6 ft. TOS Enterprise

:lol

Hahahaha...

Too funny!
Thanks for the good fun attitude.
We are all having fun.

Dome tint;
I tried to make our starships as accurate as humanly possible. I listened to everyone.
My starship powered down.
IMG_4401.JPG

Warp engines running.
IMG_3953.JPG

I read the IDIC pages, and there mentions the transparent orange tinted inner dome.
Thanks to William for this pic.
71ent2.jpg

And indeed, in screen shots you can see the tint.
Even here you can see the light orange tinting.
"The Tholien Web"
IMG_2626.JPG

However many folks dispute this tint being there including a second hand accout related to me that the inner dome was actually not tinted ...but they were...
Actually salad bows with a melted ice texture.

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

Schmitz domes, original design, he made for the first 6 starships I molded.
Transparent orange tint, transparent red fans.
IMG_3795.JPG

"A melted ice texture"
I tested this. It looks awful.
IMG_4370.JPG

I just got new warp domes for the next starships, and I will do a warp test with an untinted dome.
The transparent red (tail light tape) fans was my call... as I can see the fans look red in alot of shots.
IMG_2604.JPG

I can test black electrical tape fans too.
IMG_4375.JPG

I used these plans to make my masters. Then I added the steelplates exactly as Miarecki restored the 11.
He did a good job on the plans. I traced them directly onto my foam blocks.
IMG_4396.JPG

:)

Last edited:
Ah, now it makes sense. I guess there's no way to know for sure. Most fans seem to want to make their domes orange and/or red. If the original was indeed tinted red, you'd think that would shift the colors of the lights inside. If a light was blue, it would look purple. If it was green, I don't know offhand what it would look like under an orange filter.

The original optical footage has been processed to the point where it's pretty hard to tell what the actual colors might have been just by looking at screen captures. But it does appear there were several different colors to the lights inside the domes. For me, I am going with no tint and then let the colors of the individual bulbs create the desired effect. :)

One more thing: I have seen an MR E in person and their warp engine effect looks very "right" to my eye when viewed in person. I don't believe they used a tinted dome (inner or outer). They did use multi-colored LEDs inside, with a bias toward orange LEDs.

I agree, by warp testing under "studio lights" the exact effect can be found.
MR made a great starship, the best ever made and offered in numbers, and I'm sure the warp effect is exactly what you saw watching TOS, like the first few seconds of "Metamorphisis", but when you get on a larger scale things look differently.

Change the subject....
Back to how many 66" starship designs were made,
I understand that once apon a time, "someone offered Rodd a 66" kit that Rodd (or Majel, as she liked small paper items to sell at Lincoln Enterprises, or conventions,.. like autographed photos)
Anyway, they deemed a 66" starship kit too involved, and complex".
That is from my friend.

So there is still very interesting work to be done, that has never been done before...
Where no man has gone before.

Boldly we go.

-Ron

Ron, Is the photo above with Mr Craig O. Thompson really from 1998?

Its got the feel of a 1978 photo rather than 98. I dont think its the fashionable mustache. The furnature seems older and the picture quality somehow seems odd for 1998.....or is it just me.....:)

Ron, Simply put...this is one of the most beautiful and well built E's I have ever seen. Bar none. And I appreciate all the time and effort you put into your kits. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Ron, Is the photo above with Mr Craig O. Thompson really from 1998?

Its got the feel of a 1978 photo rather than 98. I dont think its the fashionable mustache. The furnature seems older and the picture quality somehow seems odd for 1998.....or is it just me.....:)
:wacko
No it was the summer of 73 when Star Trek was gearing up for new adventures. The network failed to bring those seasons to us.
If only they knew to do "Phase Two"...

http://www.customreplicas.com

We did post picts of ours. We carried progress reports all through the development and completion of her. Go look for yourself.

Insults? Critiques are more like it.

Maybe you can stop throwing the vague and ambiguous lines out there like " ready to rumble "

To get it right, Greg Jein did the one for DS9 and was based on the available data that had yet to be fully compiled and released so he took it to that point and completed a good replica. Ours, Jim Key's is the other side of the planet. We had a lot more complete data when we did ours and it was still being developed by the researcher.

Mike Moore never did a 6ft replica.

So, you can see picts of ours all you want. And lots of people have already seen them. Sean Sides has posted his picts on his site of his build of our kit. So, where have you been cookie?

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
No way that pictures was from 1998. That was when the E was at Golden West College. Right around the corner from my house in Huntington Beach.

Besides, it was at the Smithsonian then. and had already gone through one restoration by then. Didn't Ed Miareki do the 2nd restoration in 98?

Mark

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back