another Spinner . 6th scale. printed

Fantastic job!

Mark Stetson and Tom Pahk would be impressed. I remember working at Boss film in 88-89 and coming across a very tired shriveled up mold of a 2" spinner that was used for building tops and background . I soaked it in silicone spray in a ziplock bag for two weeks. It slowly restored back to its original shape. No, I didnt keep it. No, I dont have any castings. I gave the mold back to Mark many many years ago.

I work in the art department and I said to one of the younger crew something about Blade Runner and they said.
"Oh, that's on my list of films to watch." I haven't quite recovered from the shock of feeling very old and the fact
that these kids who are designing today's films don't have the same desire to soak up every bit of film history.

I work in the art department and I said to one of the younger crew something about Blade Runner and they said.
"Oh, that's on my list of films to watch." I haven't quite recovered from the shock of feeling very old and the fact
that these kids who are designing today's films don't have the same desire to soak up every bit of film history.
Philistines I say, philistines:rolleyes::eek:

Yeah I hear ya. I started out working in miniature effects (1988-2010) and transitioned to the art dept. in 2011. When I worked at Boss film I was basically being mentored by the crew that did the miniatures for Bladerunner, Ghostbusters ,2010 and Die Hard. Some of the buildings were still up in the loft from BR. From 1990-1995 I found myself back with Mark Stetson as his shop SVSI . Every time I went into the storage trailer I had to navigate around a chunk of the HADES landscape and always got cut up by the etched brass. Also moving Bill Georges unfinished Millennium Falcon that was converted into a building for the city shots was the bane of my existence navigating that storage container.

Its quite sad that so many of the younger generation are unfamiliar with so many classic films. Whats more frustrating is when they see them , especially films PRE CGI and make the comments "wow that CGI is really good" . Then I correct them and they look shocked that they were miniatures and simply find it hard to believe we could do those kinds of things practically. When I was growing up I was watching the films the Lydecker bros. did . Its their work and the work of Magicam, Apogee and ILM that got me started on that career path. Im seeing a resurgence of miniatures in smaller fan or independant projects which is so nice to see but sadly Im affraid Hollywood has moved on. If they are used its only out of nostalgia. Nolan uses them more than anyone. I worked on The Dark Knight and Inception building miniatures for those films at New Deal Studios. After I left there to work in the Art Dept. they went on a little longer doing Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. More recently Ian Hunter did miniatures for First man and Foundation .

Its becoming a lost art. Its really up to the fans now to keep that craft alive. I wish more could enjoy what I got to see and do all those years. Such good memories and a golden era.

Yeah I hear ya. I started out working in miniature effects (1988-2010) and transitioned to the art dept. in 2011. When I worked at Boss film I was basically being mentored by the crew that did the miniatures for Bladerunner, Ghostbusters ,2010 and Die Hard. Some of the buildings were still up in the loft from BR. From 1990-1995 I found myself back with Mark Stetson as his shop SVSI . Every time I went into the storage trailer I had to navigate around a chunk of the HADES landscape and always got cut up by the etched brass. Also moving Bill Georges unfinished Millennium Falcon that was converted into a building for the city shots was the bane of my existence navigating that storage container.

Its quite sad that so many of the younger generation are unfamiliar with so many classic films. Whats more frustrating is when they see them , especially films PRE CGI and make the comments "wow that CGI is really good" . Then I correct them and they look shocked that they were miniatures and simply find it hard to believe we could do those kinds of things practically. When I was growing up I was watching the films the Lydecker bros. did . Its their work and the work of Magicam, Apogee and ILM that got me started on that career path. Im seeing a resurgence of miniatures in smaller fan or independant projects which is so nice to see but sadly Im affraid Hollywood has moved on. If they are used its only out of nostalgia. Nolan uses them more than anyone. I worked on The Dark Knight and Inception building miniatures for those films at New Deal Studios. After I left there to work in the Art Dept. they went on a little longer doing Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. More recently Ian Hunter did miniatures for First man and Foundation .

Its becoming a lost art. Its really up to the fans now to keep that craft alive. I wish more could enjoy what I got to see and do all those years. Such good memories and a golden era.
We must have almost bump in to each other ,dark knight and inception. I ran the model shop on event horizon and got an e mail from some guy asking for the digital files of the ship. He was shocked when I told him that the film was made in 96 and I did even own a pc till 2000.

