GI JOE 2: Retaliation Trailer up!

Meanwhile, The Rock says(on Twitter after being asked if 3D will be worth the wait):

"It will be. Designing new scenes to enhance 3D".

New scenes? Hmmmmm.....

Oh, please tell me they're not going to put scenes in there that contrive ways to have crap flying at the audience to 'enhance' the 3D? I really need a "head-desk" emote. In the meantime.... :darnkids

I don't think 3D is going anywhere.

I actually like the added depth. I just wish they would film in 3D like Avatar and stop the contrived conversions.

After reading that it really makes me think that John Chu just put together something really atrocious and Paramount is having some major damage control.

Yeah... this is bittersweet for me and we could debate it forever, but I look at a franchise like GI Joe and look at something like Battleship and can't help but ask how it was EVER expected that Battleship would be a success on ANY level. There is a very old and outdated game that the movie is very loosely wrapped around, but it isn't a franchise at all in the same way the GI Joe is. And the whole 3D thing? As you said, Avengers wasn't a success due to 3D. Avengers was a success because it was a great movie that was able to stand on its of and deliver a good story with an ensemble cast, something that I feel is very rarely successful.

I can't help but feel that no matter what happens, this will be the death of the GI Joe movies, because I think of all the marketing money which has already been spent and is going to have to be spent again and no matter what changes they make to the movie, I can't believe it will bring in enough new money to overcome having a marketing budget that is twice that of most movies. Financially, this seems like a disastrous decision.

On the flip side, I have been working on a Storm Shadow costume for a couple of years and it isn't ready yet, and it is nice that I get a bit of a reprieve. In addition, UD Replicas will now have more time to prepare whatever awesome stuff they have in store for us, and now, unlike most licensees, they will likely be able to offer licensed pieces BEFORE the movie comes out or in conjunction with the movie coming out, instead of being behind the curve.

After reading that it really makes me think that John Chu just put together something really atrocious and Paramount is having some major damage control.

While I stand by their official announcement that the delay is due to the decision to convert it to 3D...and this delay is now official, I wasn't entirely sure yesterday :cool....Let's consider for a moment that you're right and it's to improve the film's final cut as well.

IF...if that's true, just think about that for a second....a studio that is less interested in capitalizing on a film, be it good or bad...and CHOOSING to make it great instead?? Well it's about time!

That's a pretty remarkable stand, and one I think many of us would have preferred with some other 'less than stellar' films from the past, that we had been anticipating...only to be let down by the final cut shown.

So I say again...IF this is part of the reason as well then I tip my hat to the studio for this decision. No one wants a bad movie - ever! If nothing more this should show how serious they're treading the brand and film as a whole....and again, it's about time.

Yes, this delay 'after' the well established hype is annoying....but not nearly as annoying as looking forward to an apparent awesome sequel, only to be let down by the final cut of the film. If there is any truth to this at all then the studio should be praised for this action.

Finally someone that cares about a 'good' movie, and has taken a stand to see it through....that's how I'd look at it....IF this aspect has any truth to it at all. :thumbsup

David

Oh good freakin' grief... I just read the article that Willie posted. More Tatum?!? Are you kidding me? That guy could be replaced by a cardboard stand-in... maybe Christian Hayden from the prequels! It was bad enough that he was the leading man in the first movie and I think he DID have a part to play in why that movie was so bad (although there were so many failings in the first movie, the blame isn't all his). You just couldn't have cared less about his character. As most of you know and have seen, the opening scenes of the second film kills off a lot of the characters from the first film and I thought that was a great nod to the fans from Hasbro that they did screw up big time and were wiping the board clean and trying to start fresh... and now they think what this needs is more of Mr One-Expression?!?

Very good point, David and while I am first in line when it comes to annoyed fans, this is something that we have all begged for at one time or another. We have ALL wished that SOMEONE would realize a film is bad and stop the inevitable bomb from landing on the screen... and now it has happened. Maybe instead of us being upset and annoyed, we should be cheering that they recognized this movie isn't what we want and therefore wouldn't be financially successful and so they are trying to make it somewhat better.

Now, on to the more important thing! You have an additional 9 months, so you know we are all going to be hoping for an even more incredible GI Joe lineup from UD Replicas come March of 2013!!

While I stand by their official announcement that the delay is due to the decision to convert it to 3D...and this delay is now official, I wasn't entirely sure yesterday :cool....Let's consider for a moment that you're right and it's to improve the film's final cut as well.

IF...if that's true, just think about that for a second....a studio that is less interested in capitalizing on a film, be it good or bad...and CHOOSING to make it great instead?? Well it's about time!

That's a pretty remarkable stand, and one I think many of us would have preferred with some other 'less than stellar' films from the past, that we had been anticipating...only to be let down by the final cut shown.

So I say again...IF this is part of the reason as well then I tip my hat to the studio for this decision. No one wants a bad movie - ever! If nothing more this should show how serious they're treading the brand and film as a whole....and again, it's about time.

Yes, this delay 'after' the well established hype is annoying....but not nearly as annoying as looking forward to an apparent awesome sequel, only to be let down by the final cut of the film. If there is any truth to this at all then the studio should be praised for this action.

