An Amateur MG Gundam

Mike J.

Master Member
Oppa Gundam Style!

Now that we've gotten the obvious pun out of the way, let's move on.

This is a Master Grade Gundam RX-78-2, "One Year War" version, similar to that reviewed by Dalong here: http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m78/m78_i.htm. My colors are different, however.

As I'm not a very serious model builder, this thread won't cover much ground. I'm posting this largely because I'm bored. Also, I'd like to see some more activity in the model forums. How many Gundam modelers we got here, anyway?

The story so far:

I had been reading (I say reading but I mean looking at the pictures) Dalong's site for a while. The RX-78-2 OYW really jumped out at me, though. I loved the design, the intricate mechanical functions, and the generous panel lines. I thought they suggested a great sense of scale, unlike many other Gundams, which have sparse panel lines. I bought one from either Amazon.com or Hobbylink Japan, I can't remember which. The kit is not without it's flaws and difficulties, however, and upon reflection I think the head's a little small, but it was something I liked more than usual and something I'd never tried before.

I have built other model robots, including an MG Ball Gundam, which I adore, and a HGUC or two.

One of the things Dalong does irregularly, and which I like, is panel lines. He'll do the panel lines with a fine-pointed Gundam Marker. I had done that once before, in high school, on a Gasaraki Raiden, and though tedious, I like the results. It can be a subtle way of accentuating details, and it makes the model look less toy-like. I think it's a good way to add 'production value' without going all out and painting the model, which could be exceedingly time consuming for an MG kit. So many parts.

In the attached pics below, you can see where I've done some panel lines and not others. One knee is done, and the other is not. The vents in the 'nose' are done, but the sides of the head are not. I'm using a gray pen for the white panel lines and a brown one for the red panel lines. You can see them both in the shield. I'm not sure how I'll handle the yellow areas, any advice would be appreciated :)

I may spray this whole thing down with Dullcote later, as it still has a plastic-y sheen to it.

Thanks for reading!

-Mike J.

Attachments

• IMG_8009.jpg
    IMG_8009.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8010.jpg
    IMG_8010.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8011.jpg
    IMG_8011.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8013.jpg
    IMG_8013.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 56
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back