Nolan uses them more than anyone. I worked on The Dark Knight and Inception building miniatures for those films at New Deal Studios. After I left there to work in the Art Dept. they went on a little longer doing Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. More recently Ian Hunter did miniatures for First man and Foundation .
I must have just missed you. I built miniatures at New Deal for Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar, among many others.

I must have just missed you. I built miniatures at New Deal for Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar, among many others.
Yeah the very last project I did with them was a commercial for a video game I cant even recall. Before that was the hospital explosion for Inception. By January 2011 I was on the first Avengers movie working on the quinjet in the art department.

Where are you at these days?

Last edited:
We must have almost bump in to each other ,dark knight and inception. I ran the model shop on event horizon and got an e mail from some guy asking for the digital files of the ship. He was shocked when I told him that the film was made in 96 and I did even own a pc till 2000.
Both of those shows I was at New Deal Studios when they were still in Marina Del Rey.

Event horizon, crazy beautiful miniatures on that one. Dave Stewart was the miniature DP and Dave Sharp was the miniature effects supervisor on that one. Dave Stewart, a master. Worked with him on the Hunt for Red October at Boss Film in 1989. Of course he was also the DP on Blade Runner and Star Trek the Motion Picture. As I recall he passed away in 97. A true loss.

Yeah the very last project I did with them was a commercial for a video game I cant even recall. Before that was the hospital explosion for Inception. By January 2011 I was on the first Avengers movie working on the quinjet in the art department.

Where are you at these days?
I'm at Legacy Effects.

Both of those shows I was at New Deal Studios when they were still in Marina Del Rey.

Event horizon, crazy beautiful miniatures on that one. Dave Stewart was the miniature DP and Dave Sharp was the miniature effects supervisor on that one. Dave Stewart, a master. Worked with him on the Hunt for Red October at Boss Film in 1989. Of course he was also the DP on Blade Runner and Star Trek the Motion Picture. As I recall he passed away in 97. A true loss.
Oh I can tell you story’s about Dave, he grumble at me all the time telling me a wouldn’t be able to get the models made in time. Then on my last day he called me to his office and told me I was going to be on every movie he did after that. As you know he then died. I’m st good friends with Richard Yuricitch and I’m visiting Dave Sharp in a few weeks. who funny I was in charge of the new quin jet and the Russian qin jet. For a wile that all I seamed to do was space ship. I’ve always regretted missing out on the hay day of miniature effects. I was lucky enough to work with Greg G and Derik Medings ,Jo Viskosal. You can’t beat a model shoot. I’m not upset with the things I’ve got to do but, I worked for Jim Henson when we quoted on Jurassic park after TMNT. We lost it because the war broke out ( I think Stan did a way better job than we would have done) we the film came out even though we didnt work on it we all went together for a screening.When we walked out we all knew the writing was on the wall. CG then aggressively came for every job pushing us all out. They would just wait for our quote and then under cut it even if they would make no money. CG is all about bulk not quality, get as much as you can and get it moved to post . Oooh stop I’m ranting and its late and I don’t have my glasses on.

Last edited:
Oh I can tell you story’s about Dave, he grumble at me all the time telling me a wouldn’t be able to get the models made in time. Then on my last day he called me to his office and told me I was going to be on every movie he did after that. As you know he then died. I’m st good friends with Richard Yuricitch and I’m visiting Dave Sharp in a few weeks. Back in the 90 I was offered a job
Dave was a bit grouchy at times , but he did have a soft side. I sadly didnt get to spend as much time working with him as I would have liked but Im grateful for the time I got. Good grief I havent seen Richard or Dave in years. I worked with his nephews (his brother Matts kids) Mark and Dana on many projects at SVSI. My found memories of Matt were watching him work on a matte painting at Boss film. I was the only other person that got to the studio at 5 am besides Matt and he would have a huge boom box blasting polka music while he painted. It was crazy to watch.

I worked with Richard on a few projects through SVSI. Cant say we really hit it off but Im grateful to have worked with him. Never worked directly with Dave but we did work on a couple of the same projects.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back