Yet Another Han Solo in Carbonite WIP - Update 11/28/2012

Reel Fakes

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Gang,

I finally finished up the main case and decided to snap some pics to show him off. I'm very happy with my progress so far :)

4596737.jpeg

4645696.jpeg

4679847.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Yet Another Han Solo in Carbonite WIP

Looking really good! I recently finished up one of these too so I appreciate the amount of work that goes into it.

I like that ESB poster in the background, don't think I've seen that one before?

Thanks Al,

Tell me about it!
I'm on my 5th paint job - took me that many tries to get the look I wanted.

The front panel is a rubber Stormrider casting, and the box is made from MDF.
I made the box the old fashioned way (no CNC) so it took quite a while to get it "perfect". Just need to start on the panels now (great timing!)

The poster is the ESB rerelease onesheet from 1982. I had the same one on my bedroom door as a kid until it was tattered and torn, so when I was setting up my new office, I got a new one. :)

hey Chris,

Wow, it looks great! :thumbsup

I'm right in the thick of building one now too! :love

I've spent the whole week, but I about have the "box" done.

Questions...

Did you use bondo to fill your seams?

What did you use for primer and how many coats?

What brand and color of finish paint did you use?

Did you spray everything on?

Did you seal the MDF somehow first?

thanks in advance! :thumbsup

brad

Thanks Guys,

Yes, I did use bondo to fill the seams, but make sure your box is really solid around the joins on the inside, or just moving your box around will cause cracks. I haven't really found a solution for this, but you have to look really close to see the cracks.

I used a spray-on schelac (two coats sanding in between).
I used 3 cans of primer (Krylon).

After that I tried a bunch of different paints and techniques until I settled on this paint scheme:
The Han section -
The base coat is Tamaya gloss aluminum (took 3 of those little cans).
Then black acrylic paint to darken the low points.
After that, a wash of thin black acrylic paint to bring out the details.
Finally, silver Rub N' Buff on the highest points
The box itself is painted with Krylon stainless steal.

After the whole thing was nice and dry, I used funiture polish to give it a nice luster.

As a child I loved Star Wars; never been much into the prop collecting from the movies but if I could get my hands on one of these I'd probably star to add to my sons Yoda statue. Where can I find one of these bad boys??? This piece looks great and your work is superbly done! It looks great; keep up the good work!!!

Thanks Guys,

I have some updated pic to show off :)

First off, I've been working on the side panels - still got a ways to go there, bit they are there in the pics. Also, the finish was starting to bug be because it just seems a bit too silver, so I gave it a new wash. I found this great acryluic paint at Michaels made by Folk Art. It's #667 Metallic Gunmetal Grey. I applied a heavy wash over the entire han section, strategically wiping it away. Anyway, the amount of detail I managed to bring out was incredible, and the overall finish looks very realistic. After the new wash, I went back over the high points with silver rub n buff.

Enough out of me, here are the pics:
0454358.jpeg

0853072.jpeg

0898949.jpeg

Re: Yet Another Han Solo in Carbonite WIP - Update 1/02/2011

Also, the finish was starting to bug be because it just seems a bit too silver, so I gave it a new wash. I found this great acryluic paint at Michaels made by Folk Art. It's #667 Metallic Gunmetal Grey. I applied a heavy wash over the entire han section, strategically wiping it away. Anyway, the amount of detail I managed to bring out was incredible, and the overall finish looks very realistic. After the new wash, I went back over the high points with silver rub n buff.

hey Chris,

It really looks great!

I've been really happy with your choice of colors as I've used them on my HIC...:love (y)thumbsup

As much as I do love the colors, there is quite a contrast between the Han panel and the box.

Has this new wash blended the two at all? It sounds like you just applied the new wash to the Han panel only? Did you have to go back over with a black acrylic wash again after applying the new Gunmetal wash?

thanks for sharing the pics!

brad

Hi Brad,

No - I didn't add any more black, but if it had not been there, I don't think the gunmetal would have looked as good over top.
For the record, I think the original prop was painted all one color, and the differences in tone are all due to the various weathering techniques used. I'm thinking about adding some weathering to the "box", but for now it's just on the Han panel.

Thanks for your compliments guys :) I'm really pleased with the progress so far.

I was thinking ooooh thats got a lot of detail in the carbonite, then you said its a stormrider front panel and i was pleased as thats what i have :thumbsup

how was it attached to the box? i mean how did you get it to lay flat properly? how to you attach it, glue ?

-z

Hi Zorg,

I attached the rubber to the flat front side with liquid nails. I glued it down in sections - about 1/4 at a time. I made sure it was flat, and that the back was filled enough so it no longer seamed like rubber. I then made sure there was a lot of weight on the sections that needed to be flat against the board. Take your time. It won't be perfect, but that's the beauty of this prop - it can be a little bumpy.

Here's a pic from October:
1722972.jpeg

Right now you can't even tell it was rubber unless you bend the fingers (lol).

Last edited:

Thanks for the info, what did you use to blend the edges with the wood? you did a good job, hope mine turns out as good -z

Doooood, that looks great! Last time I saw Han, he was all rolled up and had to be laid down on the floor! Looks great!

I haven't used the stuff much (if at all), but would vinyl spackle work on the MDF joints? Would it have a little bit of flex, where the Bondo has a little bit of brittle? I'm a big fan of Bondo, but yeah, if the base flexs, it's not quite as wonderful.

I haven't used the stuff much (if at all), but would vinyl spackle work on the MDF joints? Would it have a little bit of flex, where the Bondo has a little bit of brittle? I'm a big fan of Bondo, but yeah, if the base flexs, it's not quite as wonderful.

not to jump in on Chris' thread, but here's my $.02...

I'd never worked with bondo before, but I used it on my HIC joints and it worked great.

Just make sure you overbuild your box and you'll be fine. I've moved mine back and forth from my garage to my basement twice, hung it on two different locations on different walls and moved it on and off saw horses several times with absolutely no cracks.

I think the key is a strong structure and lots of wood glue! :)

HTH,

brad

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back