ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

BLASTER in the interest thread asked:

It is very helpful where you listed what other versions/props used a particular part. If you could do that for each part in the buy thread that would be great. I will buy multiples of some parts if I can figure out which ones go on other versions.

I know the parts we are making can be used on several DL44 style models as well as other props. Maybe we can pinpoint the uses?

ANH HERO - ALL
MerrSonn- Barrel/Booster, Antenna, T Track, FULL ComLink Grills, Flash Hider
ROTJ cast LUKE promo gun- FH, Barrel
BunkerBlaster- Barrel, Mount, Scope,
ComLink- FULL GRILL
NR and ST Builds!
What am I missing?

Let's see..This all I can remember at the moment.

Flash Hider: ANH Hero DL-44, Merr Sonn & ESB Stunt

Scope Mount: Sitting Target, ANH Hero DL-44 & ROTJ Bunker Blaster

Scope: Sitting Target, ANH Hero DL-44 & ROTJ Bunker Blaster

Grill Cylinder: ANH Hero DL-44, Merr Sonn, Greedo's Blaster, DDC Defender and Stormtrooper Comlink

T-track: Several OT lightsabers, ANH Hero DL-44, Merr Sonn, Stormtrooper Blasters, Greedo's Blaster, Jawa Blaster Pistol and ROTJ Fett Blaster (Our track length won't work with long Blasters and Sabers)

Antenna/Toggle: ANH Hero DL-44, Merr Sonn, Greedo's Blaster, Jawa Blaster Pistol and Landspeeder Cockpit (possibly not our length antennas)

Bull Barrels: ANH Hero DL-44, Merr Sonn, ESB Stunt and ROTJ Bunker Blaster (possibly)

I know I'm missing something, so anyone feel free to fill in the rest! :thumbsup

-Carson

Last edited:

I just talked with the machinist about the plan. He is going to make up a PDF order sheet with the different kits and separate parts so everyone can just fill it out and email directly to him so he can process.

It will have a check list and area for shipping info.

He will also set up a site to show progress etc.

I guess he will process all the orders he gets from the Interest/Sales thread and any stragglers that get in before he breaks down the jigs and set-ups.

If there is more interest after, they will have to wait until this run is complete and there are enough orders to set up again, otherwise the costs will be higher... so get in now!

We are doing it this way, direct to the shop, to keep the cost down as low as possible. There are no middle men. As you know, neither Carson nor myself are receiving any compensation from this project, so the prices you will be getting are at "cost" and will be extremely reasonable, especially for the quality and detail of the parts, which as you know are over a year+ in the making of research, comparison and help from the RPF members following this thread and especially Carson (Deadbolt) for his outstanding 3d modeling of these parts!

By the way... Happy Anniversary + 12 days to this thread!

Maybe this question has been asked here before. Where can I find the 'greedokiller' flash hider? Is that possibly something that could be offered as well?

Why reverse the scope?

Here's my take on that. If I was the person making this gun, and for whatever reason I 'had' to make it with that super long barrel and long flash hider, if I mounted the scope 'correctly' the barrel would 'look' even longer then it really is.

With the scope reversed, the front end of the scope and the front end of the barrel are much closer together and help give the illusion of a regular Solo gun.

Maybe this question has been asked here before. Where can I find the 'greedokiller' flash hider? Is that possibly something that could be offered as well?

They are available.

It is a M9 flash hider for a M3 grease gun.

Look around you can get them cheaper then here: I got one not too long ago for $20

Item:7581709 M9 Flash Hider Cone for M3 Grease Gun For Sale at GunAuction.com

8a533fc02146715c900e1526a7a8229b.jpg

check it out here:

BlasTech DL-44

Here's my take on that. If I was the person making this gun, and for whatever reason I 'had' to make it with that super long barrel and long flash hider, if I mounted the scope 'correctly' the barrel would 'look' even longer then it really is.

With the scope reversed, the front end of the scope and the front end of the barrel are much closer together and help give the illusion of a regular Solo gun.

...as good a reasoning as any.

Still, there is no reasonable explanation of why they chose to make it like that...knowing how the other guns looked... that IS what the reference photos were for after all.

