Information of Superman Man of Steel fabric

mglover92

Does anyone have any idea what fabric was used for the costume. Do you think it was custom made? :(

Heres a reference picture. I'm new to this so bare with me:)

k00ai8.jpg

This is just a wild guess from me, but from your picture, the suit looks like it may be made out of rubber. Or it may be spandex impregnated with rubber. That's what I think it may be made from.

This is just a wild guess from me, but from your picture, the suit looks like it may be made out of rubber. Or it may be spandex impregnated with rubber. That's what I think it may be made from.

Think I could contact the costume designer and ask the question? I probably wont get a reply..

The fabric is most likely a 4-way stretch lycra material that has then had the chainmail detail pattern screen printed on using High Density gloss poly inks with a stretch additive. The chest emblem was 3-d printed and then cast in a flexible rubber material. Yes, all of this was custom. You can't just buy a bolt of "Man of Steel" fabric and sew one together.

For a personal replica, one could get a dye-sublimation printed pattern that matches the look and stretch of the suit material and shows the chainmain pattern, and then hand-apply poly inks in a squeeze bottle to recreate the raised texture. There are several people working on or offering dye-sublimation patterns of the Man of Steel suit on this forum.

You could do what I am doing and get a 4 way stretch spandex and apply a stencil for the pattern. A good friend said I could make a mold of the small x's and lay a fabric paint down into it and lay the spandex over then take an iron to it. We'll see how it works out. Just keep browsing around here and I'm sure you'll get some great ideas! Everyone here is super (no pun intended) helpful and many people already have some great printed spandex with the design on it. You should be able to buy one from them.

Yep just be patient for now, you can find an upcoming emblem run and a really nice printed suit upcoming in the next week or so. Just look in the junkyard. It looks like I will be puff painting a pattern.

f anyone interested
The Superman suit is made up of separate layers. There’s an under-layer of sculpted detail mounted onto a bodysuit. Over the top of this we stretched a thin mesh over-suit that is printed with a dimensional chain-mail texture. Then, the final foam-latex elements are affixed – the ‘S’-glyph , the cuffs, the side-body details, etc.

We wanted to evoke a “man of steel” – so our metallic finish has an ambiguous quality, as though it’s an alien metal/armour unfamiliar to us on earth. We wanted our Superman to glow on screen, to create a texture that the camera loves, and make him stand apart from the human race.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back