ANH Imperial Coffe Mugs

Found higher def pic.

cup cu.jpg

While looking I noticed tons of tupperware used in the cantina.
Even spotted a guy in a grey an black jacket I hadn't noticed before

Also remember the Tupperware pieces used for the Sandtrooper backpacks. Look for pieces used in other parts of the movie that may have had other components not used for that prop that were available for re-use elsewhere. Also also, the Jell-ette molds don't have flared tops -- there's a slight outward angle to the upper portion, but it's straight all the way up, not counting the slightest lip for the lid to attach to. The lid, on the other hand, if one cut off the outer portion (that locks it onto the mold), looks like it'd drop right into the top of that thing, and may be the "flared" black lip people are seeing.

I've some speculations for the rest, but nothing to base it on beyond ways it could have been done, that I could do. *shrug* All with Tupperware.

Found higher def pic.

Nice shot! Looks like there's a cut line showing right in the center of that top silver band.
It's very possible that it's just a black cup with bands of silver tape on it. It's probably just a little taller than what's visible so it's resting inside the Jell-ette mold.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the Jell-ette mold. It's simply painted black with a silver tape band at the bottom.
The shape matches up perfect. No modifications necessary. The hi res photo above makes that pretty clear.

So I definitely see a black Tupperware or child's cup being used for the top portion. And definitely looks like bubbled, uneven metal ducting tape for the metallic stripes.

I'm wondering if they took an insulated cup (outer and inner layer, vacuum between), cut a ring out of the outer layer, then wrapped each band with ducting tape... It'd still be one piece, and they could just pop the narrowed bottom part off for stability.

Sorry to necropost, but the reference here has been amazingly useful, so wanted this to also sit alongside as a thanks to those who have gone before. I've been obsessing about small hand props lately and stumbled on this older thread - started work on my own Death Star conference table cup. With an original Tupperware found object in hand, I've modeled an accurate (outer dimensions at least) printable Jel-ette mold base for the cup:

IMG_8642.JPG

The fact we haven't identified the upper cup is frustrating, so I've had to eyeball a bit of the design and execution of that part. I'm going to make my replica a little less "screen accurate" by painting the chrome versus using aluminum tape, so I included the troughs to allow for some dimensionality.

Just for anyone doing a real found parts hunt for the actual cup from ANH, the dimensions we're likely aiming for are roughly 73-74mm in diameter and 70mm high, give or take. I would wager it was from the Tupperware catalog - a short tumbler of some sort.

IMG_8643.JPG
IMG_8640.jpg

I'll update when I get this complete - once I know I'm 100% happy with the files I'll drop them over on Printables.

Sorry to necropost, but the reference here has been amazingly useful, so wanted this to also sit alongside as a thanks to those who have gone before. I've been obsessing about small hand props lately and stumbled on this older thread - started work on my own Death Star conference table cup. With an original Tupperware found object in hand, I've modeled an accurate (outer dimensions at least) printable Jel-ette mold base for the cup:

The fact we haven't identified the upper cup is frustrating, so I've had to eyeball a bit of the design and execution of that part. I'm going to make my replica a little less "screen accurate" by painting the chrome versus using aluminum tape, so I included the troughs to allow for some dimensionality.

Just for anyone doing a real found parts hunt for the actual cup from ANH, the dimensions we're likely aiming for are roughly 73-74mm in diameter and 70mm high, give or take. I would wager it was from the Tupperware catalog - a short tumbler of some sort.

I'll update when I get this complete - once I know I'm 100% happy with the files I'll drop them over on Printables.
This is great!

Alright, I'm still figuring out finishing and masking, so it's a little rough. But in general I'm happy with both the model and the finished result. I might replace the upper silver with some aluminum tape eventually. But for now I'm calling this good. So I've uploaded the file over on Printables - would love to see others' takes on the mug (or use the Jel-ette mold as a greeblie somewhere else).

IMG_8685.JPG

Last edited:
Wow. Another prop I hadn't noticed, don't need, and yet I'll end up making. I have the aluminum tape, so why not?
And a big thank you to TJJohn12 for doing the 3D work. The mold part looks great.

Good ESB find. Looks like the black base is slightly recessed, in theory where it could fit into the Jelly cup.
Tear this ship apart, i want that cup!
1715565820566.png

I wonder if we should look into doing a professionally factory-made drinking cup with these specs... we could possibly do a Death Star and a Cloud City version... sets of two, or two each... oh, the possibilities...

I wonder if we should look into doing a professionally factory-made drinking cup with these specs... we could possibly do a Death Star and a Cloud City version... sets of two, or two each... oh, the possibilities...

I wonder if it can't just be the Death Star version but modular. The mug being two components that screw together with an option for a cap for the metal portion, if anyone wants that version alone, and a cap ring for the Jell-ette cup portion to cover the threaded portion (which should be stainless steel to match the base).

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention the cross knurling or diamond pattern on the “metal” parts of these cups, both the three rings on the top and the smaller ring on the bottom.

IMG_5948.jpeg

So if it’s strips of metallic tape wrapped around it, we’re going to need to track down a very specific textured metallic tape to authentically replicate these cups. If they are actual metal rings, a very fine cross knurling will need to be added to replica machined metal cups.

I actually modeled up the Tupperware Jel-ette a while back myself for the purposes of sorting out the dimensions of the rest of the cup, but haven’t had the chance to do much beyond that.

IMG_5949.jpeg

IMG_5950.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention the cross knurling or diamond pattern on the “metal” parts of these cups, both the three rings on the top and the smaller ring on the bottom.

View attachment 1819997

Nevermind, just found this quickly searching online: 3M EMI Embossed Shielding Tape. This particular roll is 3/4in thick but they have rolls 2in wide and that looks perfect for this (it doesn't have pictures of it, though). Like all Star Wars things, it's kind pricey.

EDIT: Found it on Amazon HERE and on this site with a photo of the product:

Z1t8vvhcpEx_.jpg

Pattern seems a bit big but it's a close find for 5 minutes of searching.

Last edited:

View attachment 1819997
So if it’s strips of metallic tape wrapped around it, we’re going to need to track down a very specific textured metallic tape to authentically replicate these cups. If they are actual metal rings, a very fine cross knurling will need to be added to replica machined metal cups.

I actually modeled up the Tupperware Jel-ette a while back myself for the purposes of sorting out the dimensions of the rest of the cup, but haven’t had the chance to do much beyond that.

View attachment 1820001
View attachment 1820002
Great work Cantina Dude! Awesome.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back