1/1000 NX-0002

Pump You Up Saturday Night Live GIF

Finally got around to masking and painting the nacelle detail areas with a slightly darkened steel color. The rear endcaps (but not the guts inside the exposed panels), the four rectangular vents, the louvered rings behind the front domes, and the trenches.

In a slight departure from the comic art, I elected to only paint the reactor loops and the guts running along the centers of the trenches the darker color, rather than the entirely of each trench.

I also didn't go TOO dark with the steel. Just enough to differentiate it from the base hull color, to make it look like it was made from a different metal, rather than being a decorative accent color.

Once it's dry, I'll strip off the masking and take a photo or two.

Stripped off the masking. I’m very pleased. Just the look I wanted, including the contrast between the darker rear nacelle endcaps and the exposed guts inside them.

Need to do touchups here and there where the tape pulled up a few spots of paint, then, after a suitable drying period, I can clearcoat for decals.

And, just for you, pengbuzz, I took some late-night photos, instead of waiting for natural daylight.

IMG_5890.jpeg
IMG_5891.jpeg
IMG_5894.jpeg
IMG_5895.jpeg

Stripped off the masking. I’m very pleased. Just the look I wanted, including the contrast between the darker rear nacelle endcaps and the exposed guts inside them.

Need to do touchups here and there where the tape pulled up a few spots of paint, then, after a suitable drying period, I can clearcoat for decals.

And, just for you, pengbuzz, I took some late-night photos, instead of waiting for natural daylight.

View attachment 1738121View attachment 1738122View attachment 1738123View attachment 1738124
WOW!!!! You can really see the difference in the varying shades of metal there! And you were right to redo the end caps and et al in a darker steel tone; they really look fantastic!

Thank you for these pics Gregatron; I really appreciate you taking them!! :D

Finally got a chance to add the last details—the beacon dome above the hangar doors and the teensy red and green marker lights on the saucer and nacelles (applied via dabs of Micro Krystal Kleer which were then painted).

Once that’s all dry, I can finally glosscoat and begin decaling.

Applied the wash. Just in a few spots, particularly the nacelle details. I may give it another treatment or two.

Meanwhile, I should probably mention that the decaling was very straightforward. All I applied were the windows, the impulse engines, the rear hangar landing lights, and the custom registry decals (and those only on the nacelles).

Speaking of the registry decals, the comic art is a bit inconsistent regarding their location, but panels featuring profile views of the ship have them centered on each nacelle (as opposed to 3/4 aft, as on the TOS version of the ship, due to the pennant design).

One might be inclined to just put them where the usual "NCC-1701" markings go, but I chose to center them. After all, these represent TEMPORARY registry markings for an uncommissioned starship, with no other pennants/livery/markings.

So, centered they are.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back