300 Spartan brooch and cape

I don't think it has a hood. It's just alot of fabric draped really artfully. Watch the designer diary thru the link above for the workout. I think Ramiel is right tho. It's a very large rectangle. A circle would be more 'fit' at the top.

As a designer myself I'm going to have to keep an eye on mr. Wilkinson. I thought he did a wonderful job. There is life after being Catherine Martin's assistant.

I was just reading on the official website that linen was used for the capes.

Of course I was looking for info on the Immortals costume and all I found was Spartan costuming info. :lol

This is what I was thinking about the cape... More or less...
47ipan4.jpg

Forgive me if this is obvious, but it's just not my area...

What's the purpose of the two leather straps under the arms, and how are they attached to the cape?

300_1_1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gjustis @ Mar 25 2007, 02:25 AM) [snapback]1447583[/snapback]</div>

What's the purpose of the two leather straps under the arms, and how are they attached to the cape?

300_1_1.jpg

[/b]

I doubt they are attached to the cape to be honest. Normally that is a variation of a holster, the strips are probably connected across the back.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleverlilminx @ Mar 25 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]1447758[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gjustis @ Mar 25 2007, 02:25 AM) [snapback]1447583[/snapback]

300_1_1.jpg

[/b]

I doubt they are attached to the cape to be honest. Normally that is a variation of a holster, the strips are probably connected across the back.
[/b][/quote]

The leather straps are there to keep the cloak on the body. This way it does not flair out all the time. This has been verified by the costume designer and by an in person examination of the actual filming costume.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JP05 @ Mar 25 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1447764[/snapback]</div>
The leather straps are there to keep the cloak on the body. This way it does not flair out all the time. This has been verified by the costume designer and by an in person examination of the actual filming costume.
[/b]
I actually figured as much....looks more "discreetly functional" than anything.

Any word on how they attach?

I noticed the straps on last night's viewing. I'll try to find some pics, but some of them go stright up (like Leonidas') and some of them look like they meet in the middle.

I'm also satisfied that they don't have a hood. One thing though - I'm no good at interpreting folds and such, but while the cloaks were gathered at each edge (which seems normal) they went straight across at the back of the neck, not drooping at all, until about the middle of the back. Odd.

Take a look at page 34 in the "Art of the Film" book for 300. I don't have access to a scanner, but if someone does, there is a miniature picture of the cloak/strap assembly being pulled over Gerard's head. Maybe someone can derive more detail out of it than I can.

The whole cloak/strap assembly is being pulled over his head and it's already in it's full brooch/hanging cloak form, but the straps are dangling from under the brooch. I cannot tell where the straps connect to from the picture. They must run from the brooch, under the arm, and connect to something under the cloak.

That is very interesting Dakk, I was already planning to head out and see 300 on the IMAX here soon so I may bring a notepad with me and make notes of this setup if I can see it clearly in the film.

To me, the first thing I thought when I saw the straps was how the Superman cape attaches to the wearer, I think the cloak attaches the same way. The straps run under the arms and conect across the upper back. The broach, I think, is just used to join the two corners together and the strap actually bears the weight of the cloak. If you notice, it's very similar to the way Supes cape hangs.

Just my 2 cents.
-B89. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beeb89 @ Mar 26 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1448440[/snapback]</div>
To me, the first thing I thought when I saw the straps was how the Superman cape attaches to the wearer, I think the cloak attaches the same way. The straps run under the arms and conect across the upper back. The broach, I think, is just used to join the two corners together and the strap actually bears the weight of the cloak. If you notice, it's very similar to the way Supes cape hangs.
[/b]
This is what I (in my limited-experience vision) was thinking. Given the sure weight of the cloth itself, I figure the brooch was more ornamental rather than functional.

W/ the Supes cape, how did the straps attach to the fabric?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gjustis @ Mar 26 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]1448503[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beeb89 @ Mar 26 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1448440[/snapback]
[/b]
This is what I (in my limited-experience vision) was thinking. Given the sure weight of the cloth itself, I figure the brooch was more ornamental rather than functional.

W/ the Supes cape, how did the straps attach to the fabric?
[/b][/quote]
velcro

Got it. Did the straps cross in the back, or are they more "backpack" in design?

Sorry for the 2-questins... :angel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beeb89 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1448440[/snapback]</div>
...The broach, I think, is just used to join the two corners together and the strap actually bears the weight of the cloak. If you notice, it's very similar to the way Supes cape hangs.

Just my 2 cents.
[/b]

An important point to make. The problem with capes is that without this sort of harness, the weight of the cape would continually strangle the wearer. The Spartans were wearing no armor to attach the cape to, hence the need for the straps.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaxPlague @ Mar 26 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]1448585[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beeb89 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1448440[/snapback]
...The broach, I think, is just used to join the two corners together and the strap actually bears the weight of the cloak. If you notice, it's very similar to the way Supes cape hangs.

Just my 2 cents.
[/b]

An important point to make. The problem with capes is that without this sort of harness, the weight of the cape would continually strangle the wearer. The Spartans were wearing no armor to attach the cape to, hence the need for the straps.
[/b][/quote]

when they should have actually been wearing armour hehe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3720to1 @ Mar 26 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]1448606[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaxPlague @ Mar 26 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]1448585[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beeb89 @ Mar 26 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1448440[/snapback]

Just my 2 cents.
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

when they should have actually been wearing armour hehe
[/b][/quote]

Historically, No. The Spartans did not wear full body armor. They had about as much as was pictured in the film. Maybe a breastplate. Frank Miller is no fool, he does his research.

And Yes everyone, the straps are likely just to hold the weight of the cape. Think about it. 4-ish yards of heavyweight linen. Probably closing in on 40 lbs.

I work in costumes for theatre and we have to do stuff like this all the time to keep from killing the actors. It's really no different than knit chain mail.

Actually, the Spartans did, in fact, wear armor. This is mentioned in both histories of the time (Herodotus, Plutarch, et al), as well as in a number of contemporary scholarly writings, including the much-touted "Gates of Fire" by Pressfield (used heavily in the new History Channel special). Of course, the armor isn't all that heavy, consisting primarily of a curiass (breatplate) and leg armor. Sectional stuff.

There's supposedly a period of time in which Spartans (like most Greeks at the time) abandoned most armor for chitons, but this lasted only from approx. 450 b.c. to 350 b.c. (post-hot gates), and there's very little tangible evidence speaking to this end.

I think of the Spartans' fashion portrayal in the movie as romanticism, as it's an image that has been shown in many kinds of more historically-modern artwork (paintings, etc.). Miller's research likely focused only on this romantic image, which was translated into his book (and subsequently into the film).

And dammit, it's badass.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back