Bandia Razor Crest Lighting

Antsnest

Sr Member
Started work on a lighting module for the Bandai Vehicle Model Razor Crest. These are always a challenge because of the size, but trying to get something internal was the trickiest yet! There is virtually no empty space inside that's not take up with mounting lugs, but there was a tiny void between the top of the main fuselage and the wings that was just big enough to get a microcontroller and support circuitry into...
I ended up with a PCB that is only 12mm x 15mm, and had to get them made only 0.6mm thick to allow enough height for the components as well
GQsnvjD.jpg

9vKsKYu.jpg

There is also just enough space between the inside of the engine exhaust piece and the end of it's mounting post to include a SMD LED. The wires to the LED can then run back through the engine and wing to the PCB, after cutting out a few notches in the internal parts to let the wire pass between mating surfaces. The power wires can be run out through the stand locating point.

8FDOHJw.jpg

Hz2Mrc8.jpg

hCA2SkE.jpg

The center of the engine is easy to drill out to let the light out but in this quick test I also liked the glow you get from just the spill through the plastic of the engine cowl. Sadly most of that will probably be lost when painted.

SOeOKnY.jpg

More to come...

Been diverted on other things for a while but just catching up on this....

LED wiring routed to engine pods - held in place with small blobs of "tacky glue". I cut channels through the mounting posts that secure the top part of the fuselage to allow for a straighter cable run
4soy9gN.jpg

Corresponding slots in the pegs on the upper part
bZUGECS.jpg

Position of LEDs on engine pods. Vehicle has been primed gloss black ready for an Alclad chrome finish.
nnIcpfL.jpg

I created tiny jet flames and printed them in clear resin, then tinted with clear yellow. These help bring out the light into the engine nozzle
vXSCGXs.jpg

R65lks8.jpg

Pt5CkAT.jpg

Power wires feed down through tiny holes in ball & socket joint on stand
L7VuqIU.jpg

A small extension has been printed for the base to contain the power source
gTTtI5O.jpg

y4Fq3Y3.jpg

LwsaNha.jpg

Finished off with a coat of Alclad Chrome. Because you only get the stickers and not proper decals with the kit, I made a couple of masks for the side marking and cut them out in vinyl on my Silhouette. Colour was then sponged through the masks in varying degrees to replicate the worn and battered look in the show.
The window stickers also make great masks - these were applied before the Chrome coat and then removed afterwards.
The one thing I wish I'd done in hindsight was to use 2 black wires for the power instead of one red, as this remains visible up the back of the stand. I tried painting over the red, and even tried permanent marker, but the insulation seems resistant to any coating!
2HtDZo0.jpg

Jm9DrxJ.jpg

pMGrPf4.jpg

ZV47Nu2.jpg

BwJ5npA.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back