Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Actually, there's something -- for all the discussion about bringing back Han, Luke, and Leia....has there been any mention of Kenny Baker and/or Anthony Daniels as 3PO?

^I haven't heard anything official but I can't imagine that they wouldn't be. Well, I could imagine but there's probably no need to...

I could see Kenny Baker not being involved, but it's hard to imagine 3PO's voice NOT being Daniels' voice, even if he isn't in the suit.

I could see Kenny Baker not being involved, but it's hard to imagine 3PO's voice NOT being Daniels' voice, even if he isn't in the suit.

Wasn't Kenny Baker pretty much out of the picture even during the prequels? I could be wrong but something's making me want to say that R2 was all remote control for the prequels. I agree with you about 3PO also; if it's not Anthony in the suit, it would have to be his voice. Though he seems to remain remarkably fit so it probably will be him in the suit as well...

And harking back to the "there were always nine episodes planned" thing, I remember many years ago in the same place I read GL's statement about nine episodes that the entire story was essentially told through the experience of R2 and 3PO. So if we can take any of that lore as truth, then I'd say yeah, the droids will most likely be there.

Kenny was over heard on set during the early prequels using racist/derogatory names for the local Tunisians.

He was then approached by Rick McC and informed his services would no longer be required. Hence very limited screen time in EpII and 100% digital/remote R2 in Ep III

Allegedly ;)

And I was told this by one of the second unit directors I was mates with years back.

Anthony D is on a $1 million retainer for services to LFL so I can't see him not being involved if the script demands it.

Kenny was over heard on set during the early prequels using racist/derogatory names for the local Tunisians.

He was then approached by Rick McC and informed his services would no longer be required. Hence very limited screen time in EpII and 100% digital/remote R2 in Ep III

Allegedly ;)

And I was told this by one of the second unit directors I was mates with years back.

Anthony D is on a $1 million retainer for services to LFL so I can't see him not being involved if the script demands it.

I never heard that about KB. Interesting...

That is interesting. Never heard that about Kenny Baker, IMDB has him credited in all 6 movies Kenny Baker (I) - Biography

I'm sure he got "honorary" credit as I too read he wasn't in Ep3 and only an in studio consultant for the most part in Ep 2.
Don Bies who was the lead operator of the RC Artoo says this:
"For Episode I, Kenny is in the film about 50%, while the remaining time is either me or the UK crew, and one digital shot. During Episode II, there were 14 digital shots of R2, one Kenny scene (shot bluescreen at Ealing Studios in London on my 40th birthday!) and the rest were me. Episode III had approximately 50% digital R2 and the rest were shots I did."

Here is a cool picture of him with two other guys that were his "understudies"
Kenny.jpg

Well, not to discredit his work or contributions, but honestly I don't think there's much personality that he could have imparted on the character that couldn't/wouldn't be just as easily done by someone else, if there has to be someone in the droid body.

What about Peter Mayhew? He's the one I always hear about having health problems. He is Chewie, so I think it would be wrong not to have him come back. You really can't have Han and then do a "Well Chewbacca is on vacation on Kashyyk and sends his regards." thing.

What about Peter Mayhew? He's the one I always hear about having health problems. He is Chewie, so I think it would be wrong not to have him come back. You really can't have Han and then do a "Well Chewbacca is on vacation on Kashyyk and sends his regards." thing.

I hope they can bring back PM but I fear that his role will be CGI instead

Yeah, he seems out of breath in the videos we see of him. I don't know what his health issues are, but he's definitely got something going on that might preclude a return to the franchise as we know it...

I hope they can bring back PM but I fear that his role will be CGI instead

I highly doubt Chewie will be a digital character. And while Peter Mayhew does have a certain walk that he gives to chewie, it's not 100% necessary for him specifically to be in the suit. I hate to say that, but the man walks with a cane and his legs get worse by the day. He would not be able to run around as would be necessary if he were involved in the action. Plus, if they keep the EU intact, Chewie would be dead at the time this story takes place.

Not that Lucas's direction has been universally praised...
Thank you for acknowledging the point I was trying to make! :thumbsup

...Look at guys like Pacino and DeNiro. You cold argue that they now pretty much keep playing the same roles or same types of roles over and over and over again. I mean, how long has Pacino been doing his shouty "HOOAH!" schtick now? But if you look at their body of work, they can CLEARLY act. They have real range. They just don't use it because they have bills to pay and Hollywood is only offering them certain parts...
Earlier this year I saw Stand Up Guys starring Pacino and Christopher Walken. I kept waiting for Pacino to slip into, as you put it, his "HOOAH!" schtick but, thankfully, it never happened. Instead, he gave a subtly nuanced performance that showed he can still play a real character if/when the story calls for it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back