ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Barrel Discussion

Has anyone ever had any contact with the prop house or any prop guys from ANH?

Only problem is that if it was a found piece, they may not know what it was anyway. I have built props for low budget sci fi films and just "found" cool looking items and shapes and stuck them on. I once built an electron microscope from a night of dumpster diving. Junk, glue and paint.

Last edited:

I'm of a mind that the hero blaster is the complete Naked Runner Mauser. The holes are there for the front and rear mounting points (I think) and the edge or lip that you see around the "disc" next to the heat sink could just as easily be caused by paint as it could by machining.

Except there's still only one hole, not two so it can't be from the mount.
You think they switched it back from the clean Mauser in the earlier photos?

Why machine that space? There's nothing there--anymore. From what I recall it was determined that they had glued an Imperial greeblie (one of the discs the officer's wear on their hats and belts) in that spot..

It could easily be a thick paint edge. The paint may have built up around the disc. The Imperial disc is one possibility. There are several disc shaped metal greeblies used in ANH that could also be possible. The Imp disc is considered a little more likely because the Merr Sonn blasters have them in that spot.

At least one casting was made of the blaster at this point to make copies, generally for the Imperials, which also exhibit the t-track and antenna tips on top of the barrel. The greeblie fell off leaving the disc shape in the paint and exposing the metal underneath. The hole in the middle would be consistent with the mounting point of the scope in Naked Runner imo.

This timeline is a little off. The Mauser cast was the original Naked Runner mauser, but without any side greeblies. The Merr Sonn blasters have two discs on the side from the Naked Runner scope mount. They're rough cut and the cut lines are in different directions on the two known Merr Sonn blasters so I think it's likely the original tall mounting points were cast and then cut off. An Imperial disc (real aluminum, not resin) is glued over the frontmost mount point.

in some shots the hole doesn't look like a hole either.

It most likely isn't. It's probably paint too. The greeblie had a center hole.

While I think the pics of the Hero suggest a flat bottom, the castings from that upper make it almost certain.

Underside of a Merr Sonn...
ms_underbarrel.jpg

No doubt that's flat. It also appears to taper which I hadn't really considered until this thread.

An ESB stunt blaster...
esbstunt_underbarrel.jpg

Flat, but also obviously cleaned up/filed so the flat spot is much wider than the original. I believe these ESB stunt blasters were cast from the ANH Hero after production (ANH parts stripped off). They have the same upper as the Merr Sonn castings, but the lower is different.

The pulley greeblie is the right size and position for the disk.

The thread dia. on the Naked runner gun is much bigger than the little hole in the disk if it is a hole.

Also...
Note the barrel end cut off profile in these shots.

anyone has better images?

merrsonnbarrels.jpg

Anyone have a better image of this left shot

blasterleftb.jpg

Last edited:

good point about the hole. If the glued on pulley was painted after there could be spray through.

Those are great images too!

While I think the pics of the Hero suggest a flat bottom, the castings from that upper make it almost certain.

ms_underbarrel.jpg

No doubt that's flat. It also appears to taper which I hadn't really considered until this thread.

An ESB stunt blaster...
esbstunt_underbarrel.jpg

Flat, but also obviously cleaned up/filed so the flat spot is much wider than the original. I believe these ESB stunt blasters were cast from the ANH Hero after production (ANH parts stripped off). They have the same upper as the Merr Sonn castings, but the lower is different.

Note the barrel end cut off profile in these shots.

The barrel isn't cut off it's broken. Both guns originally had the flash hider.
It was part of the casting.

That left side pic of the blaster is from SW Chronicles. It could be scanned higher quality, but I don't think a better original copy of the photo has surfaced.

Ah Hah! That's what we needed to see! :D Thanks lonepigeon!

And with the taper that kpax was talking about as well, very nice work everybody! (y)thumbsup

-Carson

ms_underbarrel.jpg

An ESB stunt blaster...
esbstunt_underbarrel.jpg

Again, maybe they glued on the pulley greeblie on the HERO and either it came off early, or they took it off because it wouldn't holster properly or kept coming off in the holster.

In the pre production stills (very small images) of H. Ford playing in a field with the prop you can see the disk.

pretty evident now....i think

still have the dvd coming but don't think we need it... it will be the final proof

The evidence we have now is pretty conclusive, but I still really would like to see it visibly on the real deal Mauser. Hopefully that Naked Runner DVD will fix that.

As for the side disk, the greeblie with a center hole sounds very plausible to me. Considering the blaster definitely looks as though it had been painted.

But then again, this Blaster HAS fooled me before. :rolleyes

-Carson

Last edited:
Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

The disk on the Merr Sonn Blaster has a little square notch in it, which would show in the paint when removed. So I don't think it's exactly like that one, but seems very likely to be a similar piece. Like the barrel greeblie, it looks very similar, but not quite the same.

But, that's probably what they were going for. ;)

Edit: I changed the Title of this thread to ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion to free up the discussion a bit. :thumbsup

-Carson

Again, maybe they glued on the pulley greeblie on the HERO and either it came off early, or they took it off because it wouldn't holster properly or kept coming off in the holster.

In the pre production stills (very small images) of H. Ford playing in a field with the prop you can see the disk.

No, it's missing in those photos too.

Sorry, I meant you can see the "disk"... not the pulley greeblie

blastercu.jpg

I just flattened my barrel with the taper and lowered it. It looks fine. At the same angles as the pics it looks correct. Don't notice the flat except from bottom view , as it should be.

I will post pics shortly.

Also one measurement off from real mauser. The dimension across the top of the receiver above the bevels , my denix is about .400+- not the .2975 Dcarty measured. Considerable. Always wondered why it look a bit different there. Easy fix.

That's some serious detective work you guys have done! I wonder how long until eFX bring out the 'Ultimate Edition' and steal the thunder from you!?

I guess I need to go and add the flat bototm to my ESB stunt replica now too!

Ah Hah! That's what we needed to see! :D Thanks lonepigeon!

And with the taper that kpax was talking about as well, very nice work everybody! (y)thumbsup

-Carson

About the cylinders. I had a look through my old emails and found one I received from the Williams guy in 2008. I had forgotten he contacted me then out of the blue even though I hadn't spoken to him since 2005.

He told me that he had managed to buy back the missing Williams molds (Williams had sold them to another company which also went out of business and had been bought up by yet another company) but the molds for that style of cylinder only went up to 1" scale (7/8" in length) which is about half the size of the ANH part.

Sorry, I completely forgot about this when I made my last post about the cylinders.

Here are some prelim shots of my model with the tapered flat barrel.

Only put in place and not finished yet.

I also narrowed the top of the receiver bevel to Dcarty's specs.

Let me know what you think

img8668t.jpg

img8666l.jpg

img8665.jpg

img8664ct.jpg

img8654j.jpg

img8652z.jpg

img8650q.jpg

img8646b.jpg

img8644y.jpg

img8645t.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back