2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Thread™

Yeah, I think Blue One, Red Y, and the original configuration of the Pirate Ship were painted white, then weathered. So we're talking anything first made in late '75, I guess.

This baby won't look white for too much longer, hehehe.

I wonder if the white might simply be the same car primer they carried on using on the later models, over the black and under the grey?

Picked mine up today. It's NICE. Happy bunny here. Thanks fellas.

Hey, mine came same day!...haven't been eating or sleeping properly the last 24 hours, heheheehehehee... kit's causing some family arguments, though. Whole mob of relatives over for xmas and two of my aunts blew a gasket when I told them it's gonna be painted with a red stripe. On and on they went, 'But it were never that colour in the film!' and all the rest of it. My uncle - a good old duffer - tried to explain to them about the history of the Red model, but they were having none of it and just went on about how it'd be a waste of 500$ not to paint it yellow etc. And one of them was whinging on about the small guns on the turret.

Well I never had any intentions of causing any family arguments, but that sounded like a fun filled holiday!

The paint job is looking great Jason..

John C

Hahaha! :)

Hey, mine came same day!...haven't been eating or sleeping properly the last 24 hours, heheheehehehee... kit's causing some family arguments, though. Whole mob of relatives over for xmas and two of my aunts blew a gasket when I told them it's gonna be painted with a red stripe. On and on they went, 'But it were never that colour in the film!' and all the rest of it. My uncle - a good old duffer - tried to explain to them about the history of the Red model, but they were having none of it and just went on about how it'd be a waste of 500$ not to paint it yellow etc. And one of them was whinging on about the small guns on the turret.

Nah... I was joking! :) Sorry, sorry, do forgive me, but I love playing with the comic potential in the idea of a world where every single person has our level of SW model knowledge. Tickles my surrealist funny bone.

Anyway, back on-topic. Paint's looking mighty fine, Jason! And the kit is just overwhelming... overwhelming...

Last edited:
You've spoken to me previously of your "Star Wars expert aunties", so I swallowed this one hook line and sinker! You swine, sir! You cad! :lol

All that's left is the airbrushing and chipping... jeez, you think you're done with the decals and weird little painted accents, but holy crap - this thing is COVERED. It took forever to make sure I didn't miss anything that needed a base color.

P1000145.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back