Show your Dr. Who props!

Re: Show your Dr. Who props!

So this is kind of an odd... thing... but has anyone ever cast any jelly babies? Resin copies?
I want to do an entire room full of props and costume bits from each Doctor and it wouldn't be complete unless I had a little bag of jelly babies. I'd rather not leave candy around (ants, they could melt, etc.) and was wondering if anyone has ever done it?

This thread finally reminded me of how I first found RPF. Someone from this site had posted my Tom Baker scarves from my Etsy shop and I found it from my shop's search history.

Anyway, I knit these scarves. This is the one I own and the first thing I ever knitted. I purposely made it shorter so it would be easier to deal with.
View attachment 184572

I also made this about a year and a half ago. The sonic is just the pen version, obviously. I made the psychic paper out of a day planner and a three ring binder. First thing I ever made on my sewing machine. Until I moved out of my old apartment, I kept my key card inside behind the white slip. It was kinda fun to come home.
psychic paper and sonic.JPG

Oh and I was also the Tenth Doctor for Halloween last year. Made the brown suit from the ground up. But since that doesn't really qualify as a "prop", I'll refrain from a picture.

I decided with all the keys in here that I would throw mine into the mix. I had been wanted to do this for a while and finally had the time today. I do detail why I made some choices and who I feel I left off the list in the "Yale and ERA Tardis Key Research (Info for the 1963-present keys)" thread, but basically I wanted to show the screen accurate replica keys. I have other keys which aren't screen accurate or even duplicates, but this was something I had wanted to make like I said so here it is.

Historyofkeys-labled-reordered-medium_zpsa47844ff.jpg

As I get ready for the Steampunk World's Fair and being dressed up as the 8th Doctor for a day I find myself traipsing back to this thread and others to get properly in the mood. Thanks gang! For those that will be in New Jersey (where robot dogs are all the rage) for Steampunk this weekend be sure to ask me for a Jelly Baby when you see me.

So this is kind of an odd... thing... but has anyone ever cast any jelly babies? Resin copies?
I want to do an entire room full of props and costume bits from each Doctor and it wouldn't be complete unless I had a little bag of jelly babies. I'd rather not leave candy around (ants, they could melt, etc.) and was wondering if anyone has ever done it?

If you leave Bassett's Jelly Babies out of their packaging, they eventually go rock hard.

And I believe that toy influenced the TV show. The toy needed to be bigger to accomodate the batteries. The show prop makers liked the size of the bigger one and they changed it for Series 2

And I believe that toy influenced the TV show. The toy needed to be bigger to accomodate the batteries. The show prop makers liked the size of the bigger one and they changed it for Series 2

Which toy would that be? Sorry, I cannot tell which post you're replying too.

Hope you're not talking about the 9th/10th Doctors sonic because that myth that they used anything for the hero prop from the toys has been busted years ago. Very rarely did they use the toy as a stand-in. The size of the sonic screwdriver prop itself though was the same as it was during series 1 as it was throughout the rest of its use.

The size of the sonic screwdriver prop itself though was the same as it was during series 1 as it was throughout the rest of its use.

Here is where I got mine, and there is the note at the bottom about the change in size. And there is a noticeable difference in size between the 9th and 10th Doctors.

tumblr_mcttjjl9EA1r3mjw1o1_1280.jpg

dr10_1.jpg

Here is where I got mine, and there is the note at the bottom about the change in size. And there is a noticeable difference in size between the 9th and 10th Doctors.

View attachment 186594

View attachment 186595

You're seeing lens distortion in that pic, bro.

The info regarding the 9/10 sonic screwdrivers is pretty well set in stone at this point, and Straker is correct. To my knowledge, there are 8 known versions of the hero prop, most of which are just repaints and/or rebuilds with mix and match parts from the other versions.

The only known use of the "toy" on screen is the rare pyro stunt prop (and not even all of those). Even for that, they used a casting of the prototype for the toy, which is far closer to the prop's dimensions than the commercially available CO toy.

If you have new info to bring to the table, though, I'm sure we're ALL eager to know what you know. (y)cool

CO sonics with the MFX sonic, which aside from various problems still was approximately the correct size. MFX used a David Tennant sonic as reference, and as you can see its not nearly as large as the CO toy.

It's just a rumour, badly kept in circulation.

IMG_1501.jpgIMG_1507.jpg

This is my first real contribution to this thread. I'm going to start working on a series of props for each Doctor.
I hadn't seen this one before so I gave it a shot. It's a very early attempt but I thought it turned out alright.
And it's NOT a double exposure!
DoubleExposure_zps0d9488be.jpg

It's undersized but it's based on the best screen grab I could get. I'll have a small lightbox to go with it on my shelf.

That's pretty cool, what do you think you'll be doing for the others? It's be nice to do something a little less obvious for each one like you've done there for 8.

Thanks!
I've found 10 & 11 really have a lot of iconic props so I want to even things out with some memorable and unique items from the other Doctors. I don't want to go too obscure because I just don't find that very fun. I also don't want to go too "every day" with some of the one-off things they pulled from the shelves at the BBC prop department like the 4th Dcotor's magnifying glass or something. Those things are fine and all and certainly a challenge on their own, but I don't find them particularly interesting.

