6 Old West Costumes on a budget

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Each year, we put together a set of six costumes for as cheap as possible; for those who haven't seen my previous threads, here they are:

2009: Star Wars
2010: Lord of the Rings
2011: Batman
2012: Pirates of the Caribbean

This year's theme was "20th Century, Non fiction"... I thought we'd push the time barrier a little by going with "The End of the Old West" to make things interesting.

Unlike previous years, most of the costume pieces can be easily modified from everyday clothes. A few key pieces were missing, but the big thing we needed were hats. I had one generic wool hat that was semi-western, and I could borrow an Akurbra for one of the guys. I had a super-cheap sombrero from one of my kid's school projects and I found a couple of typical modern Stetson's for cheap on a local auction site. So, first to some hats:

One cheasy, bright red, silver trimmed sombrero:
sombrero1_zps26780c74.jpg

I removed all the silver stuff, and cut 1/2" off the brim (to make it a little less exaggerated). I painted (yes, painted) the hat with a mixture of avocado green acrylic (to dull the bright red) and dark brown wood stain (to darken the color). I added an old black ribbon I removed from an old fedora, a brown piece of cloth around the base of the ribbon and finally an old shoe string for the chin-tie. Using steam, I reshaped the crown to a more authentic shape. Lastly, I dusted the entire sombrero with baby powder for a sweat-stained appearance:

sombrero2_zpsb85b246d.jpg

Stetson #1 started like this:

277232044_zpsca1b02c2.jpg

One of our cowboys wanted a Tom Mix style crown, so I reshaped it to match using steam and added an off-white ribbon (not seen below, as I hadn't added it yet):

cowboyhat1_zps4415ea92.jpg

The other Stetson began it's life like this:

277232164_zps045055b6.jpg

I reshaped this one based on some images I found on-line, toned down the brim curl a bit and added another ribbon off an old fedora (this one genuinely faded and sweat-stained). After adding baby powder for a dustier look:

cowboyhat2_zpsf9839da5.jpg

After looking at this hat and wearing it several times over a few days, I decided it still looked to modern for my taste, so I completely reshaped the crown and flattened the brim for a more authentic period look:

cowboyhat3_zps116c8782.jpg

More to come...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Our first character is an Old West "preacher":

cowboy1_zpse2cd9617.jpg

His outfit is composed of a couple of overstock Magnoli Clothiers pieces, including a Van Cleef Vest and Holmes corduroy frock coat. In his vest pocket is one of my pocket watches, circa 1926. The hat is an unmodified Akubra Cattleman we borrowed. For a little extra fun, I made this old style "snake oil" bottle:

snakeoil_zps994ff07a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Next up is our Mexican:

cowboy5_zpsa52f2734.jpg

We borrowed a genuine Mexican poncho from a friend, leather chaps we got years ago in New Mexico, the gun belt is my Raiders model with Webley holster, and a cheasy multi-colored bullwhip I got as a free sample from my whip manufacturer.

Then we have our typical cowboy:

cowboy4_zps540db35b.jpg

The hat he's wearing is one I got years ago in New Mexico. To give it a bit more character, I braided a leather rope to go around it (first time I've done leather braiding like this, so I got out my David Morgan book and did a 4-plait rope braid):

plaiting_zpsb4fb4358.jpg

plaited_zpsdec3335a.jpg

The shirt and vest I've had for years, but the shirt came up a bit short on the sleeves, so it was a good excuse to make some leather bracers, which added some extra character to the outfit:

bracers_zps96d2e327.jpg

The leather chaps we borrowed from another friend and, although you can't see them, we even found someone to lend us a set of spurs.

The gunbelt was given to me years ago by my dad, and the gun is a Denix.

Next up a "Van Cleef" style gunslinger and his lovely lady:

cowboy2_zps8740865a.jpg

Here I'm wearing all of my own clothes, including a Magnoli Clothiers Flannery Shirt and genuine circa 1903 Hamilton pocket watch. The gunbelt and pistol are both Denix.

My wife is wearing a Gunne Sax dress we picked up on eBay many years ago with some costume jewelry we had sitting around. Her hair is all real and... believe it or not, I did it myself!

cowboy2-2_zps61398bdd.jpg

I don't do hair (except the occasional pig-tails for my daughters), but with a little help from YouTube, we were able to do a fairly accurate "Gibson Girl" style do.

- - - Updated - - -

Last up is RPFer Blaxmyth as a "gentleman rancher":

cowboy3_zpsf403d0f4.jpg

The frock coat is an overstock Magnoli Clothiers Davison Frock Coat (sans contrast trim), the vest is one I got from Western Warehouse a long time ago, and the standup celluloid collar and tie are pieces I got from my brother-in-laws wedding several years back. The gunbelt and gun borrowed from another friend. Cigar and beard are real. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

...the evening was a great success, with our team coming first in the quiz and winning best dressed team.

old-west1_zps48551d0e.jpg

old-west2_zpse30a4d6e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, we also used fuller's earth on the "typical cowboy's" vest and shirt (you can see some brown patches pretty clearly on his vest in the photo above... but the baby powder smells oh so nice. ;)

Great pictures and indeed good inspiration to have a go. The final pics in sepia do you all justice.

Thanks, we also used fuller's earth on the "typical cowboy's" vest and shirt (you can see some brown patches pretty clearly on his vest in the photo above... but the baby powder smells oh so nice. ;)
Fantastic, I love making from " WHAT YA' GOT " I put things together till it looks ok then stop..good enough..love western..Oh and don't forget ,Van Cleef goes CROSS DRAW

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back