Some one should do a documentary on the prop guys and ask the questions!

Are you listening Hirohawa? :)

...as good a reasoning as any.

Still, there is no reasonable explanation of why they chose to make it like that...knowing how the other guns looked... that IS what the reference photos were for after all.

Some one should do a documentary on the prop guys and ask the questions!

Are you listening Hirohawa? :)

:thumbsup

WOuld be a fun project!

UPDATE:
We are waiting on a quote for the anodizing so we can post the sale thread.

Also: We are trying to get the very best pricing on these great parts and in order to quote them accurately, the machinist needs an accurate idea of numbers of parts he will need to run so he can order the materials etc. Like everything, the more the cheaper.

If possible, just so we can get a little more accurate number of parts on the interest thread, Please go back and edit your posts to say "what" you are interested in. If Interested means a full KIT, please say so, and if Aluminum or Steel. ( The KITs are identical except that the Steel KIT will have a Steel FH, Barrel and Mount. All other parts are Aluminum.)

If we can get a better count, we can get a better price and he can order the materials.

The list/order form and pricing will be posted in the next week or so.

He is looking to begin the run mid July and will post updates so we can follow the progress but once he starts the run it should go fairly quickly.

So please edit your Interest thread posts as soon as you can. Be as detailed as you want.

Thanks,

Thanks for editing your posts! We have a better idea now of the numbers.

I am surprised that there are not more people interested in the hyper accurate parts but we seem to have enough to start a run.

Carson is working up the list and order sheet. Since there are a bunch of options we will post the list and maybe a downloadable PDF or something to check off.

We will include a detailed description of the parts and options so you can be very clear on what you want.

When the run is open, you will have time to fill out the form and return directly to the shop for processing.

They will reply and confirm your order and will provide updates and progress reports you can view on their site.

Mgoob (Mike) in the interest thread posted some questions and concerns and even though I think we covered them through out the thread, this is a good opportunity to get the answers in one place/time.

We had posted a sheet with all the comparisons in the discussion thread. All the models were close in the critical dimensions, within 1mm or so in any dimension.

The worst area on the Denix, as mentioned is the Grip and that can be altered. Also the height. The Denix upper receiver sits too high and slightly to the rear on the frame. I will show more of my mod and how I adjusted it.

Rest assured that these parts are scaled for a REAL C96 and also fit the replicas! See my pics. C96 sized parts on my Denix.

In all the areas where fitting is concerned, there is very little difference. The issue is that even on the Steel Real C96 versions, there is variation so some adjustment is required.

We sized these parts based on the HERO and it works out that the scale is close enough for all the models of Replicas out there.

For perfection, Carson did model the C96 and we could make very nice custom replicas in Aluminum that would match the HERO exactly if there was enough interest. If we get enough people who want them they can be made at the cost of an auctioned MGC we est.

We modeled the parts for an easy fit and they will look great if you just attach and glue them as is... but we also made them so they can be adjusted and perfected as each modeler desires.

The areas that could be adjusted on these parts are the Barrel Chamfers. IF you desire and the chamfers do not line up perfectly with you frame, you can file them to fit and match the angles of the receiver OR add material to the receiver on the Denix and MGC. Both of these have a different angles than the real C96 and there is variation in real C96 frames as well. We felt it best to have "slightly " more material" there so it can be reduced to match the frames better.

The MGC and Denix are Zink and you CAN add low temp soldier to those areas to build it up. If you are painting anyway you can just glue up some shims.

The other area is the Mag Well slot in the Grill. We left it slightly undersized so it can be sanded for a perfect fit with no slop.

That's it. No other fitting is required other than drilling and tapping (or glueing) the threaded rod to attach the crossbar.

As for the finish, one issue is that IF you do trim or adjust the chamfers etc, How do you refinish?

For me, I intend to give the entire gun a Gun Blue tinted lacquer spray with an air brush. If you do not have the ability to do it yourself you can have it done I'm sure. An easy alternative is to use a semigloss black and you're as good as an MR.

If you are modding a replica, the FLAT BLACK of the gun needs to be matched, no problem. You can repaint the entire thing also with a better paint job!

