ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

If we can't locate an accurately knurled part for the windage knob, maybe someone with an original would be willing to mold one and we could have it Cast in Brass? I think cast would be acceptable and hopefully shrinking and cost wouldn't be an issue.

Does anybody know where to find something of the same diameter with the correct rounded knurling, or if there are any knurling tools that can re-create that round knurling like on the Scope's windage knob?

P.S. I will be back home today, so I can continue working on the Models starting tonight. :thumbsup

-Carson

i've been looking, can't find anything close to that ball knurling, although it looks more hex shaped... but can't find that either.

can't wait to see the next part from Deadbolt!

scope knob knurl looks like this
scopeknobknurl.jpg

what do you guys think the knurls on the mount cross bar and thumbscrew look like? Straight, diamond?

Hex or round like the scope knob?

Last edited:

Not sure, but from this still I thought I saw straight?

Han_ANH_02.jpg

What do you all think? (Please ignore the circled question marked area back there.) :$

Hey all.. I hope you don't mind me butting in on the discussion, although it's ANH DL44 related so I think I might get away with it.....

I'm on a massively restrictive budget, so, no deactivated mausers or Denixes for me I'm afraid. With my meagre budget I've had to go down the resin kit route. Now, I'm a total novice when it comes to finishing and painting these things, so could anyone point me in the direction of a kind of 'idiots guide'?

You know, a sort of, 'Resin DL44 for Dummies'?

I agree, I think I can make out Diamond knurling from that photo also.

Looks like the center knob Kpax found for his Mount is a very close match! :thumbsup :love

-Carson

Hey all.. I hope you don't mind me butting in on the discussion, although it's ANH DL44 related so I think I might get away with it.....

I'm on a massively restrictive budget, so, no deactivated mausers or Denixes for me I'm afraid. With my meagre budget I've had to go down the resin kit route. Now, I'm a total novice when it comes to finishing and painting these things, so could anyone point me in the direction of a kind of 'idiots guide'?

You know, a sort of, 'Resin DL44 for Dummies'?

Hi Fry,

I don't have any experience with the resin kits but I am sure some people here do. If you search there may be a tutorial somewhere. Maybe someone can direct you.

I have seen them here and on Ebay. Should not be too difficult to finish one to a decent degree. A file and sand paper to clean up flash and parting lines.

A little glue and paint. Semi flat black for the body and a brown for the grips and voila!

If you have ever done a car model kit you should be able to handle it, no prob... just have fun!

try these for some idea of how to:

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/tutorials/pages/solo-esb-blaster/solo-esb-blaster-tutorial.html

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/tutorials/tutorials.php

They could be from camera mount brackets.

Or audio equipment, the types i use are from vintage loudspeakers - they were used to fasten the spikes on the bottom of the speakers.

ANH-ObiWanLightsaber011.jpg

ANH-ObiWanLightsaber010.jpg

Btw. i made some pics of the knobs from my Hensoldt scopes. As usual at these times they used various designs, i never found 2 Hensoldts that exactly matched each other.

pyramid shaped

ANH-ObiWanLightsaber007.jpg

round, with a hex-base

ANH-ObiWanLightsaber008.jpg

ANH-ObiWanLightsaber009.jpg

Thanks Michael! Do we know which version of the Scope was used Originally? The hex knurling just looks way cool compared to regular knurling.

Also, thanks for the thumb screw tips guys!

-Carson

The second one with the "hex-knurling" looks about right, but the windage knob has to feature the stamped/ painted numbers 1-10 to be accurate. The main tube should be imprinted:

Hensoldt-Wetzlar
Ziel Dialyth 3x

Markus

Great pics Michael. Thanks.

The HERO scope knob is with the hex I think.

The thumb nuts you used have a great knurl but I know you altered them a bunch from what I saw in your build posting.

The crossbar nuts also have a step like a check nut like this:

cnd.gif

You can see this in the top view

mounthardwarenuts.jpg

The size and shape is correct I think but the knurling could be better. Maybe they can be altered if we got a bunch of them and Re-Knurled them.

It would be great to find something pre made and close enough to accept as is.

The center Hollow Knurled screw is tougher. I had to cut the center out to match the HERO. Could not find anything close in size and thickness that had a hollow center.

another scavenger hunt may be in order.

The thumb nuts you used have a great knurl but I know you altered them a bunch from what I saw in your build posting.

The center Hollow Knurled screw is tougher. I had to cut the center out to match the HERO. Could not find anything close in size and thickness that had a hollow center.

All i did was making a step at the rear, and to hollow the front of the small disc.

I agree, very nice collection Markus! I guess we know who the real Hensoldt expert is here..;)

And thanks for the great photos Michael, those shots will be very helpful!

I wonder how we can go about replicating that type of knurling without getting into the extra cost of casting. Does anyone have an idea how it could have been made originally? I've never seen anything that cuts knurls quite like that.

-Carson

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back