Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon 1/72

for the ribs around the cockpit cone, did you use the photo etched part or the plastic ribs? it looks like the plastic option holds more detail.... damn im not sure what to pick :)

Great cockpit! I see you removed the back wall as well - good decision, let more light in!
Regarding the cockpit cone detail, I used the photoetched part because for me it looked better on a "real" spaceship. The plastic part seems to be more true to the studio model, especially as it has structured ribs and blocks the view into the holes at a certain angle.
Detailwise, they have both their pros and cons - in the end, it's a question of taste.

This one is still alive - I'm just quite busy at the moment. Never mind.
Some little progress: The corridor behind the boarding ramp, painted with Vallejo colors.

mf72_019osjwa.jpg

Cheers

Demigod

Let's continue!

The open pits won't be readily accessible after installing them, so I have to paint them now. I blackbased and gave them a brown tint to give the white on top a warm hue.

mf72_02081jgo.jpg

On the model:

mf72_021jrj7c.jpg

Marble coat and blend coat with MRP-099 Insignia White.

mf72_022vukta.jpg

Decals, Washing and some OPR:

mf72_023a5kfx.jpg

I'll add the rest of the weathering when the paint job on the whole Falcon is completed to keep everything consistent.

Cheers,

Demigod

The kit's engineering is superb. Everything slots in place by itself.

mf72_024ubjmi.jpg

I pre-primed the mandible pits because they won't be accessible later. And quite a lot of cables ...

mf72_025eckor.jpg

Same for the engine grilles: I needed to pre-paint them.

mf72_02615j1c.jpg

This is the main power connection via the landing gear: Needles that fit into brass tubes in the gear struts.

mf72_027wtjby.jpg

Construction is almost done! Soon, we'll start a weathering orgy ...

Cheers

Demigod

The kit's engineering is superb. Everything slots in place by itself.

This is the main power connection via the landing gear: Needles that fit into brass tubes in the gear struts.

View attachment 1293409

Very nice, I've considered a similar ship to shore arrangement myself too, but never had the opportunity. Were you inspired by the original X-wings?

To be honest, I don't know about the X-wing arrangement. I used that same technique to attach a "free flying" Jedi Fighter to an asteroid, and it worked fine. So I'm going to re-use that idea.

eta-2_galerie_02xqjcv.jpg

eta-2_galerie_0672kwp.jpg

Recently, I had difficulty posting in this thread. Let's see if it's OK now.

Now I am beginning to paint the beast. With black basing I try to get a used and interesting surface.

mf72_031gqka2.jpg

Primer coat with Surfacer 1500:

mf72_03217kht.jpg

To maintain a warm hue in the whites I added some brown patches.

mf72_033ofkry.jpg

Now the marble coat with MRP-99 Insignia White.

mf72_034b9j1c.jpg

Blending it all in ...

mf72_0359hkx4.jpg

... until we have a uniform but used surface.

mf72_036vtjxe.jpg

The close-up shows the the marble coat still shining through.

mf72_037eek4e.jpg

That's a good base for the upcoming weathering. See you soon!

Demigod

OK, the weathering is done. I used oil colors to add lots of tonal variation.

mf72_047hwk7e.jpg

I soldered a little circuit board to distribute the incoming power to the LEDs. Small connectors and individual potis will help me finetune the brightness of each light source.
The board will fit exactly into the battery box receptacle in the fuselage.

mf72_0484hkfo.jpg

mf72_049hzkoj.jpg

Now, let's close that thing up!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back