2013 Toronto Prop Party

- 9am is a good start time but I'd have the doors open for exhibitors to set up at 8am. It seemed that the party this year didn't even start until 11am.

- Food tickets. Sell separate tickets for pizza slices and pop/water ahead of time so that there is less confusion when the food arrives. That way you'll also know how much food to get (plus a little more because you know people will buy it when it arrives as well).

- A lot of my invitees didn't show up because the "private event" prior to 1pm. They said that they'd feel like an outsider and that's not the impression we want to give folks if we want to grow this thing. Next year I wouldn't have that.

- Hours. If the cost isn't prohibitive I think the event could be longer. I had a few guests who normally work on Saturdays who would have come after work but we were done. This would allow for more organized events/tutorials during the actual party itself. It might also convince people to bring more or dress up more because it's a bigger event.
Doors were meant to be open before 9 for set-up though there were delays, one being that the hotel staff took their time in responding to my request to get the doors unlocked!

The event being private before 1 was only for the general public, not people we invited. That was so that people would have a chance to mingle as they wished without feeling additional pressure to watch their items when the general public was in the room. Sort of get some of the mingling out of the way early. In order to make the event pay for itself we need more people in the door, and with limited people on the forum that means general public (targeted to those who would find it interesting of course)...if people are fine with it being open to the public all day then that's cool of course. I personally would maintain this for the above reason, but make it clear to any guests that we personally invite that they can enter any time without feeling like an outsider.

I believe the cost does go up if running past 5PM, but worth looking into even if only by an extra hour that could help. Plus extra time talking props is always good!! People were also packing up early this year.

For anyone wanting a t-shirt today there is free standard shipping using the coupon code TDAY2013! Also have added the leaf designs from 2012!
logo-on-american-apparel-tee.png
figures-on-american-apparel-tee.png
leaf-with-text-on-american-apparel-tee.png
leaf-on-american-apparel-tee.png

Toronto Prop Party Shop

The event being private before 1 was only for the general public, not people we invited. That was so that people would have a chance to mingle as they wished without feeling additional pressure to watch their items when the general public was in the room. Sort of get some of the mingling out of the way early. In order to make the event pay for itself we need more people in the door, and with limited people on the forum that means general public (targeted to those who would find it interesting of course)...if people are fine with it being open to the public all day then that's cool of course. I personally would maintain this for the above reason, but make it clear to any guests that we personally invite that they can enter any time without feeling like an outsider.

Oh, I realize that. I'm just saying it put people off. I was expecting an additional 7 guests but despite my insistance that it would be fine they said they wouldn't be comfortable at a private event. That's all I'm saying. :)

Any was we could get this year's logos without "Toronto Prop Party"? Last year the leaf without the name sold the best. :)

It'a certainly valuable input Mike! It's something to take into consideration, and would if people are cool with it just being open in general all day then that's cool.

Good suggestion on the additional artwork style Mike. Which one in particular were you thinking and I can get it set up first (distressed or clean?)?

It's a great design. I wore it to HMV yesterday and the guy asked me where I got the skirt from. Ironically I wore it at the prop party; people still asked me if I was with the RPF forum even when I was standing in front of my stuff... haha

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... and I have just completed the MA37 assault rifle. At the prop party I dumped it beside the table on the floor and it was half-finished. Here is the link to the post... (my first post at rpf).

http://www.therpf.com/f11/scratch-b...t-foam-paper-liquid-resin-188535/#post2950469

Last edited:
Thanks! Got it...my Dalek will not exterminate you next year LOL, had a good time...I have interests from my other 2 Dalek squad mates ... Dalek Auric and Dalek Dreadnought who wish to attend next year...!

Regards!

Thanks! Got it...my Dalek will not exterminate you next year LOL, had a good time...I have interests from my other 2 Dalek squad mates ... Dalek Auric and Dalek Dreadnought who wish to attend next year...!

Regards!

Awesome! Always room for more Doctor Who. :D

One thing I did with my stuff is I labelled them. That way if I was not there people can read about what I was making.

Looking at other people's stuff if great but what was even better was talking to people and hearing the stories behind the props. Now I could not do this with everyone but maybe we could have something like a round table where we can go from table to table and people who wanted can talk about their stuff.

I noticed on the facebook page that there was an invite button. I would swear that it was not there before as I would have gone through my friends and invited the ones that I thought may be interested in coming out.

I had no problem with the method for the food and prizes.

Oh... and I have just completed the MA37 assault rifle. At the prop party I dumped it beside the table on the floor and it was half-finished. Here is the link to the post... (my first post at rpf).

Nice work, did you check out Micheals for some supplies? I want to see the apple if/when you do it. BTW, if anyone wanted my tutorial again, it's here:
Apple of Eden Creation by monkey540 on deviantART

I mean to do this every year... And run out of time every year... :lol
Any pics of your paper props displays???

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back