Replicating the look of anodized aluminum via airbrushing on plastic parts

DalekNim

Can anyone explain to me the general technique(s) for doing this? I’m building a replica of Vera from Firefly and I know from my research that the gunsmith who built it used anodized aluminum for all the unique manufactured parts. I’ve been told one technique is to start with a base coat of silver and then use a gloss clear coat and add just the tiniest bit of the color you are trying to recreate as a ‘tint’ and then airbrush that over the silver base - experimenting until your get the color you are looking for.

Is this correct and if so are there any nuisances to doing this as well as any of techniques for creating this effect?

I have used Alclad paints to to make an anodized aluminum look with pretty good success. The surface prep is the key to success.
The surface wants to be as smooth as possible. If there are pits and scratches on there before spraying the silver, they will become glaringly obvious once the silver goes on.
Also, be sparing with the silver. Use just enough to color the part. Avoid the desire to hose it on heavy and wet.

After spraying on Alclad's chrome, I used their clear colors to get the look that production wanted for the last Matrix film.

P0.jpg

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

Thx! I haven’t found any clear colors that match the parts of the rifle which is why I was told to experiment with tinting clear gloss until I got the correct colors.

Thx! I haven’t found any clear colors that match the parts of the rifle which is why I was told to experiment with tinting clear gloss until I got the correct colors.
You can mix the clear colors to create other tints. Also, how much clear color you spray on can change the color. For example: The blue color for the Matrix pills looked teal when a light coat is sprayed, or purple when a heavy coat is sprayed on. The blue was the Goldilocks amount.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back