The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Post-release)

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

From where they left off what happens in the book is pretty much as follows:

Smaug goes after laketown and Bard defends it.

Thorin holes up in Erebor

There's a battle with five armies

Bilbo goes home.

I'm hesitant to give spoilers, even for a story this old, but Smaug is not around for most of the end of this story.

The Extended LOTR Trilogy is brilliant and just so beautifully done. The Hobbit movies are another story though and am pretty disappointed that I find myself wondering when they're gonna get to the point. So much great character development in LOTR. So much overdoing and fluff in these new ones and I am just scared to see something extended from this series.

What happened to these? I mean they really hit the mark before. They're hard to get through completely this time around. I hope part 3 is awesome. It needs to end well and not feel like they're stretching even thinner.

This story is almost 80 years old, has the statute of limitations on spoilers not expired yet? The Tolkien ones, not the Jackson-ass-pull ones.

There's a surprising number of people that haven't read them. I read them all decades ago, so I'm good.

I'm not sure I'd term it surprising, I expect there's a good number of people out there that haven't read it. What's the statute of limitations on spoilers though if 80 years doesn't cover it? Does the next Shakespeare movie require spoiler tags? Does the next Bible movie?

If somebody deems it spoilerish enough to put in a spoiler tag, don't you think that's enough to keep it in a spoiler tag?

Yes, though I personally don't deem that bit of information to warrant the tags. That said, I'm pretty sure I spoiler tagged when I was decrying how it was pointless to shoot Fili with a morgul arrow.

There was nothing in my post that would have spoiled anything PJ has added to the story...Everything was from the 80 year old source material, so if nobody puts spoiler tags around The Wizard of Oz discussions, then this should be no different

- - - Updated - - -

Should i have put a spoiler tag around the movie poster? Because there was nothing more said than what the poster has shown

you need to put spoiler tags around your signature banner. I've never seen Friday the 13th.

How do you know there is something in my banner that was in Friday the 13th?? Huh?? Huh???

The Extended LOTR Trilogy is brilliant and just so beautifully done. The Hobbit movies are another story though and am pretty disappointed that I find myself wondering when they're gonna get to the point. So much great character development in LOTR. So much overdoing and fluff in these new ones and I am just scared to see something extended from this series.

What happened to these? I mean they really hit the mark before. They're hard to get through completely this time around. I hope part 3 is awesome. It needs to end well and not feel like they're stretching even thinner.

My sense is that much of the stuff Jackson added to the story is stuff culled from additional Middle Earth sources (at least, from what I hear -- remember, I only saw the first one). Some of these are interesting background on things like Sauron and The Nine rising in power. But I can also see where people would look at these elements and think "So?!? What the hell does this have to do with getting the damn treasure?!" And the answer is "Nothing. Nothing at all. That's why they aren't in the book." If you view the films (again, from what I gather -- the first one holds to this theory) as a single story chronicling the rise and fall of Sauron, then it kinda makes sense to include this stuff. But the problem is that, what was extra in the LOTR films was actually stuff from the books that directly tied to the story, rather than stuff that'd make more sense in the appendices. The end result is that whereas the length of the LOTR films felt reasonably justified (or at least related to the main story), the length of the Hobbit films really does feel like padding. This results in "Tolkien fatigue" where all the extra stuff is tedious and dull, rather than interesting.

I'm not sure I'd term it surprising, I expect there's a good number of people out there that haven't read it. What's the statute of limitations on spoilers though if 80 years doesn't cover it? Does the next Shakespeare movie require spoiler tags? Does the next Bible movie?

Psst.....

Hamlet dies in the end.

I recall a scene in the extended version of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, that Gandalf and Lord Elrond discussed strengthening the north-east province by encouraging the dwarves take back the mountain. This proved to be a critical stronghold to prevent Sauron's invasion of northern Middle Earth during the War of the Ring.

The new teaser trailer is out can't wait looks really good also that song they used brings back some good memories.

Last edited by a moderator:

I keep thinking it's titled "The Battle of the Five Hours." Hopefully the flow of this one is better than the other 2.

Love the useage of Pippin's song. It's always been one of my favorite pieces from the original trilogy.

Before I begin let me just say that I have a heart, I cry at movies and I love emotional moments.

That being said, I never liked Billy Boyd singing that song.

So given that the previous two films have been disappointments compared to LotR they're trying to sell us on the last film by reusing a fan loved song from the best film in the saga? Sure, that'll fix it. Also, whoever cut that trailer does realize that the previous use of the song was over scenes of Faramir riding into combat on what was surely a suicide mission. Is that really a connection they want to invoke in marketing this last film?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back