1:4ish 87 GT Performer BMX model and print

Crozzy

Hi everyone. Like so many, I fell in love with BMX as a kid in the 80s. Everything about them is just rad!! Growing up I never had the chance to snag some of the iconic bikes except a 1995 Schwinn XS ( which isn't as iconic as so many others) but it was and still is my prized BMX.
With my love for bikes and modeling, I decided I would combine the two and model the 87 GT Performer.
I wanted it to be as detailed as possible so I modeled each piece and designed in a way to make it printable.
Spent a few months on it using Nomad sculpt on my IPad Pro using tons of reference. I have recently started printing each piece, then going back, redesigning parts to work better and printing again. As this is a trial run to make sure everything prints cleanly, I will be repeating these steps until I have a fully finished, accurate scaled down version of one of my favorite bikes.
I'll be updating this thread as progress is made and I hope you all will join me in watching this come together.

3d model captures
FB_IMG_1714130115809.jpg

FB_IMG_1714130110783.jpg
FB_IMG_1714130123368.jpg
FB_IMG_1714130126570.jpg

Test printing the frame
20240425_161523.jpg
20240425_161511.jpg

Testing some color to try and get that Dayglo Orange
20240427_164727.jpg

Other parts printed as well. Some changes will be made with these
20240427_191023.jpg
20240428_140825.jpg
20240428_140833.jpg

Stay tuned as I'll be updating this pretty regularly.
Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Suh-WEET! Looking forward to seeing this come together. I was same as you re: love of 80s BMX but....my parents were too poor to buy anything BMX, so instead they gave me a cheap, brown Sears bike (full-sized with coaster brake and no gears). I put a red pad on the crossbar as an ironic acknowledgement that, yeah, my bike sucks. :lol:

I'm not still bitter, though. Not at all.

OK, well, thanks for joining my therapy session. Good night!

Suh-WEET! Looking forward to seeing this come together. I was same as you re: love of 80s BMX but....my parents were too poor to buy anything BMX, so instead they gave me a cheap, brown Sears bike (full-sized with coaster brake and no gears). I put a red pad on the crossbar as an ironic acknowledgement that, yeah, my bike sucks. :lol:

I'm not still bitter, though. Not at all.

OK, well, thanks for joining my therapy session. Good night!
I'm glad I could provide something cool to help aid in said therapy. Lol
Since I can't fork out the funds for a real one...I figured this is the best I could do to help curb that itch.

Whoa! I love this! I had an 86 GT Performer (Green & White). Its crazy the prices that these fetch nowadays.
Definitely following your progress.

PS love the weld lines on the handlebars.

Last edited:
Whoa! I love this! I had an 86 GT Performer (Green & White). Its crazy the prices that these fetch nowadays.
Definitely following your progress.
Yea I know. I wouldn't even mind finding just the majority of one and rebuilding it. I don't need one in tip top condition. Part of the fun for me is sourcing out parts

Wow those prints came out nice! What printer/settings/resin are you using?

SB
I'm using the Elegoo Saturn. My settings are actually pretty basic. I just used the manufacturer spreadsheet to dial in the resin of choice which is Sunlu ABS like. Im always way behind in getting a more updated printer with better resolution. By the time I get one that's "new" now, they will have come out with far more impressive units. Lol
The Saturn is a nice machine though.

More parts have been printed and painted. I've had to resize some parts after the first initial prints proved too small.

Chain was modeled with invidual links. Decided to make this whole part one unit. Once attached, the chain will be glued at the break
20240507_104713.jpg
GT tires on Tuff rims. I may also do the GT Mags at some point.
20240507_104842.jpg
MX front brake
20240507_104917.jpg
Frame Stand, Seat clamp and Right RX-3 lever
20240507_104929.jpg

If you had made those links individually and got them working at that scale I would just sell my tools and quit
Wouldn't that be awesome. Not something I'll try...yet!! But a functional crank set at this scale would be pretty insane. Just when you think it's a static display...surpriiiiise!!!!

More parts have been printed and painted. I've had to resize some parts after the first initial prints proved too small.

Chain was modeled with invidual links. Decided to make this whole part one unit. Once attached, the chain will be glued at the break
View attachment 1817924GT tires on Tuff rims. I may also do the GT Mags at some point.View attachment 1817925MX front brakeView attachment 1817928Frame Stand, Seat clamp and Right RX-3 leverView attachment 1817929
Wait, you had "unlimited" funds (relatively speaking, the way a Porsche platic model costs as much as a Ford plastic model) and you went with regular Tuff Wheels and not graphite (with a different hub design)?
Mike Todd

Wait, you had "unlimited" funds (relatively speaking, the way a Porsche platic model costs as much as a Ford plastic model) and you went with regular Tuff Wheels and not graphite (with a different hub design)?
Mike Todd
I chose Tuff as the first option since those have always been my favorite look. As for hub design, I used ref pics and made it as close as I could for now. I'm not super proficient at 3d modeling hard surface.

BTW that looks like the "Pro Performer" frame rather than the "Performer" one for 1987. IIRC it was the same frame as the "Pro Freestyle Tour" models at the time.

Grind off the U-brake mounts, and it would be correct for a regular Performer from 1990-92. The Pro model was eliminated by then.

In the 80s-90s they were changing the frames around between the models & years so it gets confusing. Even a lot of well-restored bikes are wearing mismatched parts these days.

BTW that looks like the "Pro Performer" frame rather than the "Performer" one for 1987. IIRC it was the same frame as the "Pro Freestyle Tour" models at the time.

Grind off the U-brake mounts, and it would be correct for a regular Performer from 1990-92. The Pro model was eliminated by then.

In the 80s-90s they were changing the frames around between the models & years so it gets confusing. Even a lot of well-restored bikes are wearing mismatched parts these days.
It is the Pro. Oops, need to update the title. Lots of Frankenstein bikes back in the day. Hard to find era original parts anymore. Unless you want to drop a ton of cash. Which is why I'm not a purist. Lol

It is the Pro. Oops, need to update the title. Lots of Frankenstein bikes back in the day. Hard to find era original parts anymore. Unless you want to drop a ton of cash. Which is why I'm not a purist. Lol

Not a purist here either.

I love those old bikes. But they are like old muscle cars; the quality/durability is worse than you remember. Everybody was replacing & cannibalizing parts to keep them working even in their heyday.

They measured up well for their time. They come up shorter against the newer stuff.

Very cool! I got a mishmash Pro Performer when I was 12 for Christmas. I think originally I wanted a different model, but it would have been a long wait so they built one out of what they had. So it was probably 98% GT Performer with the drive sprocket, pedals, pegs, and grips being different. Never learned a single trick. :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back