Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Someone finally came out and made the statement. Not that we didn't really know, but all these formalities of secrecy get really old.

Yea, this has become the worst kept secret in Hollywood history. They might as well just announce it already.

Carrie Fisher is a pistol. I would love to go out for a few beers with her!

To be honest, Her, Mark and Harrison are the only thing that would get me into the theartre to see Episode VII. If there were not going to be a part of it, neither would I.

Carrie Fisher is a pistol. I would love to go out for a few beers with her!

To be honest, Her, Mark and Harrison are the only thing that would get me into the theartre to see Episode VII. If there were not going to be a part of it, neither would I.

To be honest though, I doubt many people on the production side care. These films are to generate NEW fans.

To be honest though, I doubt many people on the production side care. These films are to generate NEW fans.

I'd disagree since without the old fans disney wouldn't have bought it.

To put it in perspective, the prequels were too good, yet still made about 3 billion in ticket sales worldwide, probably more AND were good for a 1 billion dollar licensing before they were released. All that was on the backs of existing fans for the most part.

All total, 4 billion (ish). Disney paid 4 billion and is going to crank out a new trilogy 15 years after E1. Using the same analogy, they should recoup nearly all their money.

I doubt any estimations are factoring new fans. Just old. Selling them on the fact that any new fans that emerge is just icing on the cake. Besides, if they only cared about new fans, there'd be no Han, Luke, and Leia in 7. There'd be no point.

I'd disagree since without the old fans disney wouldn't have bought it.

To put it in perspective, the prequels were too good, yet still made about 3 billion in ticket sales worldwide, probably more AND were good for a 1 billion dollar licensing before they were released. All that was on the backs of existing fans for the most part.

All total, 4 billion (ish). Disney paid 4 billion and is going to crank out a new trilogy 15 years after E1. Using the same analogy, they should recoup nearly all their money.

I doubt any estimations are factoring new fans. Just old. Selling them on the fact that any new fans that emerge is just icing on the cake. Besides, if they only cared about new fans, there'd be no Han, Luke, and Leia in 7. There'd be no point.

I completely disagree. There are two groups of fans, my generation falls in to one, the group that wants the OT back the way it was and dislikes the prequels. More likely than not we're pretty "ho-hum" about the Clone Wars. This group of fans isn't where you're making your money on new films. You pay a bit of lip service to them but they're not your target market as there's no growth potential.

The second group is the young (born after 1990 let's say). More likely than not they've never seen the non-SE OT, they don't see what the problem is with Jar Jar, they prefer the PT because the effects are better, they love the Clone Wars and know all about Asoka (sp?) and their favourite character is likely Anakin or Captain Rex. THIS is your market, these are the ones you care about. Why? Because they're the ones you're most likely to be able to please and sell a boat load of crap to.

Long after my generation of fans is dead and gone this other generation will still be buying merch.

New fans are far from the icing on the cake, they ARE the cake.

Yea, this has become the worst kept secret in Hollywood history. They might as well just announce it already.

Really! We're moving into the seventh month since this was announced and still not an official word on anything...other than we're getting an Episode VII!:sleep

I completely disagree. There are two groups of fans, my generation falls in to one, the group that wants the OT back the way it was and dislikes the prequels. More likely than not we're pretty "ho-hum" about the Clone Wars. This group of fans isn't where you're making your money on new films. You pay a bit of lip service to them but they're not your target market as there's no growth potential.

The second group is the young (born after 1990 let's say). More likely than not they've never seen the non-SE OT, they don't see what the problem is with Jar Jar, they prefer the PT because the effects are better, they love the Clone Wars and know all about Asoka (sp?) and their favourite character is likely Anakin or Captain Rex. THIS is your market, these are the ones you care about. Why? Because they're the ones you're most likely to be able to please and sell a boat load of crap to.

Long after my generation of fans is dead and gone this other generation will still be buying merch.

I tend to agree with this, but I think Disney may also sense untapped potential from "old fans." This would explain the insistence on including the OT characters in the NT. I think the hope may be to seal the breach within the fandom moving forward, and make everyone fans of the NT (good luck with that...).

I also can see a market for OT-oriented merchandise, provided it's done effectively, although it's a far far smaller market than the PT/NT fans for most of the stuff I'd be interested in (new video games, new novels, comics, etc.). If Disney can effectively launch the NT, though, all that becomes a secondary consideration. They can move on from BOTH the OT AND the PT and simply sell new merchandise to everyone. You want a Jedi Master Skywalker ceramic bust? We got one for ya. You want a Millenium Falcon toy? We got that too. How about a video game starring the young jedi pupil [insert name here] where you train to become a master? We got that for you as well. And so on and so forth.

There's one other reason to include the OT fans in the NT -- they're at the age where a large portion of them are themselves parents. If you can appeal to them, they'll be far more inclined to share their fandom with their kids in ways that you can capitalize on. And after all, they've got the bucks.

33966595.jpg

True Solo, but let's be honest, the old fans are gonna go no matter what. It's like all the b****ing in the Star Trek thread, we're all gonna see the film. ;)

Oh, and I hate the word "fandom". Please refrain from using it in further posts. (j/k):lol

You guys are both right. The current market value of STAR WARS is in the fan base that includes my generation who were kids when the OT was released and the the PT generation that were kids when those films were released. My generation now has or is having kids. Disney will make a concentrated effort to ensure that people like me stay engaged in STAR WARS so that we can introduce our children to it with the same enthusiasm, take the kids to the theme parks, buy the merchandise for presents, you get the idea. Don't underestimate the impact the CLONE WARS had on bridging those generations already, I was a huge fan of the show and know many other fathers and mothers who watched it with their very young children. So there is even a very young CLONE WARS generation out there growing up. So you can't dismiss the OT characters quit yet. Yes they will be brought to pasture, but this first film can and should feature them because we still control the purse strings.

True Solo, but let's be honest, the old fans are gonna go no matter what. It's like all the b****ing in the Star Trek thread, we're all gonna see the film. ;)

Not if it looks craptastic, I won't. I skipped Indy IV, I'll skip this too if necessary. I'm not the junkie I once was and no longer believe that "more" = "better." The PT cured me of that.

You guys are both right. The current market value of STAR WARS is in the fan base that includes my generation who were kids when the OT was released and the the PT generation that were kids when those films were released. My generation now has or is having kids. Disney will make a concentrated effort to ensure that people like me stay engaged in STAR WARS so that we can introduce our children to it with the same enthusiasm, take the kids to the theme parks, buy the merchandise for presents, you get the idea. Don't underestimate the impact the CLONE WARS had on bridging those generations already, I was a huge fan of the show and know many other fathers and mothers who watched it with their very young children. So there is even a very young CLONE WARS generation out there growing up. So you can't dismiss the OT characters quit yet. Yes they will be brought to pasture, but this first film can and should feature them because we still control the purse strings.

Yep. From a marketing stand point, it's the smart thing to do. Not sure I'd agree with that from a storytelling stance, but for marketing purposes it's a no brainer.

Yep. From a marketing stand point, it's the smart thing to do. Not sure I'd agree with that from a storytelling stance, but for marketing purposes it's a no brainer.

I feel confidant it can be done in a very successful way, I have faith in Arndt and JJ, they know well enough the potential pitfalls of trying to pull out the old mare only to have her die in front of the kids at the pony ride. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back