Finally someone that cares about a 'good' movie, and has taken a stand to see it through....that's how I'd look at it....IF this aspect has any truth to it at all. :thumbsup

David

On the flip side, I have been working on a Storm Shadow costume for a couple of years and it isn't ready yet, and it is nice that I get a bit of a reprieve. In addition, UD Replicas will now have more time to prepare whatever awesome stuff they have in store for us, and now, unlike most licensees, they will likely be able to offer licensed pieces BEFORE the movie comes out or in conjunction with the movie coming out, instead of being behind the curve.

First off, thanks for the vote of confidence bud!:thumbsup
Second...yes. :cool
This now changes our business plan and product strategy entirely. Not only do we have more time for product development, but we now have the luxury of time to not only make everything we have in place that much better...but also to be able to plan and organize our pre-sales to coincide with the movie release date for delivered goods....and THAT'S exciting!

Just imagine what we can do with the luxury of time on our side...Now we'll be able to release a full character line at once - without having to scale different character releases every quarter...and for the fans and collectors, this is a good thing.
:thumbsup

David

seriously tho, if they figured the movie sucks, im not sure if 9 months cut it. think about it, just shooting half an hour of other material and replacing the stuff that is in it, wont make it better, at least thats what i think. also, as allready stated, they are making scenes FOR the 3d, which is the stupidest thing ever. it annoys the crap out of me, when you know: this scene has no purpose other than 3d.

i just cant imagine it getting better, just by replacing certain parts of the movie, and adding 3d
i hope it will, i just dont believe it will

The biggest thing now is, now the film HAS to deliver the goods. Not just because we, as a viewing audience, would expect them to be able to work all the kinks out in 9 months, but because it needs to make up the massive marketing budget it will have had by the end.

I'm still hopeful...though a little annoyed at how this went down.

-Nick

There's also speculation given the date of the push back, that it may have something to do with cross promotion with the WWE given that Rock was involved with wrestling this past year and seems to committed himself to more dates this year when he said that he was going after the WWE championship. Wrestlemania 29 is April 7th, 2013.

Interesting coincidence in the least.

Speaking only for myself, and I am unanimous in this... I am FURIOUS with Paramount over this decision! :angry

Not only are they ruining the Summer of 2012 for myself and all the other Joe fans that were anxiously awaiting this movie's release next month, they are ALSO throwing Hasbro and the retailers that sell G.I.*Joe merchandise UNDER THE BUS!

You see, the merchandising push for the movie has already begun! Amazon.Com has begun selling a Retaliation "Preview Set" of 4 figures, including an exclusive version of Cobra Commander, wearing a black uniform similar to what he wears in the new movie.

Major retailers such as Wal*Mart, Target and Toys "R" Us are supposed to put the movie toy line and other assorted merchandise on sale on May 28th, which is Hasbro's official Street Date for the merchandise, but those that live in the Mid-West, near Meijer stores, have been finding the toys on the shelves since early April. Hasbro's own online toy shop will begin shipping the items in the first week of June, just a few days after they go on sale at retail. And smaller online toy stores have begun taking pre-orders for the merchandise.

But now, with the movie TEN months away, this will spell DISASTER for the retailers. Simply put, Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public will have ZERO interest in buying these items for their kids when the movie doesn't come out until March! And in the world of big box retail, 10 months is a LONG time! Target and Wal*Mart and TRU will close these toys out at clearance prices long before the movie hits theaters, and then when the movie's actually out, the kids won't be able to get the action figures they want, because the scalpers on eBay will drive the prices up through the roof! :thumbsdown

This whole thing is a giant cluster frak and is proof positive that Hollywood "suits" are completely and totally CLUELESS.

For all these reasons, plus the fact that I was dying to see Snake-Eyes kick Red Ninja butt on the big screen in what will be one of the most memorable action sequences ever committed to film, I am now officially BOYCOTTING all Paramount Pictures productions, and I encourage everyone in this thread to do the same! I will NOT go see their movies on the big screen, which does mean that I will NOT indulge in any repeat viewings of The Avengers, since Paramount distributes it in the United States. I will NOT watch their TV shows, and I will NOT buy any of their Blu-Ray or DVD releases, including The Avengers and other recent Marvel movies, until such time as I am able to watch G.I.*Joe: Retaliation. Paramount will not get one red cent of my hard-earned money until I can watch this movie.

Everyone that grew up on the Marvel G.I.*Joe comics should do the same, because this movie was going to move the story and tone closer to the Marvel comics, and farther away from the silliness of the old G.I.*Joe cartoons, which is exactly what the franchise NEEDS to return it to the greatness it enjoyed in the 1980s!

Oh well, I guess I'll watch G.I.*Joe: Resolute on June 29th, instead. :(

I just saw the date change lastnight... There goes a movie I won't be seeing now. I was interested in seeing it, but now i'll just wait for a leak online. or watch it half price in 2d when it comes out. I'm not worried about it anymore. it will fail like the first one. Considering they're now banking it off the Rock and Willis... Johnson can do good in movies, but Willis is just over rated. Hate on me all you want but I've never liked any of his movies.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back