6 ft. TOS Enterprise

lmgill

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Any one have for sale, or know where I can find one of the (Approx.) 6 foot Enterprise models that where being made a few years back?

Jim Key is the man who produced those. His work is Class A. I know someone who just got one and he said it is very impressive. I do not know if he is still selling them. I have heard yes he is and no he is not.

Warining, there apparently is someone or group that has tried to recast his ship. I would stay clear of it. From what I saw, casts were not great. Th enice thing about Jim (according to my friend) is that he will give you advise on your build-up.

Here is Jim Key's website: http://customreplicas.com/

Scott

Somebody recast the 66" E. Wow, they will never recoup the money they put into that. The rubber alone would cost more than buying several kits. Some people are nuts. What did they do, try to make it out resin? LOL Come to think of it, I did see pics of a known recasters shop with 5 gal buckets of resin(moron was showing off).

Last thing I heard Jim was still selling them. Contact Jim through his website.
That's what I did.

I was one of the original underwriters on the 66" Jim Key Enterprise and it was an amazing kit- I sold mine a couple of years ago in kit form- after having my kids I knew I would NEVER find the time to build it. I don't know how many were made originally but I think it was about 20 total? Jim Key is a truly great guy to deal with.

Yes, a friend told me about the thread and I told Jim. He is aware of it and has posted there.
We spent a lot of time on that project to only have it ripped off and done very badly at that. The guy did all the little parts in fiberglass!
It's a great kit! I own two of them. I'm building the production version and retroing out the other to be the 2nd pilot version:cool

Yes, contact Jim about the availabilty of it. If it's not available or cost effective for you just ask him abut the other TOS E project:love

Mark

I saw that ages ago and wondered if it was a recast. I was thinking recast, but of course(as most of us do) I didn't say anything.
Those guys are morons, no internal support? Man, and I didn't think anybody would try to recast that thing. I'll bet there is a moron out there who would try to recast the original(11').

I got mine late last year, and I asked Jim how many he's made. He told me he wasn't sure between 30-40 was his answer.

retroing out the other to be the 2nd pilot version:cool

Stardate thirteen twelve... point four! The impossible has happened... :love

ent25yq3.jpg

ent28flopbm2.jpg

Actually guys that's not a recast, it was scratchbuilt and cast in fiberglass. I saw some of the pics of the master being made, and it's definitely not a Jim Key one.

Guys, if you're talking about the Shanko project, that was definitely a scratchbuild. There are pics of the foam masters.

Guys, if you're talking about the Shanko project, that was definitely a scratchbuild. There are pics of the foam masters.

I thought that was an urber secret project? So secret you would have to know the secret handshake just to see the photos, hidden forums and all of that? :unsure

Then I stand corrected, why the same scale as Jim's?
Due to the fact when he made it he wanted a 1/2 scale to the filming miniture. He hand carved it out of foam, and did a very good job, but it is far from a copy.

One of the guys who owns a J Key has even looked at it, he can also tell you it is not a reacast. When they were made he did it only for friends and that is it. For him it was all fun and we enjoyed watching him work on it. I can tell you he will not recast others work. Kev :)

Roger, I suppose you could say it was an uber secret project. Only those who got kits or were working on it were allowed in the forum.

OK, I'm impressed. Using the word 'recaster' around here is like using the word 'witch' in Salem in the 1600's. Once it's tossed it usually leads to a total hullabalu followed by ostricization and either buring at the stake or stoning. This time around it seems to have been handled in an appropriate and adult manner. Maybe we're finally getting a little maturity going on? Thanks to everyone for not blowing this case of mistaken assumption into yet another circus.

Not that I had anything to do with it but I am sick to death of seeing things explode over nothing on a too regular basis.

Roger, I suppose you could say it was an uber secret project. Only those who got kits or were working on it were allowed in the forum.

Perhaps one day I will be able to join the ranks of the "High End" collectors and get in the click. :lol

From what little I did see of the "Shanko Project" he did do a fantastic job with the overall design of the ship. Not many folks around who can work with fiberglass on a design like that.

Perhaps one day I will be able to join the ranks of the "High End" collectors and get in the click. :lol

From what little I did see of the "Shanko Project" he did do a fantastic job with the overall design of the ship. Not many folks around who can work with fiberglass on a design like that.

I have one, and I must say he did a great job. I watched as he went from a big blueprint to foam carving to mold to my door step. It is now with one of more then 400 + kits, not counting my props, diecast cars and tanks & planes..Kev :lol

Am really not sure what he would charge for a kit. I know he did a handful but not sure if he was going beyond that. I will let him know of your intrest in the kit and see what he has to say..Kev :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back