For the First Doctor, I'm going to do the Tardis "Out of Order' sign from "the War Machines." I'll also put this on my Tardis at conventions when I don't want people going inside. This little bit always stood out to me and I like it. It's a very simple little white sign.
I'm going to build the Second Doctor's Psychic Container from "War Games" to go along with my Corsair and Time Lord CO toys. I'm going to re-watch the episode soon but I recall it being sort of a cream color (though it was black and white so it may have been orange for all I know).
I'd like to do a set of car keys for Bessie, as well as the 'WHO 1" license plate. I'm not sure if Bessie even took a key and I'm still working on a way to make it accurate to the vehicle used on screen and still recognizable as a Who prop.
I've never seen the Master's tomb / prison box from the TV movie done before. I've wanted to give that a try for a while.

The two Doctors that are giving me problems are the 6th and 9th. 6 has his umbrella and cat pins, but that's kind of whimpy. Also 9 only has his sonic and psychic paper, which aren't really that unique to him. I thought about supplementing the 9th Doctor props with the Vortex Manipulator and Sonic Blaster, but since River used those it blends with 10 and 11. There's the anti-plastic and maybe an auton hand for 9. Or a gas mask (though using a WWII gas mask is impossible due to the asbestos).
6 still has me stumped. And I... eesh, I really don't want to re-watch a lot of those episodes for ideas. I might look to see if the Rani had some neat gadgets or something. Maybe a fetal Tyrannosaurus in a jar.

I'll probably make a thread or post in the prop discussion thread about all of this soon. I have a fairly long list of props I'm going to be working on for a long time but I want some pictures of finished props to go along with it.

Last edited:

Thanks!
I've found 10 & 11 really have a lot of iconic props so I want to even things out with some memorable and unique items from the other Doctors. I don't want to go too obscure because I just don't find that very fun. I also don't want to go too "every day" with some of the one-off things they pulled from the shelves at the BBC prop department like the 4th Dcotor's magnifying glass or something. Those things are fine and all and certainly a challenge on their own, but I don't find them particularly interesting.

For the First Doctor, I'm going to do the Tardis "Out of Order' sign from "the War Machines." I'll also put this on my Tardis at conventions when I don't want people going inside. This little bit always stood out to me and I like it. It's a very simple little white sign.
I'm going to build the Second Doctor's Psychic Container from "War Games" to go along with my Corsair and Time Lord CO toys. I'm going to re-watch the episode soon but I recall it being sort of a cream color (though it was black and white so it may have been orange for all I know).
I'd like to do a set of car keys for Bessie, as well as the 'WHO 1" license plate. I'm not sure if Bessie even took a key and I'm still working on a way to make it accurate to the vehicle used on screen and still recognizable as a Who prop.
I've never seen the Master's tomb / prison box from the TV movie done before. I've wanted to give that a try for a while.

The two Doctors that are giving me problems are the 6th and 9th. 6 has his umbrella and cat pins, but that's kind of whimpy. Also 9 only has his sonic and psychic paper, which aren't really that unique to him. I thought about supplementing the 9th Doctor props with the Vortex Manipulator and Sonic Blaster, but since River used those it blends with 10 and 11. There's the anti-plastic and maybe an auton hand for 9. Or a gas mask (though using a WWII gas mask is impossible due to the asbestos).
6 still has me stumped. And I... eesh, I really don't want to re-watch a lot of those episodes for ideas. I might look to see if the Rani had some neat gadgets or something. Maybe a fetal Tyrannosaurus in a jar.

I'll probably make a thread or post in the prop discussion thread about all of this soon. I have a fairly long list of props I'm going to be working on for a long time but I want some pictures of finished props to go along with it.

The Psychic Message Box in the War Games looked plain white on screen. It was six individual squares of card or plastic, which formed a cube.

Yes, WW2 UK gas masks contained Asbestos and should NEVER be worn! Neill Gorton custom-made some replicas. It should be easy enough to create a master using oil-based clay on a dummy head and then make a mould for latex casting. The eye pieces were pilfered from Russian gas masks (easily obtainable on eBay). The front piece was made from a tin can (I think) or similar. The straps can probably be pilfered from a modern day gas mask

It should be easy enough to create a master using oil-based clay on a dummy head and then make a mould for latex casting.
I still haven't taken the leap into making molds and casting just yet. I imagine once I finally learn how I'll be up to my eyeballs in props.

Since January I've watched nearly all classic episodes of Doctor Who (except for a few here and there and around 25 serials that only exist in audio form) so some things are fresh and some are blurry. Supposedly the Name of the Doctor was the 800th individual episode of Who, and I've watched at least 700 of them in five months. Most of them twice.
Thought I admit some I had to watch in 1.4x speed just to power through them (I found any episode with Mel to be insufferable and a lot of the 5th Doctor to be dull as dirt) but I got the gist.

My x-ray is taken from a screen shot from the 8th Doctor tv movie. It's about 8" tall x 8.25" wide so considerably smaller than a real xray. It's this size because it's the widest I'm able to print with the tools I have while maintaining the aspect ratio of the original image (I could stretch it to fill a whole page or I could crop the sides... but I'd rather have a small one than a deformed one).
It was simply printed on a sheet of transparency with a laser printer. I ran it through twice to make the dark colors look darker.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back