the finished sculpt pics tomorrow.

As for the lady who'll be wearing this get up...she's very passionate about costuming and lives this sort of thing just like the rest of us do. She'll be in this for DC and I'm pretty sure she wont go unnoticed.

Thanks again all for the feedback, suggestions and kind words.
:)

<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Aug 16 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]1301623[/snapback]</div>
I would much prefer to see the finished article ;)

Speaking of which you never seem to finish anything. You always post progress shots of things that look great but then never follow up with the completed article. Before we know it your halfway into the next project :confused

Any chance of seeing something finished?
[/b]

You're absolutely right. :) I've been working on a zillion projects that seem to be off to the waist side. I do all my own sculpting and what I've been working towards is having EVERYTHING ready to mold at once. All the pieces I've been posting over the last few months will need to be ready for DC or the Toronto Fan Expo show that we're doing here in town. As a result, unfortunately I wont be attending DC because the Toronto show is on the same weekend.:(

I'll be posting everything up here in the next week or so.
Exciting times, crazy times.....but I live for this.

Your question was in no way out of line. Actually, I'm surprised no one mentioned it sooner. :)

David

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back