Bandai 1-144 Millennium Falcon ANH version

I am getting so tired of the Mcquarrie fan service going on with Disney right now.

As great as his designs were, the real magic happened with the model maker IMHO. That's when the Used universe really took off.

A lot of the things attributed to Mcquarrie weren't designed by him, only painted. For instance the Death Star, the Xwing were done by Colin Cantwells.

A lot of the things attributed to Mcquarrie weren't designed by him, only painted. For instance the Death Star, the Xwing were done by Colin Cantwells.

Well, to be fair, all of the designs originated with George Lucas. He made the initial sketches and told the designers what he wanted. It's not a disservice to McQuarrie, Cantwell, Johnston or any other designers on Star Wars to say that they were artists for hire working to achieve the director's vision. Even the "used universe" stuff goes back to George, who would examine the models and walk through the finished sets and tell the crew to beat them up even more.

I wonder if that's true. If you watch the behind the scenes of the new trilogy you can see that he is picking designs they artists made before he even had the story written, and often the designs dictated the story, and even changed it. So he might say, " I need a fast looking ship" and then pick the one he likes, but he didn't say, "make this look like *whatever*" I've never seen any drawings with George Lucas's name on them anyway.

I wonder if that's true. If you watch the behind the scenes of the new trilogy you can see that he is picking designs they artists made before he even had the story written, and often the designs dictated the story, and even changed it. So he might say, " I need a fast looking ship" and then pick the one he likes, but he didn't say, "make this look like *whatever*" I've never seen any drawings with George Lucas's name on them anyway.
I think that was well into the process for ESB ROJ and the prequels
Lucas sat down with Ralph and explained what he wanted to see, then Johnston took Macquaries painting and created practical designs that could be modelled, as hunk a junk said it all began with George, later once the artists knew the look he wanted and he was burned out with filming ANH he left it up to them to give him multiple ideas , a process he continued on with for future films

WOW...just WOW :popcorn
I love it...i want it :D . Really good job John :thumbsup.
I wish i had the skills.

Ha,...well....you know me!!

The images you posted a while ago shows you have great skill mate:thumbsup

Very nice j,

Thanks matesy

Damn it! I really like/prefer the smooth hull underside of the ANH Falcon. I never noticed it before, but now that I have I can't not see it! Now I want one too, but I don't think I can make a head mods like you have. Brilliant work.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Dragons 1/144 Falcon will be an ANH version to differentiate it from Bandai's kit.

Chris

The Bandai kit is made of perfect plastic for modifying,....you should have a go,...take your time,...I don't use saws (most of the time),....score with a blade & snap......if youve done something wrong,...its easy to glue the piece back......

....I'd like to see what Dragon have in store,....& how the Falcon would compare to the FM & Bandai 1/144 models

Hey j!

One question:

Masking fluid, chipping, or salt?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I just use masking fluid.....I've tried the salt method,...but masking fluid is easier.....I use liquid latex with a couple of drops of paint mixed in,...just to make it easier to see on the model,

I use ripped up sponge pieces to dab the latex on,....the sponge gives nice random patterns

J

In the Making of Star Wars book there are Lucas sketches of the X-Wing, TIE fighter and Death Star to give the artists direction.
1000x263px-LL-3d9290ba_SWlucassketchesCapture.jpg
Even if Lucas says, "I need a fast looking ship," he's the one initiating the artistic direction. The artists are there to create vehicles and characters for the show. The director may have one idea, then see a sketch and alter his or her original plan, but that's how pre-production works. It's very fluid. I think some fans would like to think that McQuarrie or Johnston were sitting around sketching spaceships in their free time and Lucas just came and snatched them away yelling, "Mine! Mine! MIne!"

- - - Updated - - -

.I use liquid latex with a couple of drops of paint mixed in,...just to make it easier to see on the model,

I use ripped up sponge pieces to dab the latex on,....the sponge gives nice random patterns

J

The paint idea is brilliant. I've lost track of where I've applied masking fluid before. Definitely going to do this.

I think some fans would like to think that McQuarrie or Johnston were sitting around sketching spaceships in their free time and Lucas just came and snatched them away yelling, "Mine! Mine! MIne!"

It sounds so much more probable and funny the way you describe it. But if you look at Cantwell's drawings, they look look way earlier than even those drawings you posted. Watch the videos.

Sabs

Watched the videos. Cantwell is describing a very familiar design process. The director meets with the artist, says, "I need this, in the script I'm thinking it should do that..." The designer makes some suggestions, the director responds, the designs are revised, etc. Cantwell says George would come to him with ideas and then Cantwell would propose things. It's a basic creative back and forth. Sometimes the director has specific ideas and other times they're more vague. Sometimes the artist will suggest an idea and the director will get inspired and run with it -- like the Death Star trench idea. At the end of the day, however, Cantwell was hired to execute George's vision, not the other way around. I've met plenty of fans who don't understand the production process (and I have worked in production) who, because of their unhappiness with George Lucas, want to believe that he just "stole" ideas from other people. It's just not true. These were artists for hire. It's their job to sketch concepts to inspire the director and collaborate on ideas. That's the weird thing with some SW fans. On the one hand, they want to believe George was a dictator who refused to collaborate, but then when there are examples of him collaborating they attribute all the good ideas to the collaborators and accuse George of stealing.

Wow, your falcons look awesome. I still can't believe how wonderful this Bandai Falcon looks at such a small scale. I seriously hope they release this in 1/72 scale, can you imagine, lol.

Thanks guys,....I posted my progress on the grilles from Green Strawberry over on my TFA Falcon thread,....so I'll update this one

I bought the PE set from Green Strawberry,....lovely,...so much detail.....painted it up,....perfect.....I test fitted them & they sat a little too high,...above the ring of the exhaust tubes,...so I left the bottom part off the PE to make the completed part a little thinner,.....glued the part in

Next day I was annoyed that the part was still too high looking,....so I used a scalpel blade & removed the grilles again......& decided to remove some of the plastic from inside the tube to allow the grilles to sit lower,...this was it after being lowered:

IMG_3737_zpsagfykkjw.jpg

It was a bit messy looking after being applied, removed & reapplied

I cleaned it all up again & resprayed,....still not happy

I removed the PE,....warping and permanently damaging them,...I placed in the kit-part & it looks perfect,...so I don't know wether to re-order new PE parts or go with the kit parts

Dunno,...but there e other parts to concentrate on while I'm mulling it over

Thanks for looking
John

I'm curious on your methods for doing the physical damage. Are you using a dremel or soldering iron, perhaps a combo of the two or something else I'm not thinking of?

Great work by the way. Looking forward to the progress.

I'd leave them damaged. If you can smooth out the paint, ie strip and repaint, I'm sure they'd be fine.
They are certainly not perfect and undamaged on the 5 footer. When I commit to starting mine, they'll be
getting a few dings.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back