2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Thread™

Thanks! No man, it is RED in person, under all that dust and crap. I think it photographs orange because of the color temperature of the crap lights in the Archives, the three dimensional layers of DUST that refract all light and hope, and the voodoo nature of it all.

I mixed this color and agonized over it, to be honest... it looks kinda orange-ish in person if you have it under the kitchen fluorescents, and it looks hella red with a flash. All archival pics show the original to be RED RED RED... but i still mixed it towards the orange. It definitely changed a lot when I misted over everything with the greys, black, and whatnot.

That pic against the hard wood flooring is skewing everything, since I took the pics quick and dirty.

tomato red, I guess? I matched my color to the first pic, since it was taken in '75 or '76

tomato.jpg

tomahto.jpg

I wonder if the model was speckled like that intentionally, or if that happened because of overspray - it doesn't appear at the back, or on the underside...

Bee-yoot-eee-ful Jason! Did you consider speckling with tan? It might turn down the red a bit more.

Anyway, it looks great as it is! I know I'll be referring back to this thread when I build mine!

Craig

Yeah, there is a tan grey mist in there... it should show up better with better pics tomorrow. This was a weird model to paint!

this is bittersweet. this phenomonal build and thread was the highlight of my day / night. This daily update in the stuido section was like xmas everyday.:cry

anyway, thanks for sharing and the instructions. [edit.. i have to stop posting drunk]

Last edited:
Nice Jason.. just got out of the hospital and saw the final posts pictures! Well done!!! I'll stay in touch... Im sure Red jammer will like a companion!
Once again... great job!
Steve

No worries.. was down for a proceedure to remove a 8mm kidney stone... developed a blood clot which equals #2 surgery then hospital time.. got home.. had some breathing issues and high blood pressure.. unheard of numbers.. was re admitted... now home again... taking bout a 100 pills a day.... will be back full force in a couple weeks... have a stent in the ueter... not fun...

again Y Looks awesome... will call you in a few....

Steve

i just received my kit! But i need help identifying the missing parts :(

At first everything looks great.
IMGP0911-1.JPG

but as i began to unwrap everything, i noticed some crucial parts missing. I'm afraid i won't be able to complete the kit without these crucial parts. Can anyone help me identify what i'm missing here?
IMGP0918-1.JPG

This piece is missing... i think it was a p.newman ...(at least the cuts are clean)
IMGP0913-1.JPG

And then this truvia sweetener is completely hacked and gone...
IMGP0914-1.JPG

Last, i have no idea what is missing here, but i think it is a crucial element that will help me get ice cream at a discount...but i can't tell what brand! How will i complete this kit perfectly if you withhold some of the most critical pieces!
IMGP0917-1.JPG

I'm speechless, i have no idea what to say, i can't believe the state i received this in...

:love
thanks for this beautiful kit, i will try to continue without the missing parts...

p.p.s. hang in there with the kidney troubles. I had a 3mm stone last summer, that i thought would be the end of me. 8mm?! Take care of yourself! and get well soon.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back