ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

I am open to anything, and only want the correct, true way it is, not how I want it to be which is why I am confused about why the MerrSonn appears to have the track base cut off. If there are any top views of the MerrSonns it would clear up the question fast.

Maybe it is an optical illusion but from that real clear CU of the MerrSonn and the other side views, there is no base edge showing.

So if in fact there is no base showing on any pics of the MS and they removed/ trimmed the base from the MerrSonns, why wouldn't they trim it from the HERO and maintain the consistency of design? That's my confusion and logic.

Here are images of the best side views and top image we have.

They are all lined up so we can compare the highlights and landmarks. I included the promo shot here as well.

I think this really helps visualize the debris field left by the broken front sight.

You can now compare where the scalloped edges are and the broken antenna rod.

It seems that in the top two shots, the pics were taken at the same time and the rod is broken off at the head and the rough area on the side view is glue and residue, not just a bad exacto cut out for the Chronicles book like we thought. All the peeks and valleys line up I think.

topsidelineallcopy.jpg

Last edited:

OK, so I made these next drawings as carefully and close to matching as possible using hundreds of man hours and costing thousands of lives...

fulltrackviewscopy.jpg

halftrackviewscopy.jpg

sideviewscopy.jpg

sideviewcompare2copy.jpg

That's the best I can do. It is close although the antenna sits noticeably higher on the track even though it is rotated to the right, you can see more daylight under the rod. I suppose it could look either way but I lean toward the cut base and on barrel theory...

Cast your vote:

Last edited:

I don´t have made a definite decision about what i think on this problem, yet - but if you put 2 antennas and a cast/plastic piece (full MerrSonn length) of t-track in the set, everyone can make it according his own thoughts and perceptions.

take a look at this comparison again.

Study the highlight points, landmarks, edges etc.

Some allowance must be taken for misalignment and scale and angles of the pics but it is interesting where the points line up...

glueresidueagaincopy.jpg

the overall shape of the outlines are the same. peaks and valleys etc.

Last edited:

this makes some sense to me...

glueundertrackcopy.jpg

Seems reasonable that the straight line we see is the glue residue left from the hollow under the T Track.

The other residue is epoxy following the contour of the antenna like grout beveled at an angle against the antenna body

If it is glue, that line follows dead center of the receiver and means the track was put on straight I think.

Last edited:

this shows the outline on the model. the FH is on straight here so part of the head and "glue" is hidden by the angle.

antennaoutline2.jpg

last one... seems very the same to me now.

glueresiduelast.jpg

That extra little highlight is because a little material broke away and left a new jagged edge... hence, new highlight.

...hence.

Last edited:

ok... this is the last one.

I "glued" up my model like I think they did the HERO.

I glued the center Blade T Track with base trimmed to the center line and glued the Antenna to the right ON the Barrel.

I used clay in the place of epoxy glue. I pressed the clay into the space between the blade and antenna and then wiped away what would come out of the space. It is small and tight and may have pulled "stringy ribbins of glue out of the space) Maybe this also explains why there seems to be grooves on the MerrSonn antenna and not on the Speeder like Deadbolt thought.:thumbsup

When I pryed up the track off the barrel, the clay/glue under the track stayed on the barrel.

On the left side (vertical) there is a sequence from with the antenna and track to missing track then broken off Rod.

I think this seals the sights fate.

How think you?

claygluecompcopy.jpg

Note the pattern of the clay in the different views.

I left it messy and there are some marker lines to orient the blade.

moreantennaglueproofcop.jpg

Last edited:

Sherlock Solo?

Waiting for experts to chime in. I'm pretty convinced, but my history with this prop can be numbered only in days, not years.:confused

I'll chalk you up for a yes... but I won't hold you to it

...just discovered something else,

While playing around with the model it became a problem to keep the antenna(s) and blade on because every time I tried to adjust the FH to the correct position for the photos, I kept knocking the sight off, which is why in some of my pics there is a gap between the FH and sight.

That wobblie FH... Maybe when it tilted up like that, either by dropping it, or firing it..., it knocked the blade and LEFT antenna off.

thoughts??

Very interesting...So many possibilities for it's setup for sure. There's gotta be a photo in existence somewhere that can prove what this thing really looks like!

