ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Sounds like a plan, are you going for 100% accuracy on yours, like mine too?

(Here's a video that I found a while back):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvUvwqKf0o

Careful with those real lasers kōhai, they can really be dangerous, especially if you're waving it around a mirror, or somebody else's face. (Trust me, I've messed around with powerful lasers before, and with somewhat scary experiences.) ...God, now I'm sounding like my mother. :lol

Sounds like a plan, are you going for 100% accuracy on yours, like mine too?

(Here's a video that I found a while back):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvUvwqKf0o

Careful with those real lasers kōhai, they can really be dangerous, especially if you're waving it around a mirror, or somebody else's face. (Trust me, I've messed around with powerful lasers before, and with somewhat scary experiences.) ...God, now I'm sounding like my mother. :lol

That's exactly part of the inspiration:thumbsup, the other part is on Scott's Youtube page!!:cool

LOLLLL:lol:lol:lol

Thanks mommy!!!:devil:lol:angel:devil

Regards,

Alberto

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

I'll get to PM's in a bit once I get through emails... hopefully before my kid wakes up and I need to jet to bed (gotta shoot tomorrow: photography... not guns).

I've been updating my Live fire to be MORE accurate... but nothing as hardcore and crazy as Vanitas in reshaping metal. ^_^ Luckily the real Mauser doesn't need it. ^_^ Just some tomtit parts that make a crazy amount of difference.

Pics someday...

The Laser guy is a member here. I'm not sure I have it in me to get that done... I'll have to wrap my head around it. ;)

The MGCs... at least mine that I've cut the barrels, have a hardened rod down the center of the barrel. If yours too is like that, I don't see any way to easily drill through that sucker like a Denix. I know even with my good sized mill, I can't fit the upper, a chuck, MT3 taper collet/arbor, and a long bit in to use the mill... forget it on my little drill press. Similarly no dice on the lathe... too scary chucking that up.

The filing part will be easy (If not somewhat nerve-wracking), but for the ejection port scallops, I'll probably fill in the square holes with some type of solder before sanding the scallops to the proper dimensions. The correct round holes I probably won't be able to do myself, so that'll be put off until later. First, I need to find a good way to finish sanding down my entire MGC. I've already sanded my upper receiver, but short of using a dremel to get in every little crease, I'm stuck on the little detail parts. Then I'll tackle the lower receiver.

Does anybody know of a good solder that will stick to the MGC metal?

Sorry for the double post, but here's a status update: Scott has bowed out, recommending that it would be more efficient to simply buy a real Mauser than to go through all the trouble of recontouring the entire MGC to accurate proportions. To me, that's sadly impossible, as I don't meet the requirements of owning a real Mauser (too young), and it would be out of my price league. Besides, it's a totally me-thing to pursuit these avenues that seem completely ridiculous and end up with total success. ^_^ I have since PMed Kpax (Pat), but have yet to hear back from him. I have sanded the upper receiver to hell and back in order to remove the original finish and the casting pitting. I've yet to touch the lower receiver. I have slightly adjusted the contours of the ejection port scallops, not enough to match the real Mauser, but closer than the original MGC gestalt. It's slow work, but I don't want to make any mistakes, so I'm fine with that. I have tomorrow off work, so I'll sand the lower receiver down, reduce the mag well hump, reshape the trigger guard blending, etc. Pics to come!

(Still searching for zinc-happy solder.)

Last edited:
If I wanted effects, I would prioritize a muzzle flash effect over a laser effect. Maybe have both, but a laser beam would not be visible unless you are running a smoke machine.

BTW, I would post updates about my own build in its own thread, and just post a link here. This thread is quite long as it is.

Some quick pics about my current MGC progress:

20140519_132113.jpg20140519_132210.jpg

Progress list:

-Reshaped the trigger
-Moderately reshaped the hammer
-Sanded down the body of the MGC Mauser
-Increased the size of the sight pin's conical bevel
-Reduced the size of the mag well "hump"

Things that still need to be done:

-Finish sanding the main body of the MGC Mauser (There are still a few spots of pitting that need to be sanded out)
-Recontour the trigger guard blending to the main body of the receiver
-Sand down the grip frame to accept real Mauser grips
-Fill in the square ejection port holes with solder, sand down the ejection port scallops to accurate dimensions, and re-drill the correct round ejection port holes in the correct position

I'm no photographer, so sorry for the picture quality. I still have a LOT of work to do, but so far, I'm making good progress. Tell me what you think!

Really? Checking on his website, under model airplane parts, the section is blank, and just states "coming soon". I must have missed something somewhere about this, or else I'd have bought a few. :facepalm

HEY, HEY EVERYBODY, CHECK IT OUT:
20140602_182555.jpg
WHOSE THE BOSS NOW?!! :devil

XD

Sorry, I was so excited that I couldn't resist. I feel much better now though! :lol / :devil

Last edited:
So that guy is making parts now?

I contacted Malcolm before buying my new parts, and he only had 4 sets of parts at the time. I bought three of them. He explained that he is indeed still making them, but he can only do so in small numbers, and he told me that he is terrified that if he puts it on his website, that he'll be swamped with orders, like when the parts were first ID'd. Mr. Reade is still using his 60 year old plastic hand injection molding machine, so production time is slow on all of the parts. In my opinion, if you really want a set of parts from him, then contact him beforehand, and let him know exactly how many you want, as they are made upon order, not already supplied. So PLEASE, don't bombard him with dozens of orders all at once. He asked me what I though would be an effective way of supplying everyone here who wanted parts, and I recommended him to have a run of them, to first have an interest list as to gauge how many parts will need to be made before he has to do so. I'm not exactly sure that Mr. Reade would want me to put this all up here, but I just want the best for everyone, including him. So please, privately contact him before you all order your parts. I hope that this works out well for everybody! :angel

Yeah same here. I contacted him via email a couple months ago and depleted some if his stock.

Be warned: they cut very easily so be careful and ready to use hand tools. Machines wil destroy those parts

I contacted Malcolm before buying my new parts, and he only had 4 sets of parts at the time. I bought three of them. He explained that he is indeed still making them, but he can only do so in small numbers, and he told me that he is terrified that if he puts it on his website, that he'll be swamped with orders, like when the parts were first ID'd. Mr. Reade is still using his 60 year old plastic hand injection molding machine, so production time is slow on all of the parts. In my opinion, if you really want a set of parts from him, then contact him beforehand, and let him know exactly how many you want, as they are made upon order, not already supplied. So PLEASE, don't bombard him with dozens of orders all at once. He asked me what I though would be an effective way of supplying everyone here who wanted parts, and I recommended him to have a run of them, to first have an interest list as to gauge how many parts will need to be made before he has to do so. I'm not exactly sure that Mr. Reade would want me to put this all up here, but I just want the best for everyone, including him. So please, privately contact him before you all order your parts. I hope that this works out well for everybody! :angel

By posting this here at the RPF, you´ll get the same impact as if Malcolm would get the website back up...harm done ;)

But yes, definately contact him in advance and ask about availablity!

Markus

By posting this here at the RPF, you´ll get the same impact as if Malcolm would get the website back up...harm done ;)

But yes, definately contact him in advance and ask about availablity!

Markus

Not necessarily... If I recall correctly, Scottjua first confirmed it here:
He does and did. I got a few sets and just did my anh grill. Will post pics soon
He spilled the beans first, not me. XD (Not my fault, HIS.) :devil

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back