Another Capt. America Shield, MINI Shield Finished! (Battle Damaged)

Re: Another Capt. America Shield Build (Battle Damaged)

Thanks for the thumbs up, I mounted the small stars I purchased from Valor on My sons shield looks like a good size, also scribed some lines to for the paint on the small shield, will paint it tomorrow also went ahead and made some leather mounts on the back of my shield , I'll shoot some pics of that in a bit.
minishield2.jpg

minishield3.jpg

Built a Bracket system for my shield, (Note:Valors bracket system is the way to go), but this will be fine for my first build, aluminum plates welded together, I used 1.5 inch leather belts. I'm making the same kind of bracket for the little shields , just with 1 inch leather, Mini Brackets.
shieldbraket1.jpg

shieldbracket2.jpg

shieldbracket3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Really cool man. I love seeing happy kids. While this isn't my bracket system, I do have another run of them for sale in the Junkyard (shameless plug).

Those kids shields are great! I am making one for my fiance's American Dream Costume that is a bit smaller as well. :)

How nice does that paint spray? I'm always leary of rattle can paint. I like my Krylon though, not counting Tamiya, Krylon has some of the best spray paint.

Man that's gorgeous work right there!

Do you mind if I ask how you scribed the lines in the smaller shields?

Among the pile in the shop right now is a steel saucer sled ala Valor and I've been hesitant to attempt the grooves due to the thinness of the material. I've thought of making a sled laminate / sandwich so that I could do so but I've not done so yet.

Last edited:

Man that's gorgeous work right there!

Do you mind if I ask how you scribed the lines in the smaller shields?

Among the pile in the shop right now is a steel saucer sled ala Valor and I've been hesitant to attempt the grooves due to the thinness of the material. I've thought of making a sled laminate / sandwich so that I could do so but I've not done so yet.

I used a set of tools called Trammel points, like a compass but it has two separate sections that you attach to bar stock, you can make any size circles as you have length of bar stock, here is a set, mine aren't as nice as these, Trammel Points - Rockler Woodworking Tools

I used a set of tools called Trammel points, like a compass but it has two separate sections that you attach to bar stock, you can make any size circles as you have length of bar stock, here is a set, mine aren't as nice as these, Trammel Points - Rockler Woodworking Tools

I'm going to go ahead and thump myself on the head now because that makes near perfect sense. When I marked out the circle to cut off the rim of the saucer that I'm using I dummied up a poor man's version using the center hole and a spare piece of rod stock that I had in the shop. This is muuuuuch nicer and I do loves me some Rockler so it's a double win.

Did you replace the existing point with a cold chisel or use the default?

How nice does that paint spray? I'm always leary of rattle can paint. I like my Krylon though, not counting Tamiya, Krylon has some of the best spray paint.

Tamiya is the absolute best, .. but there clear blue and clear reds are way off in shade color. The reds are too pink, and the blue is too baby bluish. The testors spray almost as well as the tamiya, but the shades are much better.

Some Battle Damage done, a Little more to do mainly remove a bit, but looks pretty good, really hard to take pictures of this shield, Flash, no Flash, sun no sun??
shieldweathering1.jpg

shieldweathering2.jpg

shieldweathering3.jpg

shieldweathering4.jpg

shieldweathering5.jpg

Great job on the battle damage, I like your paint job, but love the battle damage even more.

Damage looks great. How did you do that?

Thanks, I have a Profiles in history catalogue, where they auctioned a bunch of Screen used Capt. props so I kinda used that as a reference, here is a shot, but the shields got so damaged you could do anything you want, I took the clean shield and sat down on the couch with some acetone and a finger in a paper towel and did the rubbing, I was going to use a dremel tool but I remembered that the metal that the shield is made out of is suppose to be super tough so just the finish would get messed up, so rub with the acetone then took a small brush with some testor Black and a bit of brush cleaner and added the black bits you can rub it as it dries to get the look. The shield was so clean at the start I was a bit worried, but once you do the first mark it becomes fun.
Thanks for looking.
Al
profilesq.jpg

Cool!! can't wait to start my project as well. gonna be a long wait before my blank shield arrive.

This was my first, and it was fun, but I'm really enjoying doing my kids shields, I finished My son's (Stone) He is in heaven, The mini Bracket system came out sweet also, I am planning on doing a Mini run of Mini Shields. With the same Brackets, clean or battle damaged!!
finishedminishield1.jpg

finishedminishield2.jpg

minibrackets.jpg

minibracket2.jpg

bothshields.jpg

Those mini shields are really sweet, I would have love to have one as a kid ! Actually if I didn't have a full scale one, I would probably have wanted one !
And your technique to paint the edges of the star in blue works surprisingly well, in some of your pictures I thought the star was engraved... Well done Sir !
Did you give it a clear coat too ? It seems to shine a little less than other shields here, more like the real thing ... Maybe a semi-gloss clear coat ?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back