TRON Legacy - Identity Disc: Custom with Lights and Sounds

zookone

Greetings Programs!

Working to pick-up the torch from a couple of other inspiring TRON Legacy Disc projects. Particularly this one which was looking stellar and showed a lot of promise:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/tron-legacy-id-disc-small-update-100476/index7.html

I've got all design modeling for the disc done. I just need to get the electronic bits ordered, double check dimensions and try to get them working on the bench top.

Adding all the electronics will be a new challenge for me. I think my friend may be able to help me out a bit though. I'm going to try using this little Trinket Micro Controller. It's really the only one that will fit inside for a 10" overall Disc:

Adafruit Trinket - Mini Microcontroller - 3.3V Logic ID: 1500 - $7.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

For the lights I'm planning on using these NeoPixel Strips and wrap them around channels in the Disc Body:

Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 60 LED -1m [BLACK] ID: 1461 - $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Also, gonna try to cram in the switch, haptic motor, LiPo Battery, Audio Breakout Board, and Speaker. The small LiPo battery I need in out of stock at the moment, once it's back in I'll order all the bits and dive into the world of Arduino IDE.

Planning to 3D print the Disc halves, Maybe have the rings milled, if I'm able to get the electronics functioning.

If there are any electronics/Arduino-IDE experts out there I could certainly use some help making sure all the parts would work together and the battery would be sufficient.

-Z

Actually i haven't dropped the tourch yet as my thread is still going (not stopping now after 2yrs R&D and £1500 investment. We are designing a purpose made PCB for the discs which slowed the process down a bit.

Last edited:
Listen to Renderinfo zookone, please do your best at it :thumbsup

I'm sorry if I came over a bit strongly in my earlier post, I believe it was unnecessary and a little on the reactive side (something I have to keep a conscious tab on at times), and for that I humbly apologise.

Now that I've got over myself somewhat, I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Hey no sweat Canobi. I've been following your build on Ancient Style TRON disc. I can definately see where having a custom PCB would be benefical for the Legacy Disc. The ring is really tiny inside.

I started digging through the game sounds from TRON Evolution lastnight. I found some Disc Sound Effects but didn't find the right sound loops for the disc to match the Disc Wars Movie Scene. I've gotta reinstall the game and see if if any of the cutscenes or specific parts might hold a better sound FX.

Ordered the breakout sound chip yesterday. No Small LiPo batteries in yet, so still waiting to order the rest.

Which sound chip you getting? I bought an ISD2540 originally as they are multi addressable and can be used by controller chips (in my case a 5v arduino pro mini), and the looping function was just right (about .25 milliseconds). Might be an idea to check the datasheet for your chip (if you havent already), and see what it says.

PM me your email and I'll drop you the blade drone loop I made.

Last edited:
I ordered this sound module based on the wtv020 chip. While other wtv020 chips can be found for less. This one had a better shape to fit in the disc, plus mounting holes, and most of folks issues involved with this chip involved not having, or being able to find the right micro SD card to use. Going this route solved that problem and my time was work the extra 10 bucks.

Embedded Adventures - Products - WTV020-SD SoundOut audio module - MOD-1007

I ordered this sound module based on the wtv020 chip. While other wtv020 chips can be found for less. This one had a better shape to fit in the disc, plus mounting holes, and most of folks issues involved with this chip involved not having, or being able to find the right micro SD card to use. Going this route solved that problem and my time was work the extra 10 bucks.

Embedded Adventures - Products - WTV020-SD SoundOut audio module - MOD-1007

Yeh, that'll work :thumbsup

Have you given any thought to sound output yet (things like which activation switches, amps/speakers and such to use)?

I started a thread over at adafruit to get help and advice with the electronics site of the project:

Adafruit Customer Support Forums! - adafruit, arduino, hardware, opensource, projects, raspberry, computer, raspberrypi, microcontrollers, raspberry pi, electronics, howto, how-to, science, technology, gadgets ? View topic - Trinket Project - NeoPixe

So if you wanna follow the trial and tribulations of the effort, the task will be cross pollinating between the two forums.

The first reply was, gotta figure out another battery option, and should go with a microcontroller with more memory. I can make an Arduino Micro fit so I think I'll go that route. There seems to more access to tutorials, etc for the Arduino than a Teensy

I've got the electronics needed to prototype ordered. I went with an Arduino Micro and am going to try powering the project with 4AA rechargeables.

As I prototype, and parts function as intended I'll continue to refine the interior of the disc to accommodate the electronics with hold offs and wire ways etc. More to come once I get some lights and sounds going.

If you need any help with programming and wiring I'm quite proficient in the Arduino IDE and can help you wire everything up.

Last edited:
If you need any help with programming and wiring I'm quite proficient in the Arduino IDE and can help you wire everything up.

ookid - Thanks a ton for the offer to help! I will most likely be needing some. I should get my arduino micro and other items tomorrow. I'm going to start prototyping the electronics and the refine the inside of the disc model once the electronics are functioning.

All the parts arrived so I mocked them up... Batteries are just for test. I'll need to use rechargeable so I don't blow the Arduino.

From 12:00 around clockwise: Audio Breakout & power/mode switch breakout, compass+accelerometer, AA battery, 2.8w 4ohm Stereo Amp, AA battery, speaker 1 watt 4 ohms (i have a second one too), AA battery, Arduino Micro, AA battery, Haptic vibrating motor.

Not shown the LED light Strips. Disc is 10" diameter with the blade. 9 1/2" without blade.

Parts Mock-Up.JPG

Man this thing is like totally done already!

Boy the parts are small! I thought the Arduino used a mini usb. Nope a micro usb. I don't have one of those. Next step get the micro usb and start working on blink scripts etc...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back