Am I The Only One Who Did Not Like Worf In Deep Space Nine ?????

I think you are more of a DS-9 fan then you let on! :D

You leave out the last line of dialogue that puts the scene in perspective:

Q: "Indeed not, you're much easier to provoke"

Yes, Q wants people to play his little games. Sisko DID by hitting him. Exactly what he wanted as evidence in the last line there that Sisko fans always turn off the TV before they hear. :lol

Yet despite this, Q never showed back up on DS9...

The character didn't work in that environment. With the Enterprise (or any star ship for that matter) there's more material to give Q to play with. With a station like DS9 you really limit what Q could be doing so writers will probably stay away from pitching those types of episodes. The chemistry wasn't there either quite frankly.

Thing that made Q and Picard work is that Picard had a true belief in Roddenberry's vision of humanity and, for the most part, held up those ideals. He stood in defiance of Q's assertion that we were barbaric creatures. This created an intellectual challenge between the two characters that was the underlying theme of their arc. Sisko, however, at specific taunts of "come on, isn't this all wonderfully barbaric" and a few light punches drops to that level in a matter of seconds presenting no challenge whatsoever between them other than the superficial.

Now, of course that the choice of the writers and power to them. It just means that Q doesn't work on DS9 and that's why he didn't come back. Not because Sisko punched an invincible being.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are more of a DS-9 fan then you let on! :D

:lol

I've tried to get through the first few seasons many times, this one is really early on. ;)

Oh and also when Odo magically gets transformed back into a changeling from being a Solid for what a few months ?????, maybe a year ???. I mean if that Baby changeling could of just jumped out on Odo and turn him into a changeling, Why the heck could it have not turned someone else into one too ??

oh oh oh

*jumps in seat raising my hand* :lol

I know the answer to this one :D. Just saw it in an episode a few days ago "Things Past".

Due to a space thingy, Odo forms an involuntary telepathic link with Sisko, Dax & Garak & they go into Odo's past memories & relive the time when he make a mistake and as a result 3 Bajorans were executed.

At the end, Bashir tells Odo that he found some residual chemicals in his brain that are only present in changelings, and that's what probable caused the telepathic episode, a sort of great link thing.

Ergo, one can assume that those same chemicals would allow Odo and nobody else, to revert to being a changeling when he absorbed the baby changeling into his body.

Gotta love trek & I adore DS9 for oh so many reasons :D

So, being a DS9 novice I'd have to say that if the scenes at Vic's had visual or audio representation of racism (black waiters but no black guests, people making racist comments) I'm with Sisko. If it's just a club from an era where black people were not yet considered equal in America but has no representation of that then I'd say it's breaking the fourth wall at the expense of realistic character to make a commentary on racism.

Never once did Geordi LaForge make a comment that he didn't belong in Victorian London as Dr. Watson. Why would he? It's make believe in an era that you're hundreds of years separated from.

In fairness to the show, he eventually does go, after his girlfriend made pretty much the exact point that you did: Vics was just a stylized fantasy... not what it was like but what it was meant to be.

It's been a while since I've watched DS9 but was it ever explicitly mentioned why Sisko never went to Vic's? Although I don't remember him ever not going but could it be due to his command style and not wanting to hang around his subordinates? I seem to recall that Picard tended to avoid the regular senior staff poker games for that basic reason, he felt that it was inappropriate for him, as the ship's captain, to fraternize with his subordinates. I believe that Janeway tended to hold similar views as well, at least initially and would avoid Paris' Parisian bar on the holodeck. It's very much a thing in the modern US military, and probably many others as well, while you may want to be friendly with those under your command you want to avoid them becoming your friends because crossing that line could potentially cause issues when you give an unpopular order or affect the outcome of a mission because you're afraid of giving an order that would result in your friend getting hurt or even killed.

Someone mentioned Avery Brooks going crazy; I wouldn't go so far to say he is, but he sure is eccentric. Did ya see him in the Shatner documentary The Captains?

Yeah I watched that a month or so ago. He's definitely... unique. I've found that a lot of actors are really odd off screen. Val Kilmer seems that way when I've seen him interviewed.

I liked DS9 when it was on, though not better than TNG. Not to rehash an argument, but I think if you want a good space station show, Babylon 5 did it better. DS9 always felt like a set and not like a real working station IMO.

Avery just likes being silly and mess with peoples minds, he is out there sometime though.

At a Con in the 90's I was talking with him at our Table in the dealers room and there was a life size standee of Sysko nearby which he proceded to play with like a ventriloquist doll.

When he got up to onstage and was answering questions somebody asked him what had being on star trek done for him, and without missing a beat said I can play with myself in public and not get arrested! Flmao! :lol

Someone mentioned Avery Brooks going crazy; I wouldn't go so far to say he is, but he sure is eccentric. Did ya see him in the Shatner documentary The Captains?

Avery just likes being silly...

When he got up to onstage and was answering questions somebody asked him what had being on star trek done for him, and without missing a beat said I can play with myself in public and not get arrested! Flmao! :lol

Why is that in the least bit funny? It shows a lack of respect not only for fans but also for himself.

In your opinion maybe, everybody there laughed at it and the few who didn't DID after they were clued in about it.

Opinions and arseholes every body has them.

Why is that in the least bit funny? It shows a lack of respect not only for fans but also for himself.

Opinions and arseholes every body has them.

That's for sure.

Did you personally poll the entire audience after the token laughter to see what they really thought of the colorful picture that Avety painted and served up as a "joke"? So, what you are really saying is that it is just your opinion that it was not a classless performance. And so, you are certainly entitled to your... ar.... er, opinion.

Last edited:
Also, you should probably not attend panels by most of the cast of the various Treks. That's not an uncommon sort of joke to hear in those settings.

Yes, it's realistic for the real world of today. The Roddenberry humans of the future (realistic or not) do not do such things. One can make an argument that humanity will never achieve that, but the very premise of Star Trek is that they can, and they will. It is the basic conceit of the show.

There's plenty of room for gritty views of humanity in other franchises.

You know what? I would dare say that Gene Roddenberry's vision of a perfect humanity is its own form of gritty depictions of humanity. When Gene had control over Star Trek, his characters were mean spirited, arrogant and totally close minded.

Also, Wesley. Gene can keep him. At least Jake grew up to be Tomy Todd.

As Shatner said, GET A LIFE!

Did'nt have to Poll anyone the laughs were genuine.

I get you are rather fragile and uptight but I suggest that you don't judge others who are not

If you think what Avery said was, Gasp, tasteless, God forbid you ever heard what came out of Marinas mouth as I have, your little mind would have been blown out of your head! :lol

That's for sure.

Did you personally poll the entire audience after the token laughter to see what they really thought of the colorful picture that Avety painted and served up as a "joke"? So, what you are really saying is that it is just your opinion that it was not a classless performance. And so, you are certainly entitled to your... ar.... er, opinion.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back