Anyone looked into replicating Metro 2033 game items?

holtt

This game has some wonderfully "rough" items the player can use, and I'm wondering if anyone has dug into the designs at all. There is definitely a lot of potential I'd think, especially given the rough and relatively handmade look of things.

For example the player has a small hand charger for charging up their flashlight as well as a railgun. See Universal Charger - Metro Wiki - Locations, Mutants, Characters, Metro System, Achievements, and more! for a good picture.

Right now I'm interested in creating a Volt Driver gun replica (Volt Driver - Metro Wiki - Locations, Mutants, Characters, Metro System, Achievements, and more!) which incorporates elements of the charger above.

Anyway, just wanted to toss out the post to see if anyone else has been looking into this game's assets.

I thought I'd start with that little motor/dynamo for the charger. Here's the label that's on it, inverted with a bit more contrast to read it better...

motor_label.png

One of the phrases is "двигатель Универсальный" which translates as "Universal Motor", and then "мун-2", which would be "Moon-2". Also it looks like it's 220 volts and 2200 RPM.

Here's actually a motor that matches the name, but doesn't seem to match so much visually with what's in the game...

http://www.avito.ru/novosibirsk/oborudovanie_dlya_biznesa/universalnyj_aelektro_dvigatel_mun-2_49850627

BINGO! Here's the exact same motor!

74308553_1_644x461_prodam-elektromotor-mun-2-odessa.jpg

Looks like it was made for sewing machines, meaning it would indeed be rather small like the one in the game.

And it's actually for sale on a Ukranian ebay/craiglist like website. I sense an international purchase...

So I've found this motor now on a couple of sites in Russia. Time to get brave and email one of them cold and see if a) they can handle English, and b) they don't charge me a million bucks to ship.

Any Eastern European/former CCCP/Russian makers here who might help?

PS
Some day someone else wanting to make the Dynamo or Rail Gun prop is gonna thank me for this thread... ;)

Another estimate of the actual gun size based on an average human forearm dimension of 15"...

volt_driver_scale_estimate_from_human_dimensions_copy.png

Estimating that the gun is 3x the length of the character's forearm, and a 15" forearm, that makes the total gun length 45". Which is very close to the 44" length derived from in-game units of the model. Googleing average male forearm length shows 13" to 16", so perhaps if "Miller" is rather small, it really could be 39" (13x3, 1 meter) in length.

I've done a full scale printout of the drawings at the 44" it is just huge looking. However, at 44", the 15mm ball bearing ammo the gun uses comes out at approximately 15mm in size.

alright even though I am entirely new to prop making in general I am attempting to make the bast. gun as it doesn't look to be to hard to make and it would go well with a costume I am working on piecing together. Any help would be greatly appreciated preferably images usable for scaling (I looked on google and couldn't find any good ones) [also seen your work on the volt. gun, really nice]

I'm really glad you started this thread, holtt, my buddy and I are working on putting together a couple of outfits with gear and stuff so we could pass for Metro Dwellers.

We've been identifying items in the game and bookmarking them for reference, so I thought I might post some of the stuff up here.

Surprisingly, nearly all the items in game are actual real world things you can find, there's very little stuff fabricated whole cloth for the game, the research must have been very intensive.

The helmets with visors in game are actually K6-3 helmets, can be very expensive, we're thinking about modifying a cheapie airsoft SWAT helmet and adding the shield.
screenlg3.jpg

k63003rpro.jpg

The throwing knives seem to be based off of Gil Hibben throwing knives, which can be purchased lots of places online, and there's some sort of tape wrapped around the handles, for grip/holding on a small rectangle of metal as well.
Metro2033_2013-01-14_19-09-12-20.png

uc-454.jpg

We're planning on making replica copies of the knives out of styrene, using real ones as a template, and then wrapping them in strips of turquoise duct tape, like this:
s0547759_sc7

We're also planning on fabricating some MOLLE type vest like they wear in game.
Heavy_armor1.jpg

It seems similar to vests like these:
Vest_MTS_LBV_O_lg.jpg

But we're gonna make them out of canvas or duck cloth and add punch grommets or rivets to webbing to make them more accurate.

I also tracked down this very hi-res image of a Moscow Metro Map, which I'm thinking about having printed out poster size, and then folding it up and aging it, adding scribbles and notations to it based off of the in game map: http://www.jmos.ru/maps/moscow_metro.jpg

I have more, but I'll leave it for another post, as there really is quite a lot of it.

Иметь хороший день!

превосходный! Great stuff! I haven't quite gone down the rabbit hole of costumes, but trust me it's got me curious. Most of my work has been on making a Volt Driver prop, which I've been slowly documenting at http://www.therpf.com/f9/metro-2033-volt-driver-research-build-journal-167421/ I have thought if I do start on a costume it would be the stealth one - fits my play style, plus looks easier to make :)

In your post, you said...
Surprisingly, nearly all the items in game are actual real world things you can find, there's very little stuff fabricated whole cloth for the game, the research must have been very intensive.