If you are modding a Steel C96, you are going to Hot or Cold blue the barrel to match the frame, (and reblue the cut off end of the barrel anyway.) and you will also blue the Mount to match.

There are many very good and inexpensive, easy to use COLD blueing that can be used to match the color of your Mauser.

Our Anodized Blue/Black and Black Ox Steel is just a base color and protection. Can be left alone OR refinished as desired.

The Aluminum FH will get a Pewter type color matching the promo pics as best we can. The Steel FH will be Black ox for protection from rust

By rubbing with steel wool it can be lessened and made to look more like the promo or painted.

I am sure there will be a lot of discussion and tutorials showing how everyone is doing their mods.

cont:

Carson can chime in to add if needed.

The 3d models that Carson made are based on measurements off a REAL C96, the same model as the HERO. He also compared that to his MGC version and My Denix version for dimensional differences.

In the areas that really matter for these parts, the dimensions are very close for fitting issues and variations between the Real C96, MGC and Denix. We showed a comparison of the Mausers in the thread with dimensions.

The parts we are making : Scope, Mount, Flash Hider, Grill, Track and Antenna are all sized and scaled for the HERO/REAL (Steel) C96.

By the way, Only ONE version of the Antenna will be offered. The RINGED version, even though it is only shown on the MerrSonn in any detail and seems the ones on the Speeder had no rings and may be ribs, this is the best image we have and best know/expected version. This version can be easily modified to FILL the rings or paint over, if the builder desires. Solves the issue.

These parts will fit the scale of the MGC and Denix within a few thousandths of an inch for a great appearance. If anything, the Replica Mauser should be altered, not the parts.

The only areas that need to be "fitted" to any version of the gun are the Barrel and Grill.

Barrel:
We are offering 2 versions of the Barrel to suit the builders.
1) Fitted version, which requires cutting off the Mauser barrel and fitting the Bull Barrel to the receiver in the correct spot by means of shaping a post OR using the supplied DOWEL to align the barrel on the receiver. This can be easily glued OR if desired, can be tapped and screwed to the receiver.

2) Easy Fit SLEEVE version, that can slip over the tapered barrel of any Mauser to attach easily. This version is easier to install and requires less fitting. This version also will fit a REAL LIVE FIRE c96 so the real barrel does not need to be altered at the receiver end but barrel will need to be cut down to fit inside the FH.

This version is easier to install but is slightly oversized so the existing barrel can fit inside. The Bull Barrel bore is CNC milled to the same scooped taper of the Mausers barrel so it can slid over like a Sleeve... (duh). (some fitting may be required)

Grill:
Offered in both Aluminum (like a real heat sink) and
Black Plastic, to match the REAL HERO PROP.

The One piece GRILL is designed and made to look like the HERO Grill (which was originally made by using 3 separate pieces of the ComLink/MerrSonn cylinder.) It has tapered fins and tube and is as close to the original as you can get in an easy to install ONE PIECE part. This is a very tough part to make this way (Thank goodness for CNC)

We are also offering the COMLINK/MerrSonn cylinder part, which can be used to make a screen accurate GRILL by cutting up and gluing 3 wide ends of the ribbed cylinder together, kind of sloppy and out of alignment on the frame, just like the REAL PROP.

The only area that needs to be fit on the Grill is the Mag Well slot. We left that at the smallest width of the 3 Mausers so there will be room to file of sand away a small amount of material in an area that does not show, to perfectly fit to your Mauser frame.

This area is still close to the real C96 so very little fitting will be required but we thought this way would be preferable to leaving a large gap to fill on each fin!

It is our understanding that there are more Denix replicas out there than ether MGCs or Real C96s. And is the only readily available replica. Even though it is not perfect. Which is why we were exploring making a very accurate CNCd c96 if there was enough interest. So far not many interested.

All Steel parts for everyone would be over kill and cost more for everyone when they don't need or want it. We thought it more fair to offer the Steel option "at cost" like everything else here, which is direct from the shop, so people who want it can get it. Only the cost for material and extra machine time are added.