Although crooked matches well, something else seems to be going on there with either setup. So unfortunately it's still very tough to tell 100% one way or the other with the available references.

Such an incredible mystery this greeblie is! Anyone know who all worked on the ANH props? It's seems very strange to think that none of those guys have ever stumbled across a replica prop site or forum.

Maybe the original photographer for the blue background photo-shoot would be a possible source for new reference? Anyone also know who that was?

-Carson

I'll chalk you up for a yes... but I won't hold you to it

No, trust me, your evidence is pretty conclusive. I too wish those HQ original photos would materialize and settle it once and for all. It's kind of like about 10-15 years ago when I was researching the TOS Enterprise. The available, quality data was so limited. Now, it's readily available. I spent months building a 3D model of the ship that was great for 1998, but pretty lacking by today's references.

There's only a couple things still deterring me from thinking the t-track is centered...if it's even there at all of course.

If it's centered it has to be cut down quite a bit, almost to the point where we could assume that they would have just used something else easier that's closer to the shape they needed instead of t-track. Also there's still that one 'over the scope' photo below showing that there's nothing in the center of the barrel reaching the height of the FH. That also seems to be the case on-sceen as well. I just noticed that in the left SW cap below there too looks to be nothing tall centered on the barrel. But in the cap on the right there definitely looks to be something there somehow reaching that height.

So if it's t-track it almost has to be crooked to work. Or like Pat's research has shown, it could even be just an antenna and glue on there with no track. But still tough to tell for sure whats really going on there.

g6Ou7asE.png

HY4GXjvB.png

Also, here's the C96 Barrel model with a tilted Flash Hider (old revision), crooked track and an antenna that I posted a ways back.

V1TJZg06.png

-Carson

Last edited:

I'd like to see your enterprise model jheilman and thanks for the vote of confidence.

I agree with Carson too that in the images of Ford holding the Blaster, you cant see any evidence of the track or Left antenna from any of the angled shots. Stinking Nurff Hurder.

Like Carson said, in that one CU promo shot you should be able to see the top of the Track against the FH... if it was there. Either it's turned to the left a lot or not there at all.

Even in this shot I can't make out anything.

Maybe someone with better skills can see something.

I think there is a conspiracy to make sure we only see bad angles and dark images.

Anyone have the cover? Know the photographer?

soloblastertopcopy.jpg

some better pics of my model test.

I modified the antenna head which was made too long on the solid and did not follow the 3D from Carson. This is closer.

The exposed barrel length is also off a bit in the pics.

antennaglueedgecopy.jpg

Matches pretty darn close I think...

Some of my model pics are taken in Macro so the image is distorted a bit, but I wanted you to see the detail.
glueresiduerevised.jpg

This is only clay that I wiped from the gap and I am sure that epoxy would sag a bit and follow the contures of the antenna and track edge closer but you can see my point.

If you look also at the "blue-ish" image, you can just make out the "rings" on the antenna head (right where the two red lines are) which seem more and more like Carson said, just glue rivulets.

Anyone ever get over to see the SW tour and get any pics of the Speeder cockpit?

Last edited:

Wow, my hat is off to you kpax that is some outstanding research and a great read!

So far I have had no intention of putting the t-track sight on my blaster at all. I am of the opinion that by the time those photos of Harrison Ford were taken, and production started, it had all fallen off and they were left off like the circle greeblie on the side because they wouldn't stay on.

However, you've done so much work on it I kind of feel guilty wanting to leave it off!!

I'd like to see your enterprise model jheilman and thanks for the vote of confidence.

OK, don't want to distract from the blaster with inline pix from another franchise. So, here are a few links. Please keep in mind this was 1998-2000. The last pic I used my model and tried to replicate a screen cap with the color scheme and grain of the original show.

http://www.metropolisgrafix.com/postings/Enterprise01.jpg

http://www.metropolisgrafix.com/postings/Enterprise02.jpg

http://www.metropolisgrafix.com/postings/Enterprise03.jpg

http://www.metropolisgrafix.com/postings/Enterprise04.jpg

http://www.metropolisgrafix.com/postings/LightsOfZetar.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back