I really agree with this. When I found a picture of the manufacturers plaque of a real motor that looked identical to the one in on the charger motor, I was impressed that they'd gone that far, and assume the artists must have had a real motor in hand (or a good picture) to get the replica done.

I ran into another bit of realism when trying to identify a mystery part on the Volt Driver/Generator. It's pretty small, but was distinctive enough (and kind of familiar) that I thought it must be based on something real. Here's the part on the game model...

27JKq.png

It ends up that this is a Thyristor - a transistor designed to work with high voltages - exactly what you'd expect on the Volt Driver. And doing some eBay searching, ("russian thyristor") I found four of these for about $6 with shipping...

thyristor+KU201L+1.JPG

Like the motor, I was really impressed they actually modeled it after something real. And interestingly enough something that would make sense given how the Volt Drive is supposed to work.

Here's a picture of my fake prop motor by the way - was pretty happy with the look it has...

photo%2B%25282%2529.JPG

I seriously considered buying the real motor, but I believe that it is actually larger than the in-game representation, so wouldn't actually work. That and the only one I could find I knew to be the same was about $70.

So something else I've been looking into is the watch. I found this thread the other day that indicates what kind it is (or at least based on) Video Game Watches? What Watches are these?.

According to that thread, it is based on a Vostok Komandirskie, though not necessarily identical to any real one. I've seen them on eBay and have thought of working up a watch prop, adding 3 little LEDs (green, yellow, red) for the detector circuit. I think I could drive them to light up based on how bright it was (light=red, dark=green, yellow in between) to simulate the "detected" system.

Yes, I love your thread on the Volt Driver, it's absolutely fantastic, it's actually one of the things that really got our rears into gear to work on stuff from the game!

And that motor is absolutely fantastic, is it the same size as the one on the generator? If so, you could make castings and do a whole slew of them, and I know we'd definitely be in a for a couple.

Also, on the watch, for the French and German Special Editions of the game, you got a replica of Artyom's Watch, although sadly without the LEDs, and they're really hard to come by:
2011-04-22_00002.jpg

42082_artyomswatchgermancollectorsedition.jpg

Also, here's some more identified real world items from the game:

The Map Bag a number of characters in game use, including Artyom, is a leather Russian officer's bag, there's a bunch of them on ebay, and can be found through some military surplus sites:
JPNOHN4h.jpg

xwwSblrh.jpg

plansh2.jpg

Another thing from the in game world is "Bytan" Camouflage BDUs, also known as Ukrainian camo, is used by Russia and the Ukraine in real life, you can find these lots of places online. Seen here being sold by a vendor in game, along with other BDUs:
HjiYrHuh.jpg

r36a.jpg

Characters can also be seen wearing green commando sweaters, which are sold all over the place online:
iDfzqKZh.jpg

getDynamicImage.aspx

A number of characters can also be seen wearing these distinctive blue sneakers with white stripes, and upon close inspection, the toes of them have the same style of ridging as PF Flyers. Now I'm sure that these are some actual Eastern European sneakers I haven't been able to locate yet, but it'd be fairly easy to modify a pair of blue PF Flyers to look nearly identical:
Cx1H9Wuh.jpg

pf-flyers-pm11ch3c-center-hi-re-issue-classic-slate-blue-main.jpg

My buddy also happened to stumble across a pistol that's a very close match to the one used in game, he's already purchased it and is planning on adding the silencer and possibly the shoulder stock as well to make it more recognizable:
Pistol1.png

gp-uhc-138b.jpg

Evike.com Airsoft Guns - Airsoft Guns | Evike.com Airsoft Guns - Gas Airsoft Pistols | Evike.com Airsoft Guns - UHC / TSD | Evike.com Airsoft Guns - UHC / TSD Heavy Weight 4" Airsoft Gas Revolver - Black / Rose Wood |

I have more found items to share, but I'll save them for another post, along with more things I find during my research. I hope some of you folks might be able to put these things to good use!

Last edited:
Great collection of resources you've been getting together! I like the leather map bag - though ironically what you want is an old beat up one, not all new and shiny! Maybe buy it and drag it around in the dirt for a while :)

And that motor is absolutely fantastic, is it the same size as the one on the generator? If so, you could make castings and do a whole slew of them, and I know we'd definitely be in a for a couple.

I've never done casting, but it wasn't that hard to make it, and I think using real metal for the main body (very large metal conduit section) gives it a sort of authenticity you just can't beat.

I've definitely thought of making a separate charger complete with the meter, etc. The one piece I haven't yet "found" is the section you squeeze to run the charger. It looks a lot like something from a caulking gun or some other kind of grip like that.

I think what I'm going to do is place a switch in the grip, and when squeezed, it will activate a small motor perhaps acutally inside the fake motor that can spin the gears. I'll need that switch anyway to trigger the Arduino circuit to add one charge to the gun and up the charge meter, so it might not be that hard to just add a little motor that pulses quickly to spin the gears.

When I do get to more on the charger I'll post more pictures, and certainly share as much build info as I can.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back