1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Yes of course , it would give a lot of personnality to the Falcon...always in need for repair and maintenance... she's always working 2/3 of the time!! LOL...

To my taste I would love that you have decided to go higher with those corridors walls... and having two of those green wall lights would,ve been exciting... Now it's like a welcome matte and not as exciting as if it was a full complete entrance to the cockpit. It could dramatically improve the emotionnal impact of the visitor when he open the door and see that amazing cockpit... but hey it's just me!!

Amazing work as usual.... did they sell 18litres bucket of wood filler? I guess you would have saved some money there!! LOL

Cheers!!!

Hey SK, I love the idea of exposed cabling and wiring.

That said, the corridor is going to be subject to a lot of foot traffic when on display and may be less visible to you than the cockpit (you can only be on one side of the display at a time). So, unfortunately, you'll need to worry about visitors either breaking or stealing exposed pieces -I think anything inside those panels might be tempting to fans with no scruples.

Sorry to get all "real" on you, hopefully you've already considered this in your design and assembly.

Hey SB,

I've given the foot traffic an incredible amount of thought. And you are correct, there is the potential of "anything" happening with over anxious fans (it's happened before with the throttles and switches). In most cases, we "have" to think real world situations and consider the "what ifs". Any show/convention we attend there will ALWAYS be someone standing at the ready to ensure how and where people should walk.

The design of the removed panels wont be exactly screen accurate as there is a cross beam dead center of the corridor panel but I think I split the area in two. One section for pipes and wires and the other for the occasional pipe and circuit boards - still thinking it through. :)

I think that would be really cool, but it's important not to overdo it. One or two pads removed would in my opinion be more than enough.

Hey FF<

Agreed! The corridor would have only 4 large pads (8 total when I do the entire corridor ring). I think removing just one panel would be enough to give the impression of the "used" universe we all know and love. But I have to find that delicate balance between pipes, wires and insulation.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Sir! :)

Yes of course , it would give a lot of personnality to the Falcon...always in need for repair and maintenance... she's always working 2/3 of the time!! LOL...

To my taste I would love that you have decided to go higher with those corridors walls... and having two of those green wall lights would,ve been exciting... Now it's like a welcome matte and not as exciting as if it was a full complete entrance to the cockpit. It could dramatically improve the emotionnal impact of the visitor when he open the door and see that amazing cockpit... but hey it's just me!!

Amazing work as usual.... did they sell 18litres bucket of wood filler? I guess you would have saved some money there!! LOL

Cheers!!!

Hey D,

Thanks so much! It's funny, several people at the local home improvement store know me by name and the project I'm working on. They always ask if I'm getting more 1x4s, wood filler or paint. ;)

My thoughts exactly! And entire corridor ring showcasing not only the exposed wiring but the familiar corridor lights would be AMAZING and just give it that finished look! We'll get there eventually. I want to finish these half corridor panels first and see how they turn out.

I think the real thrill would be including the bend in the corridor that we see when the cockpit door is open. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough room at the warehouse to include it. But I check again!

Thanks again for the kind words and continued support.

Hey D,
My thoughts exactly! And entire corridor ring showcasing not only the exposed wiring but the familiar corridor lights would be AMAZING and just give it that finished look! We'll get there eventually. I want to finish these half corridor panels first and see how they turn out.
I think the real thrill would be including the bend in the corridor that we see when the cockpit door is open. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough room at the warehouse to include it.

We have a 13' section of hallway well underway up here in Nashville.

IMG_3246.jpgIMG_3251.jpgIMG_3252.jpgIMG_3255.jpgIMG_3260.jpgIMG_3285.jpg

Catching up and checking in, for those of you watching from afar I can say from sharing a workspace with this epic build it never gets old seeing it. It's very much an inspiration to see and it always commands the conversation when new people visit our space.

Sofa is a maestro with the tools at his disposal. It's fun to walk into the space (we all naturally call it "FalconSpace") and search out what he's added recently. And after the funk of the Volvo panels he's been going full speed recently. Most of us cheering him on as he goes.

I really wanted to chime in and discuss the plexiglass Window option. To reinforce what he already said, all the lights and body heat make the cockpit unbearable quickly when at a show. I agree that we need the Windows but we need some quick way of removing them as well. The cockpit will need a much better ventilation system and Sofa and I have discussed in the past and need to revisit it.

For the hive mind, we have these concerns:

We put fans (120mm PC style 12v fans with grills) down low where they won't be seen, they will bring in fresh cool air, fans up on the canopy behind greeblies etc will exhaust hot air. This is the best plan for heat transfer due to convection. The speculation is it pulls foot/body funk up to our noses... ugh.

we plan for small vents around the windows up high and let the heat out by forced air some other way. Sofa king didn't really like this last time we talked and I'm not really sold on it either.

Fan ports inside the walls and hope forced air makes it way through small vent greeblies scattered around naturally.

Does anyone have experience venting a tight enclosed space like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volvos are indeed 'funky', all of them :D

I've often thought the ol'bird needed wind-down windows, for parallel parking and stuff - would that help with cooling? Second thoughts, maybe a tad dangerous if you forget you're in space....

