Any thoughts on Christopher Nolan directing the next Bond film?

Pepperbone

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
New cast, new style (?).

If anyone can take 007 to a more mature level of fantasy, it would be him.

Wishful-thinking rumors are circulating about how post-OPPENHEIMER might be a good time for Nolan and Amazon to start planning a potential revamp. I can see Amazon giving him all the space and resources he wants.

Is it plausible?
Would it be good?
Is there an audience for more Bond?

I think it could work. Might bring Bond back to the more “modern fantasy” setting of unique gadgets. I would like to see Nolan’s take on the character.

Bond has honestly been a bit boring to me and Ive been watching more Mission Impossible so a new breath of fresh air would be cool.

Nolan might be good in producer or consultant type role. I dunno about Nolan handling it more directly as a writer/director.

I get the feeling he wouldn't be into it. Not at this stage in his career. He would just be going through the motions for a paycheck. That's usually not the best path to get good creative art.

Spielberg directed 'Jurassic Park 2: Lost World' for a buck. It was serviceable but it's no classic.

Literally anything would be better than the crap we got with the Daniel Craig versions. I think he was an okay Bond, but the lack of cool gadgets, vehicles, and goofy bad guys made those movies a steaming pile. I only watched the first couple, and the only redeeming value was Gemma Arterton!

Nolan might be good in producer or consultant type role. I dunno about Nolan handling it more directly as a writer/director.

I get the feeling he wouldn't be into it. Not at this stage in his career. He would just be going through the motions for a paycheck. That's usually not the best path to get good creative art.

Spielberg directed 'Jurassic Park 2: Lost World' for a buck. It was serviceable but it's no classic.
In case you didn’t know, Bond is actually something he’s always been interested in, and I believe he even made a pitch to Barbara Broccoli a few years ago.

I’m not entirely certain about that meeting, so don’t quote me on it, but I vaguely remember him mentioning his interest during the Inception days.

This guy, an older bond going into retirement. With Tim Burton directing, ; )

rowan_atkinson_jako_johnny_english.jpg

In an alternative universe, that would have been awesome. But Rowan Atkinson did already have a smart part in Never say Never Again and he created and starred as the James Bond parody character Johnny English in three movies (the second one was OK), so I think the audience would just be confused.

I think he did a pretty good portrayal of George Simenon's Commissioner Maigret in a series of TV movies, proving that he can indeed play non-comedy roles. And with his experience of car racing, he could probably have done half of the car stunts himself.

Last edited:
I mean, I'm a Bond nerd. I'd be fine if they did some more. They've always been kind of wishy washy on continuity, each movie feels more intact when you view them as stand alone stories about a character than in any sort of chronological order. He functions more like a comic book character than any traditional film series. They could kill Bond at the end of every 4 movies for all I care, as long as they made the movies a fun trip through a campy yet serious dumb British spy movie.

The Bond franchise belongs in the last century. There, I said it.

Indy belongs in the 1930s. 'Smokey and the Bandit' belongs in the 1970s. 'Miami Vice' belongs in the 1980s. It happens. We have just lost sight of this fact with Bond because they kept him going for so long.

But it is what it is. Bond is 'Mad Men'-era sexuality. It's spy gadgets from back when there were physically possible things that weren't already commercialized. It's cold-war international rivalries with hostile countries that actually scared us. It's a world that isn't too interconnected for secret agents to go missing for days at a time. Etc.

They made Bond movies all the way into the 2020s. I know. But what does that prove? They made an Indy movie in the 1950s and a new one is coming in 1969. They made some 'Bandit' TV movies in the 1990s. They made a 'Miami Vice' movie in the 2000s. Everything is possible. Not everything is good.

Not sure there is a big enough audience...the director isn't enough to make a big enough splash to rope in all the cattle since we are already over saturated with remakes galore...I stopped watching after Brosnan. You'd need a real heavyweight to garner attention. In my mind I can picture Henry Cavil giving us a Timothy Dalton feel but I don't know.

I think one Bond movie every 4-5 years would be good. Spend some time writing it well. Make it more of an event when it happens. The role gets recast more often so it's less wrapped around a specific actor. Etc.

Literally anything would be better than the crap we got with the Daniel Craig versions. I think he was an okay Bond, but the lack of cool gadgets, vehicles, and goofy bad guys made those movies a steaming pile. I only watched the first couple, and the only redeeming value was Gemma Arterton!

I beg to differ Sir!

You clearly meant Eva Green. ;)

He was pretty good in The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
I found it a very re-watchable film, and quite often choose it when there is nothing new on airplane flights.
A definitely different character but it could work...as an actor i like Tom hiddleston too. His performance in The Night Manager was excellent. He also could carry the role. Without trying to sound like a broken record...i'm just tired of redoing the same thing over and over. It's interesting that in our current generation, nothing is really becoming a sound classic that you can picture 20yrs from now being viable. It seems video games are producing better story lines than movies these days and then they make a movie after the video game. We need to start thinking outside the box a little better.

Matpat of Film Theory suggested he may do a franchise film next, citing James Bond and Star Wars as possibles. TBH, considering how both have kinda gone down hill (even more so how many times directors have been removed from Star Wars projects due to “creative differences”), it would be hard for him to do the film the way he’d want to do it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back