Bandai release schedule

Looks great. The pilot seems appropriately sized and it seems to indicate a 13.3 cm (or about 5 and 3/16" ) length.

That's a little bigger than I thought, at least compared to the old Fantastic Plastic 1/72 A-wing (which is about 11.5 cm ) and the AMT 1/48 ish A-Wing which is about 16.5 cm

But then again, you don't have the oversized pilot stuffed in the cockpit like the studio model and I am guessing the pilot here can also fit comfortably in there without cutting the legs off so it makes sense from a practical standpoint

If you want that studio scale look, you'll have to stick in a larger pilot. If you want a more realistic size based on the full size set cockpit, this looks right

It's a good thing about the turbo laser.

But you know what I'd like even more than that or death star tiles? How about some hangar equipment and ground crew? Maybe a couple of droids.

That would really help out the smaller ships like a-wings and snowspeeders

133mm for 1/72 works out perfectly for the officially stated length of 9.6 meters. I like the A-wing being a little bigger.

Chris

With the turret, I'm definitely in.

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

I'm curious about the landing gear. AFAIK, it was never shown on screen and the filming models may not have had any but has been a common feature in toys. Bandai's engineers may have simply copied the gear found on the old MPC kit or used the same reference, but MPC also moulded a made-up landing gear for their TIE interceptor.

I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the folks at Bandai Hobby Center have this poster hanging around their desk.

I'm curious about the landing gear. AFAIK, it was never shown on screen and the filming models may not have had any but has been a common feature in toys. Bandai's engineers may have simply copied the gear found on the old MPC kit or used the same reference, but MPC also moulded a made-up landing gear for their TIE interceptor.

I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the folks at Bandai Hobby Center have this poster hanging around their desk.
It would be cool if the engineered something new. Like two in the front and one wide landing gear at the back

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Brilliant

Well so far they've used MPC's line as a guide,.....so if they continue hopefully there'll be a Shuttle, B-Wing, Interceptor, Star Destroyer & a Walker coming,.....& I'm still praying for a 1/72 Falcon

J

Man, if they do a 1/72 falcon, I'm all over that! B-Wing, Interceptor, Shuttle, Walker... all of it! I can see that I won't have much spare time or extra funds for awhile...lol

-Kris

Okay, so no one's gonna discuss the canopy? In the larger pic of the ship, it looks like there's a sizable step after the first section. In the smaller pic, from the rear, it might look better, but I can't tell--a little too small and grainy.

Remember too that that's just a 3D render. The actual kit part may fit a lot better after it get tooled. We should be seeing test shots soon.

Brilliant

Well so far they've used MPC's line as a guide,.....so if they continue hopefully there'll be a Shuttle, B-Wing, Interceptor, Star Destroyer & a Walker coming,.....& I'm still praying for a 1/72 Falcon

J

Bandai would knock it out of the park, if they did one.

TazMan2000

Brilliant

J

i wish I could like a post more than once as this one would qualify! ;) just add TIE Bomber and Republic Gunship too!

Chris

Do they realize the studio scale turret was 1/24th so that isn't even CLOSE to 1/72nd, but that quibble aside, it's a nice value add-on for a small ship like the A-Wing.

The small Mecha Collection Star Destroyer and X-wing should be released next month.

I may have erred when I said "similarly scaled", the description makes no mention of it; but whether the Death Star stands included in the previous kits are indeed 1/72nd is worth debating IMHO. I've always assumed the bases, Death Star or not, were in the same scale as the kits themselves. The movies may have used a lot of forced perspective scenes AFAIK and the filming models vary in size by a huge margin in some cases. Considering the dimensons of the studio model, I'll argue that Bandai's 1/72nd scale kit either depicts an overscale A-wing or an undersized pilot.

FWIW: Bandai's kits are nailing the dimensions that are on star wars dot com for every subject.

We had the same problem with the Snow Speeder. The studio kit used over scale pilots, so the Bandai kit's look too small by comparison.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back