The other area that could be adjusted on these parts are the Barrel Chamfers. IF you desire and the chamfers do not line up perfectly with you frame, you can file them to fit and match the angles of the receiver OR add material to the receiver on the Denix and MGC. Both of these have a different angles than the real C96 and there is variation in real C96 frames as well. We felt it best to have "slightly " more material" there so it can be reduced to match the frames better.

The MGC and Denix are Zink and you CAN add low temp soldier to those areas to build it up. If you are painting anyway you can just glue up some shims.

As for finishing, our thought was this: The actual HERO PROP was either "painted over" the "blued" gun parts to even up the colors or just the areas that needed paint like the Crossbar and FH maybe.

One issue is that IF you do trim or adjust the chamfers etc, How do you refinish?

For me, I intend to give the entire gun a Gun Blue tinted lacquer spray with an air brush. If you do not have the ability to do it yourself you can have it done I'm sure. An easy alternative is to use a semi-gloss black and you're as good as an MR.

If you are modding a replica, only the FLAT BLACK of the gun needs to be matched, no problem OR you can repaint the entire thing also with a better paint job!

If you are modding a Steel C96, you are going to Hot or Cold blue the barrel to match your frame, (and re-blue the cut off end of the barrel anyway.) and you will also blue the Mount to match. There are so many different steels and bluing that for us to try to match any is futile.

There are many very good and inexpensive, easy to use COLD blueing that can be used to match the color of your Mauser. $6 bucks from Brownells.

Our Anodized Blue/Black and Black Ox Steel is just a base color and protection. It can be left alone OR refinished as desired.

The Aluminum FH will get a Pewter type color matching the promo pics as best we can. The Steel FH will be Black ox for protection from rust. By rubbing with steel wool it can be lessened and made to look more like the promo or painted/blued etc. This will give those lucky enough to own REAL C96 frames the best finishes possible.

I am sure there will be a lot of discussion and tutorials showing how everyone is doing their mods.

We are considering offering the Plastic Antennas/Track in the Kits rather than the Aluminum. 1) They will be more accurate to the HERO Prop, 2) Easier to trim to size and shape for most people. The Aluminum will be an option to buy separate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, we have upped the ante a bit with these parts.

We can now offer a replica HW 3x scope with a STEEL body and full 5 part brass knob and base and end caps and lens rings with Glass lenses and accurate reticle with knob number engraving and side name engraving!

Still at a great price.

Deadbolt will be posting the thread shortly. We are trying to be clear with all the variations available.

Should be ready to run in the next few weeks!

so scope looks like it will run, so that just leaves the C96 replica as far as a complete setup goes right?
For myself a lot is hinging on whether or not you guys offer the C96.

the C96 3d models that Deadbolt made are replicas of the HERO Mauser so that is ready. In order to go forward with the C96 the shop would need enough orders. So far only a few members expressed interest.

You can still use a Denix and get a great result.

The pre-modified C96 replica parts would definitely be great additions to add the DL-44 parts to, but like Pat said the amount of orders really affects whether or not they get made at a price that's affordable enough to justify offering them. And of course they will also have to be made so that they're legally safe too. But no worries, we're trying for them! :)

Right now we're pretty much offering replicas of the rarest and the unknown parts of the prop. These parts are also usable on real Mausers, MGCs, and the Denix replicas like Pat said. It might take a little work, but these DL-44 parts can look pretty nice on those as well. :thumbsup

-Carson

I think a lot of folks are sitting back and waiting to see pricing before chiming in. Even if it's only an interest thread, I think people don't want to look like they're committing to something that they may not be able to afford when pricing is announced. I have a guess where I think these pieces will fall, but I could be WAY off.

I'd expect more interest once you start posting prices.

So, what will the steel scope cost? Ballpark figure.

And nobody chime in with, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." Everyone has a budget for their prop building. Even a grail prop has an upper limit that has to be balanced with other bills. So, envisioning this kit as being $250 is one thing. If it's $500, that's something else.

I think the sooner you can give folks an idea of the price range, the sooner you can gauge real commitment to the run.

I'm expecting around $400. I believe that's what the 1st post of the interest thread stated. I"m trying to decide whether I really want steel, or if I should just go with aluminum.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back