Show your Dr. Who props!

Re: Show your Dr. Who props!

I still haven't taken the leap into making molds and casting just yet. I imagine once I finally learn how I'll be up to my eyeballs in props.

Since January I've watched nearly all classic episodes of Doctor Who (except for a few here and there and around 25 serials that only exist in audio form) so some things are fresh and some are blurry. Supposedly the Name of the Doctor was the 800th individual episode of Who, and I've watched at least 700 of them in five months. Most of them twice.
Thought I admit some I had to watch in 1.4x speed just to power through them (I found any episode with Mel to be insufferable and a lot of the 5th Doctor to be dull as dirt) but I got the gist.

My x-ray is taken from a screen shot from the 8th Doctor tv movie. It's about 8" tall x 8.25" wide so considerably smaller than a real xray. It's this size because it's the widest I'm able to print with the tools I have while maintaining the aspect ratio of the original image (I could stretch it to fill a whole page or I could crop the sides... but I'd rather have a small one than a deformed one).
It was simply printed on a sheet of transparency with a laser printer. I ran it through twice to make the dark colors look darker.

I have some propmaking on hold; the 7th Dr's money bug (Battlefield), his digital pocket watch (Silver Nemesis), and his embossed calling card (Remembrance of the Daleks). I have the parts but not the will-power and patience.

Try the sonic lance for the sixth doctor or the Tracer from the mark of the raani he had.
And for 9, try anything from the gun from Dalek to the binoculars from empty child, he's got some stuff

And I always thought the sonic lance kind of looked like a home pregnancy test. I'm not much of a fan of that prop.

Doctor Octoroc is offering the alternate 8th Sonic Screwdriver kits in the JY now. I have mixed feelings about its overall design and there are certainly questions whether it's canon or not (very likely is not) but I still want one. Badly. So I've ordered one.
Here's a link to the FS thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/affordable-doctor-who-props-get-them-now-185663/
And an image of his prototype (this is NOT my sonic)
942976_10151576127515772_1296555576_n.jpg

I seem to have had a rather interesting run of luck with props recently. I just and I do mean JUST scored a working set of electronics for a Casio AE-21W Twin Graph for my 7th Doctor watch for like $60 bucks on eBay. Very nice find.

And here it is:

5a19v4.jpg

I was damned lucky. This is a picture from the auction so I'll have to wait for it to arrive so I can start fitting the watch out but it's the hardest part of the 7th Doctor watch build. I still plan to use a modern Casio to make a variation but now I at least will have a replica of the original.

Good find! Those things are very rare these days. I got lucky as I was wearing mine when Silver Nemesis premiered here in the US. Thankfully it still works.

Can't remotely afford the CT/MFX sonics, so I had to make the best out of the CO one.

Just added a new button to the slider. Nothing new here.
e8ac1be6c03211e2952e22000a9f3cf3_7.jpg

Gonna have to paint it eventually...

I bought a couple of those from possibly the same eBay seller. I also bought a blank 11th Dr journal and an illustrated Professor River Song journal.

Yeah it was from the same person that sells the diaries, I'd like the illustrated one eventually. Not in the budget at the moment.

This morning I was very happy to pick up a prop that I had in the works for a year. I had been working with a jeweler - who was recommended to me by another jeweler friend - on a First Doctor ring. Some time ago I had gotten the finished version but I found there were some things that needed adjustments so she went ahead and remade the whole thing from scratch! That was very kind of her. When I picked it up today I was very please with it.

The stone is actually a beautiful dark blue, in some light it can appear to be very dark almost black and in others the blue is as plain as day. It's depends on how you hold it too. But mostly it is just a very nice dark blue stone. The pic on the top left here had a lot of light shining on it which is why it appears to be BLUE in your face, but the rest show it in a much truer light. The ring itself is silver.

ring2-PB_zpsbdcc037b.jpg

And one of it at home in my collection.

ring1-PB_zpsc6c36ad0.jpg

This morning I was very happy to pick up a prop that I had in the works for a year. I had been working with a jeweler - who was recommended to me by another jeweler friend - on a First Doctor ring. Some time ago I had gotten the finished version but I found there were some things that needed adjustments so she went ahead and remade the whole thing from scratch! That was very kind of her. When I picked it up today I was very please with it.

