Masters of the Universe

This is good--it means that soon the amazing Masters of the Universe classics figures will be moving off the infuriating mattycollector website and onto retail shelves. If you haven't seen these figures, you really ought to check them out.

Has anyone seen the newer MOTU cartoon? I picked up the first season for my son not realizing it was the new one. It is really good, I was happily surprised.

Hope this new movie is just as good.

You can get all 39 episodes for like 10 bucks. It's amazing. I watched it in like three sittings.

I'm not sure how many episodes this was, but it was $5. I'll check tonight how many episodes there are on it.

Got it at Wal Mart, right? That disc is the first 10. Watch the rest, but be warned of the Firefly effect...you'll be really digging it and then one day it'll just...end. :(

I have the He-man and Skeletor from the Matty line...bad-ass!

I will be honest and say that I have zero hope for the new movie because Mattel didn't like the Marks script, which sounded freaking awesome. They'll make it for kids and not us. Of course I know it's for kids, but still...what I want to see and what I will see are guaranteed to be two different things.

I wanted the Marks script.

Was the marks script the last one that had skeletor hating magic and trying to rid eternia of all magic with technology? That sounds terribly off target. The guy has a skull head. It's possible that Mattel didn't pass on that script based on its maturity level but on the grounds that it showed a fundamental misunderstanding of the property. If anything, I'd say their classics figure line shows that Mattel respects adult interest in motu. Hopefully that translates to the film.

I hope we get Hordak and Shadow Weaver in there somewhere...I think they'd translate to film very nicely. And if we don't see a Trap Jaw, that'll be a crying shame. The villians they invented for the 87 film were ridiculous. Tri-klops, Webstor, Two-bad...all of these guys have potential to be amazing--and frightening--live action villians.

The villains in the 87 film were so people would buy the new toys.
Don't forget the cartoon was originally done as a sales/advertising thing for the toy line.

Oh, I know, but they should have included SOME of the classics in addition to Blade and Karg or whatever the hell they were. They had Evil-lyn, Beastman (looking NOTHING like Beastman), and that was it for established characters.

I don't recall the hating magic bit. I just read the Latino review. It sounded right to me. How I would want the property handled, I guess. My childhood was He-man and Superman, I really, really, REALLY want this done right. As long as it stays true to the world it creates, maybe the movie will be ok...we'll see.

The only redeeming thing about the 1987 Masters of the Universe movie was Frank Langella's delightfully evil turn as Skeletor... that and Meg Foster's Evil-Lyn (DEM EYES).

Other than that, I could have done without Ivan Drago teaming up with Tom Paris, Monica Gellar, Chief Fletcher Daniels, Sarah Hallenbeck, Principal Strickland, and Screwball...

When I first watched the movie, my immediate thought was "Where the HELL is Orko???"

The only redeeming thing about the 1987 Masters of the Universe movie was Frank Langella's delightfully evil turn as Skeletor... that and Meg Foster's Evil-Lyn (DEM EYES).

Yeah, these two were creepy when I saw the movie as a kid. Today, I think Meg Foster was a gorgeous woman, especially in that costume! ;-)
Also, the score by Bill Conti is far too good for a movie like that... I'm listening to this album rather often, it's fun and adventurous, sometimes reminding me of a Williams/Silvestri-hybrid.

Hoping for Battlecat to be in the new movie!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back