Millennium FX Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My boyfriend is a Doctor Who Fanatic and I want to get him one of these for his birthday.

Anyone know where I can get one of these MFX Sonic Screwdrivers? Or anyone know of anyone willing to sell?

I'm going to check out the post from junkyard but that one might have already sold... It was such a good deal.

Thank you!

Then let's comment on the color in a QMx sonic thread instead of bringing this one back every few weeks.

Bah. QMX tried the season 3-4 sonic before and although it was more accurate than MFX's...it lacked attention to detail and was designed to be cheaply made and sold. I like CT's because the progress is documented and assured of accuracy. Having it licensed really doesn't mean I'll be impressed. Look at the Wow!stuff sonic...apparantly a 1:1 'replica'
*cough* BOLLOCKS *splutter*
I really don't see your quarrel with CT...

And what a thread to necro! If only I had known how passionate people were I would have kept my nose out of it. :lol

Sock_Puppet.gif

your not going to get a more accurate screwdriver than the MFX one. Theirs was reverse engineered from the original prop so there was no guess work making in 100% accurate. That goes for the sound too, the real one didnt have sound so neither does the MFX one.

Also, its nice to have its heritage considering Milliennim Fx do the characters for Dr Who

No, the slider and paint was completely off.
So was the emitter, the head was diecast and was supposed to be CNC'd.
The end cap was off, the jaws were too blunt.
You don't notice detail until you've placed it beside the real thing.

No, the slider and paint was completely off.
So was the emitter, the head was diecast and was supposed to be CNC'd.
The end cap was off, the jaws were too blunt.
You don't notice detail until you've placed it beside the real thing.

The emitter head was not die-cast. It was cnc'd. However, after it was machined, it went through a de-burring process that left a sort of velvet texture to the metal that has lead some people to incorrectly think that is was cast. But I can assure you this was not the case.

The emitter head was not die-cast. It was cnc'd. However, after it was machined, it went through a de-burring process that left a sort of velvet texture to the metal that has lead some people to incorrectly think that is was cast. But I can assure you this was not the case.

that wasnt it, it was the bar in the center which couldn't possibly be there and perfectly round if it was CNC'd, it'd have to be diecast.
the original prop had a screwball the went into it, which MFX failed to have.

that wasnt it, it was the bar in the center which couldn't possibly be there and perfectly round if it was CNC'd, it'd have to be diecast.
the original prop had a screwball the went into it, which MFX failed to have.

I have no idea what you're talking about. But the MFX was not die-cast It was machined. I have a MFX emitter that did not go through the de-burring process and the machining is as clear as day. Also, the emitters were made at Russel Brown's father's shop. And he doesn't have the ability to do die-casting. It's a machine shop, friend. Not a foundry. Don't believe everything you read.

Dan

Fettester - If the MFX sonic was reversed engineered, how come the ridges are wrong at the end of the main crackle body? We have seen pictures on a previous thread from RubberToe, who looked after & still (I believe) has the prop that they were completely different in shape. There is also a close-up of the paint. The colour is there for all to see. I can't comment on the head, only to say that when I had mine the colour was very different. If it wasn't cast but polished, or whatever, why wasn't the rest of the body metal bits treated the same to give a consistant look?

I'm not denying that MFx didn't have access to the original prop, but somewhere down the line thing were changed, so it doesn't make it 100% SA. Big mystery is why the changes were made? Shame really.

Last edited:
Fettester - If the MFX sonic was reversed engineered, how come the ridges are wrong at the end of the main crackle body? We have seen pictures on a previous thread from RubberToe, who looked after & still (I believe) has the prop that they were completely different in shape. There is also a close-up of the paint. The colour is there for all to see. I can't comment on the head, only to say that when I had mine the colour was very different. If it wasn't cast but polished, or whatever, why wasn't the rest of the body metal bits treated the same to give a consistant look?

I'm not denying that MFx didn't have access to the original prop, but somewhere down the line thing were changed, so it doesn't make it 100% SA. Big mystery is why the changes were made? Shame really.

It's quite simple really, the BBC didn't want to give away the true screen accurate measurements in case someone else replicated it for cheaper. So, they forced Neil Gorton to change the design in a way that made it look like it wasn't changed at all.

This is back again :lol.

This is the one they copied, suprise!!!! the rings don't look like they have melted :lol. If you have an MFX compair the rides against the one ion this photo and you will notice they are slightly cleaner but shaped and spaced correctly (they are just grooves with the edges rounded). The head was very obviously machined on these, the whole cast thing is just ridiculousness.

Man this one got Necroed from a while back :)

10717-tennetsonic.jpg

Last edited:
So there were 4 versions of the prop? These ridges are confusing!?! Aztec, this, the one Rubbertoe showed us with the cone type ridges & the spare one of that (last seen painted blue for 11th hour)? Hang on 5! 'cos there was the non slider Aztec. Anyway regardles of the no of props 3 different ridges?

Last edited:
Seriously, guys?!? A line has been drawn in the sand. People have picked which side they're going to stand on, and NO ONE is going to be convinced to cross the line. Further discussion on this topic is utterly futile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So there were 4 versions of the prop? These ridges are confusing!?! Aztec, this, the one Rubbertoe showed us with the cone type ridges & the spare one of that (last seen painted blue for 1(h hour)? Hang on 5! 'cos there was the non slider Aztec. *nyway regardles of the no of props 3 different ridges?

2 Aztec's, The Wide Slider, The Cordroy, and 2 Robatto's.

"I have detailed files." :cool :thumbsup

So there were 4 versions of the prop? These ridges are confusing!?! Aztec, this, the one Rubbertoe showed us with the cone type ridges & the spare one of that (last seen painted blue for 1(h hour)? Hang on 5! 'cos there was the non slider Aztec. *nyway regardles of the no of props 3 different ridges?

The ridge cut looks like it was hand done with a file or sandpaper to round the edges. All you need to do for proof is look at all of the sonics photos. The ridges are usually not exactly the same from prop to prop ( or even exactly on the same prop). I think it is what gives each of the different props used on the show a bit of character.

There is no way to make one copy that matches all of the Sonics that were used on screen, you have to pick one out you like and copy that one as close as possible or combine the details from all of the different sonics you like.

Seriously, guys?!? A line has been drawn in the sand. People have picked which side they're going to stand on, and NO ONE is going to be convinced to cross the line. Further discussion on this topic is utterly futile.

As scary as this may sound, but, I’m with jedibugs on this,100% :eek this whole 10th Dr sonic debate the design to the death your wrong I know more than you, he makes the only most screen accurate thing just keeps moving from one thread to another and it all start all over again, with the same issues just repeated again.

When a newbie starts adding to and old thread just to start it of again, tell them, that it has been debited to the death and to use the search function to research why we don’t need to repeat the same issue over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back