ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

Just another step in the -possible- right direction...

pt676.jpg

Oase-Universal-Schlauchverbinder.jpg

Markus

I dont think they are cylinder type model parts. Store bought models are generally very accurate and cylinder fins usually have some sort of cross braces running perpendicular to the fins for support but who knows for sure.

A plumbing or insert like that would not have an offset on its own but if it was three separate pieces the walls could have been assembled that way for some reason, just to look cool or different from a "plumbing part" or even just to be able to have some thin wall tube- inside the tube sections to hold them all together.

Kurty, can you post some pics of the ROTJ Merr-Sonn parts? Any other hi res pics you have would be great too.

It may be possible to have this part made in Aluminum and another version in a Nylon of some sort!

Maybe Lonepigeon will chime in and lend some insight and comments.

Nope, there were readial cylinder halves that looked exactly like this part, just too small. No cross brace. Just a two stepped stem with fins that tapered exactly like this. The similarity was uncanny. Even had the same number of fins as far as I remember.

I dont think they are cylinder type model parts. Store bought models are generally very accurate and cylinder fins usually have some sort of cross braces running perpendicular to the fins for support but who knows for sure.

A plumbing or insert like that would not have an offset on its own but if it was three separate pieces the walls could have been assembled that way for some reason, just to look cool or different from a "plumbing part" or even just to be able to have some thin wall tube- inside the tube sections to hold them all together.

Kurty, can you post some pics of the ROTJ Merr-Sonn parts? Any other hi res pics you have would be great too.

It may be possible to have this part made in Aluminum and another version in a Nylon of some sort!

Maybe Lonepigeon will chime in and lend some insight and comments.

Meh. Post deleted. Odiwan, that looks like you are barking up the right tree.

My crotchety father, who has been a plumber since the 1960's, SWEARS that it is a poly cutoff sprinkler riser. But I have no examples of a 1970's irrigation riser to compare it to.

Nope, there were readial cylinder halves that looked exactly like this part, just too small. No cross brace. Just a two stepped stem with fins that tapered exactly like this. The similarity was uncanny. Even had the same number of fins as far as I remember.

Love to see that.

post some other pics if you can.

getting interesting

You guys see the 3d FH on the first page Carson posted?

Sweet!

Here is a test I did on my Grill adding the tapers.

Just filed off so not very accurate and may be a bit exaggerated but on the right track...I think.

Let me know what you think.

grillmodeltapertest.jpg

Glad you like the Flash Hider Pat, Thanks! Nice work on your Grill as well! :thumbsup

I don't have access to my references for a few days, but I was looking at them yesterday and I know this has been considered already, but could the Grill pieces be metal? I noticed that some of the dings and scratches on the various Grill pieces through out SW look like there's metal showing through. They look plastic on some props, but they could have been cast copies of the metal ones.

Also, was it Bapty who added the Grill and Sight Greeblie, or was it the SW prop guys? If it was Bapty, then it seems possible to be Firearm parts. Maybe that's a good place to look also?

I was thinking maybe the Grill could be some sort of lightweight metal heat sink with cooling fins, that's either part of a barrel or maybe a sleeve that slides over a barrel. Or even some kind of small booster with cooling fins for that matter.

What does everyone else think, don't they look metal on some props?

-Carson

i know what you mean. Ive seen some compensators like the Cuts, that have a look like that but in the shot below you can see the edge of the grill fins bent over like it was forced on. still could be thin metal but seems more like plastic.

anhgrillplasticbent.jpg

i know there are a lot of folks here that know a lot more than i do about the history and provenance of such things. would love to here from them.

i know my fins are not the correct shape. they need to be a little wider and not so square, more bull nose and the spacing better but the overall shape looks correct... waiting to replace it with a new perfected one...

i even note that from the taper, the side shots now line up with the hero, accounting for the slightly off parallel edge lines seen in the hero, .... makes sense now.

Last edited:

Here's what I think the Grill looks like, of course evened up and cleaned up but the scale and shape is very close.

The fins need to have a bull nose too!

Can't wait to see what Deadbolt does with it!

grillnewlayoutbwcopy.jpg

Been checking every antique shop I could find on my way to and around this part of NY, and still no luck...yet. Things are hard to find when you don't know what your looking for. :lol

Once I'm back in my home state, I will be back to full time research and work on the Models. :thumbsup Even though we're still trying to identify the Grill piece, I'm positive we can get the DL-44's Grill very close either way. I think we have a pretty good idea of how it should look now. ;)

So what does everyone think of the Flash Hider Model? Any constructive criticism, or is everyone happy with it's current state? Let us know what you think, and then it'll be off to the next part! :D

-Carson

Thanks guys! That is very kind of you all to say.. :$

The Scope Mount model is being rebuilt and it is well on it's way to completion. But it is going to take allot of checking, tweaking and re-checking to make sure it is as accurate as possible before it's deemed finished. It is possibly the most speculative piece of the whole blaster, next to the Sight Greeblie. So with that considered, the Booster/Barrel and Grill will most likely be finished next. :thumbsup

Also, thanks for the Grill layout, Pat!

-Carson

Last edited:

ok, while there is a lull in the action, Lets talk nuts...and bolts. In attempt to keep things moving here, I will post these pics of my hardware to get some idea of what everyone is thinking and may have available to them.

The two crossbar nuts are 1/4-20 thread and .750 dia with a step as the original has. The knurl is ok but may not be as authentic as can be but was available.

The center knurled screw was a flat top 11/16 or 17+mm thumbscrew that I cored out to make a hollow thumbscrew as the original. turned out ok I think but would love to find a complete version and more authentic if possible.

The scope knob is a 22mm thumbscrew that I cut and fitted to the base that I turned and milled.

I don't know if we want to get into making nuts and bolts... unless we have a volunteer? But if it is important to all, we can find out the cost, but that ball knurl on the scope would be a toughie!

The other knurls can not bee seen, unless someone has a good pic.

Please comment and post other ideas and hardware we may want to consider.

nutsandbolts.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back