Akira (2021)

Can't you guys see him in the role? I can. Put him in the coat, spray some water on him, yeah, it works. And he's young enough for it to have real franchise potential - they could even do Blade Runner 2 and Blade Runner 3 back-to-back if the first one makes good BO.

LOTS of marketing potential, too. Instead of merely human antagonists, what if replicants could transform into much larger killing machines? What if Spinners could do the same? SO much potential for toys etc.

Okay, okay, I'll stop, I'm sorry. :p

But the problem caused by these poxy remakes is that we can no longer just call the original property 'Akira'. We gotta add these clumsy distinguishers like 'the original Japanese version of' Akira, every time we want to mention the damn thing. Not only is that a pain in the neck, but adding such a distinguisher is an insult to the film, since it implies that the lousy remake is somehow more definitive, that the name attaches to that more than its progenitor.

And it makes the younger people not want to bother seeing the original versions half the time because it's been changed enough to cater to their short attention spans and has the flavor of the month star in it.

Can't you guys see him in the role? I can. Put him in the coat, spray some water on him, yeah, it works. And he's young enough for it to have real franchise potential - they could even do Blade Runner 2 and Blade Runner 3 back-to-back if the first one makes good BO.

WTF, you owe us an apology. You insulted Lar.. oh, wait. :lol

LOL!

Sorry for the hijack, couldn't resist running a bit further with that.

SO...the US Akira is SET in the US, too? With Caucasian characters? So...what'll it be named? "Jeff", maybe? "Randy"?

Sorry! Sorry!! :lol

You would think that would be enough to stop folks from selling the rights to anyone. If I was a japanese company i'd try and get backing and support from ILM and studios but there is no way i'd give 100% control to a US company. It would like captain america being filmed in Iraq with all Iraqi actors. Just not a good idea.

Re: American "Akira" coming 2011

Hilarious vid, but the remake is happening - I have a friend working on pre-production.

Um, pre-prod guys might not be as high in the info loop as DiCaprio though. How fast do these kinds of decisions trickle down?

Hilarious vid, but the remake is happening - I have a friend working on pre-production.

I guess I am unofficially working in the promotion department. :lol
I'll need some American Akira shwag & business cards, please.

They will inevitably cast some 34 year old to play the main. They'll turn it into an adult biker gang. Because you know, you can't have teenagers drinking and popping pills and beating people to death like they do in real lif... er, like they did in the original. :angel

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back