1/12th ANH X-Wing Fighter, update page-4

It's coming, but I'd say the upper slope looks a little short and steep. Certainly compared to the 1/24 models. Can't comment on the big one as I've not got a decent profile of the nose to hand.

One thing to bear in mind is that in terms of form, the nose and the rest of the fuselage are a single entity, and every line has to be related to, and harmonized with, every other line from tip to well past the cockpit. The relationship of the upper slope of the nose to the upper slope of the fuselage for instance is absolutely crucial, and extremely subtle. I wouldn't want to model either in isolation from the other. The V3 nose for instance slopes too early but this error can only be seen when the nose is seen in context with the fuselage. Independent of the fuse, the error is virtually undetectable.

Anyway, amazing build. Good luck with it!

It's coming, but I'd say the upper slope looks a little short and steep. Certainly compared to the 1/24 models. Can't comment on the big one as I've not got a decent profile of the nose to hand.

One thing to bear in mind is that in terms of form, the nose and the rest of the fuselage are a single entity, and every line has to be related to, and harmonized with, every other line from tip to well past the cockpit. The relationship of the upper slope of the nose to the upper slope of the fuselage for instance is absolutely crucial, and extremely subtle. I wouldn't want to model either in isolation from the other. The V3 nose for instance slopes too early but this error can only be seen when the nose is seen in context with the fuselage. Independent of the fuse, the error is virtually undetectable.

Anyway, amazing build. Good luck with it!

Thanks dude!, yeah I'd thought that the upper slope is too steep as well, I'll correct it later.
Your point about keeping the nose as a separate piece in isolation from the rest of the fuse is I feel a very good suggestion and I'm now thinking of completing the rest of the fuse before commiting to styrene and completing the nose when all's well with all area's easy on the eye.
Much appreciated mate.
Stu

Are you modeling the 1/12 ILM bird, or a 1/12 version of your own?

I'm pretty sure the rear edge of the nose cone on the actual model is vertical, not angled back.

Are you modeling the 1/12 ILM bird, or a 1/12 version of your own?

I'm pretty sure the rear edge of the nose cone on the actual model is vertical, not angled back.

It will be a 1/12th version of the 1/24th ANH X-Wings. Detailing will match these as close as possible.
It's early days for the nose cone so it can still be modified as the fuselage progresses.
Stu

It will be a 1/12th version of the 1/24th ANH X-Wings. Detailing will match these as close as possible.
It's early days for the nose cone so it can still be modified as the fuselage progresses.
Stu

Then I think you're good. I think the un-used 1:12 from the Archive tours is the only one with the vertical rear edge...

ILM 1:24 nose (Red 2)
attachment.php

ILM 1:12 nose
attachment.php

FX toy nose
attachment.php

Last edited:
PH, are you sure the back of that Red 2 nose isn't vertical? Looks to me like we're viewing it from slightly behind, and the angle we're seeing is caused by the slope of the wall. The Red 3 (1/24) pics at modelermagic seem to confirm a vertical line here for ILM heroes. I always thought it was vertical myself.

Last edited:
I may be using unclear verbiage... When I refer to the rear edge, I have in mind what is at the red line in this pic:

attachment.php

Last edited:
PH, are you sure the back of that Red 2 nose isn't vertical? Looks to me like we're viewing it from slightly behind, and the angle we're seeing is caused by the slope of the wall. The Red 3 (1/24) pics at modelermagic seem to confirm a vertical line here for ILM heroes. I always thought it was vertical myself.

No....Red2' nose slopes on the backside......check your ref dude!

Stu, thats getting very close now.......not that much out as of now TBH, few tweaks is all, cant wait to see this hull, fantastic project.

lee

Ok you X-Wing buffs, I would appreciate opinions on this 1/12th nose cone in it's raw form Iv'e been slaving over for a while now!.
The contours are taken from photo ref with many templates being taken and used and adjusted as the sculpting goes along. The old eyeball goes along way too lol!.

The material here is good old laminated balsa, glued in rough blocks and then taken down to the rough shape in 2 halves.
The cone as it is now needs to be taken down 1mm all round to allow for the sheet styrene final surface. When I'm happy with the final shape the 2 halves will then be coated in a special PVA (one coat brushed on, this goes rough so needs a light sand, second coat brushed on and dries like smooth glass, incredible really!) and then the styrene is applied over this in strips/sheets to fit the contours using fast CA.
The styrene will then be sanded and this is when all the edges will be more rounded, the wood core is left with fairly straight edges before the styrene surface.
The top of the cone will have an insert for the trench detail panel and the cutout for this will happen when I'm 100% happy with the contours overall.
Cheers chaps
Stu

Stu looks great! Since you have it in two halves,
couldn't you just vacuum form them? Maybe take them down
a little more during sanding to compensate for the thickness
of the plastic your using? Would help with the recessed area
and the panel lines....if there are any I am no expert on anything.:lol:thumbsup

Thanks guys for all the comments, it really helps.

Iv'e decided to leave the nose cone as is for the time being, bar having shaved the top half slope which was too steep. Reason being that the fuselage does need to be in harmony with the nose and it will be easier to tweek things as the fuse progresses. Blocking out the fuse is going well, but one thing that I may consider is having the rear of the fuse as a separate part all in one piece such as the part in the 1/72nd Finemolds X-Wing. It would make constructing an accurate outline of the rear of the ship easier TBH and would in no way compromise the integrity of the fuse as a whole. So in essence the fuse will be in 3 parts, top/bottom and rear. I'm not decided on the nose cone as yet whether it will be one piece butted up to the fuse, or in 2 halves joined to the fuse separately. Opinions on this approach would be appreciated chaps.

Stu

were you able to finish this project?
if so, could you post some photos of the finished models?
thanks!

Man, where'd you dig this up from, ha, ha!.
I sold it to another RPF member to finish. Needed to raise some cash for the Falcon & really I just lost interest in it TBH.
Stu

after seeing this project, I decided to work on 1:12 scale x-wing myself.

but to avoid physical model making as much as possible, I chose to go for laser cutting technology.

here is some progress.

About Simhopp - Thingiverse

you can download all files without registering.

mostly Sketchup and Inkscape files, both softwares are also free to download.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back