The stone is actually a beautiful dark blue, in some light it can appear to be very dark almost black and in others the blue is as plain as day. It's depends on how you hold it too. But mostly it is just a very nice dark blue stone. The pic on the top left here had a lot of light shining on it which is why it appears to be BLUE in your face, but the rest show it in a much truer light. The ring itself is silver.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w128/terrasolo/ring2-PB_zpsbdcc037b.jpg

And one of it at home in my collection.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w128/terrasolo/ring1-PB_zpsc6c36ad0.jpg

Terrasolo, how did you make the library card? Was it a custom-made image? Was it a screenshot? Was it a scan from a book or magazine?

I have been meaning to make my own.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I still keep looking at it, can't believe it is finally done.

Terrasolo, how did you make the library card? Was it a custom-made image? Was it a screenshot? Was it a scan from a book or magazine?

I have been meaning to make my own.

There was an RPF member had recreated the files for us to print in the paper props section, I'd saved the files a while ago so I can't recall who it was but you should still be able to find the Doctor Who thread in there.

What I did was make the card a tad smaller in photoshop as my first printing attempt seemed a bit too big to me. May not be but it just felt that way to me. After that I printed the library card on a nice textured, aged looking paper, which I then backed with a harder card stock to make it thicker. I should note that I printed his white version so that I didn't change the color of my already colored paper. I then printed the picture of Hartnell on photo paper, put a few scratches on it and tore the corner before sticking it into the library card stock.

The final touch was repurposing my original psychic paper wallet for this project. The wallet isn't screen accurate of course - as I need the window to be much smaller - but it seems like it's the right overall size to me and looks the part until I can find a better match with a smaller window or mod this one. The real wallet itself is a bit of an odd one actually with that small window with such a large frame. I suspect they made it specially for this prop as they needed a wallet to look similar to the psychic paper.

EDIT: The RPF member who created the card files was Angelus Lupus and you can find them here:

http://www.therpf.com/f40/doctor-who-67658/index3.html#post1215459

Last edited:

This is my first real contribution to this thread. I'm going to start working on a series of props for each Doctor.
I hadn't seen this one before so I gave it a shot. It's a very early attempt but I thought it turned out alright.
And it's NOT a double exposure!
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/DoubleExposure_zps0d9488be.jpg
It's undersized but it's based on the best screen grab I could get. I'll have a small lightbox to go with it on my shelf.

This is a pretty sweet prop! I'd been wanting to get the Master's urn and box as well. It's a great piece.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I still keep looking at it, can't believe it is finally done.

There was an RPF member had recreated the files for us to print in the paper props section, I'd saved the files a while ago so I can't recall who it was but you should still be able to find the Doctor Who thread in there.

What I did was make the card a tad smaller in photoshop as my first printing attempt seemed a bit too big to me. May not be but it just felt that way to me. After that I printed the library card on a nice textured, aged looking paper, which I then backed with a harder card stock to make it thicker. I should note that I printed his white version so that I didn't change the color of my already colored paper. I then printed the picture of Hartnell on photo paper, put a few scratches on it and tore the corner before sticking it into the library card stock.

The final touch was repurposing my original psychic paper wallet for this project. The wallet isn't screen accurate of course - as I need the window to be much smaller - but it seems like it's the right overall size to me and looks the part until I can find a better match with a smaller window or mod this one. The real wallet itself is a bit of an odd one actually with that small window with such a large frame. I suspect they made it specially for this prop as they needed a wallet to look similar to the psychic paper.

EDIT: The RPF member who created the card files was Angelus Lupus and you can find them here:

http://www.therpf.com/f40/doctor-who-67658/index3.html#post1215459

Thank you! I started to make my own using MS Publisher and MS Office photo editor and Paint, but did not finish.

When I saw his files I was very impressed and happy that I didn't need to worry about making one myself. So yeah, very helpful files to have and a big thank you to Angelus Lupus.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back