If you do the low/high vents with forced air for a short-term solution and the BO/foot funk is a serious concern, perhaps some of those in-vent air deodorizers for car interiors might be a suitable short-term, replaceable solution. I'm sure they make some that with a relatively neutral odor (so it doesn't smell like strawberries or whatever).

Yes I was thinking about your project TK i'm following you on FB.!!! Now both of you.. please share some measurements to see if it's fits!!! LOL

So let's put things into perspective: hot air rises, cool air drops. Hoses and fans of cool air should be affixed to the ceiling, blowing that air downward. Now, the question is: how could you successfully integrate these into the cockpit? Don't know...the system used should take into account the square footage of the cockpit and also if the door will be opening and closing or staying open. That open-close could also modify the air inside, the amount of people in the cockpit and how long they stay. You should consult a tech in heating/cooling; he'll give you the straight answer (and the price:eek) of a portable unit made specifically for your cockpit. Good luck Sofa.

Hey Guys / Gals,

The A/C / air flow discussion has been going on for quite some now. The only area I can think of, minus turning it into some sort of external greeblie, is the space directly under the console. If we're able to find a unit small enough while maintaining the structural rigidity of the nose platform / cone we might be able to successfully mount and circulate enough air. I think for this version of the cockpit we should just leave well enough alone, get it finished, enjoy it and then immediately start Cockpit V2 keeping the closed plexiglass canopy and air circulation in mind.

Ideas?

Hey Guys / Gals,

The A/C / air flow discussion has been going on for quite some now. The only area I can think of, minus turning it into some sort of external greeblie, is the space directly under the console. If we're able to find a unit small enough while maintaining the structural rigidity of the nose platform / cone we might be able to successfully mount and circulate enough air. I think for this version of the cockpit we should just leave well enough alone, get it finished, enjoy it and then immediately start Cockpit V2 keeping the closed plexiglass canopy and air circulation in mind.

Ideas?

Perhaps you can look into a ductless A/C unit. Not exactly the cheap route, but quiet and efficient.

There is loads of small portable air con units out there can either be self standing off to side and fed in and out via pipes. If not I'm sure you could find something that you could use as the vase of the console unit.
If not another thing you could look at is a roof mounted unit as fitted into caravans and motorhomes yes it's not exactly canon as such but if needs must.

Loosebruce

Aircondition:

There are two issues where air-condition is an issue: Temperature and oxygen/carbon dioxide levels. Where I come from, the first problem would be non existent, or easily solved with a small heat source, but the very small air volume inside an enclosed cockpit would very quickly turn bad with people scampering in and out, and particularly with any work the require physical labour or anything involving solvents. A baking cockpit would be unpleasant, but the air quality could quickly turn into a nasty health issue. I really would not use deodorizers, they will only ad to the problem of air quality. The build up of moisture from people breathing inside could also potentially ruin the whole project.

The only real solution I would suggest is not so much air condition, as to assure there's circulation of air from the outside. There's already greeblies that look like fans, sneaking a hose from one of those to the outside should be possible. If fitting things inside the walls prove difficult, coupling on a pair of airducts/hoses when the cockpit is mounted could be a solution. That way, and AC/fan unit can be placed away from the cockpit itself, and not ruin the looks.

Hi Gang,

This weekend wasn't as productive as it should have been! Rogue One was awesome but then bad weather hit and kinda put a damper on any real forward progress. BUT...

I finally drilled these holes
20161218_054104_zpshkrpyqtk.jpg

20161218_054825_zps9hq70fzh.jpg

I finally added pinstripes to the foot well panels!
20161218_061124_zps3hjrgan4.jpg

20161218_061130_zps4hlo8leq.jpg

Whoops...
20161218_061134_zpsdvpl6mbf.jpg

Add some weathering! FINALLY!
20161218_062933_zpsp6jf0tt6.jpg

20161218_062939_zpshmtn1usz.jpg

20161218_063835_zpsbqerozbl.jpg

Close Up of the Panel Lights
20161218_063839_zps25fewtsv.jpg

20161218_063843_zpsglrkofoc.jpg

20161218_063848_zpsk2wwrr49.jpg

20161218_063909_zpsslh38mse.jpg

Something is missing...
20161218_063857_zpskschyibe.jpg

PINSTRIPES!
20161218_071625_zpsol1o9po9.jpg

20161218_071637_zpsdgxyuwtw.jpg

20161218_075404_zpsq44kljnq.jpg

20161218_075408_zpspehgswif.jpg

20161218_075415_zpsne8wfmwn.jpg

I decided to paint the new screens silver
20161218_100609_zpsy3ihk1ks.jpg

I then added some wiring
20161218_104648_zpslu2yhdij.jpg

The greeblies sticking out of the panel are not bolted in place thats why they are not aligned...
20161218_104653_zpsskco0fgx.jpg

20161218_104700_zpsk2lm14je.jpg

Silver Screens - not yet bolted in place
20161218_150425_zps2wwr0ip0.jpg

20161218_150434_zpsq2coqnfi.jpg

A few more greeblies to add and I think we can call this near finished!
20161218_150637_zpsgxq2ofb1.jpg

More to Follow!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back