First watch: Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection

SPS

Alien 3: With the exception of the last 25 minutes or so, this movie as a whole was largely forgettable. The over use of the one and only orange colour scheme became very boring very quickly. The story was largely about nothing all that important or interesting for that matter. Too many characters and most of whom I had zero connection with or care for.
Overall, it just felt too removed from the rest of the series. To me, it was an Alien story in an Alien universe that no one needed or wanted to see.
"That's all I've got to say about that..."

Alien Resurrection (4): After watching the third film, I was concerned with what an all too common trend of sequels has come to teach us. This being that they usually don't get any better, if anything worse. I was however pleasantly surprised. To begin with, the visual styling felt much more akin to what we've come to expect with the series. At times, certain shots even had a nice Cameron-esque familiarity about them. Once accepting that the tone wasn't perhaps as serious as prior entries, I quite enjoyed some of Perlman's quips. Even laughing out loud at times. Ryder's casting was probably not the best choice for this films synthetic character, but it was good enough, albeit annoying at times. I think that Weaver portrayed a good balance of who this Ripley was meant to be and aside from being perhaps too emotional around the aliens in some scenes, it was played out well. The opening of the film with the poorly CGI'd bug had me worried immediately, but thankfully this was a one off as most of the CGI in this movie was quite ok.
As a whole, I actually found this movie reasonably entertaining and is something I could see myself watching again. Unlike the film before it.

- SPS

You gotta fall in love with the Betty, best part of the entire movie. She's very much a proto-Firefly, and one of the last great studio scale ships.

You gotta fall in love with the Betty, best part of the entire movie. She's very much a proto-Firefly, and one of the last great studio scale ships.
I have to be honest and say I've never seen Firefly or Serenity, not usually much of a SciFi guy. I might give it a go though. Pretty sure my better half has the movie somewhere...

Ah... okay. Though the extended cut is a bit better movie - though, the best version would probably be a mix of both - it still is a rather pointless entry into the series. I completely agree with that.

If you plan checking Firefly and Serenity out, start with the series. The movie is a continuation of the series, so reveals a lot of things which are left unknown in the series, so is a bit of a spoiler.

Did you see the theatrical cut or restored "director's" cut of Alien3?

THERE IS NO DIRECTOR'S CUT of Alien3. David Fincher literally told Charles to not call it a Director's Cut. And even though there is good material in the Special Edition, it doesn't fix any of the major faults I had with the film.

THERE IS NO DIRECTOR'S CUT of Alien3. David Fincher literally told Charles to not call it a Director's Cut. And even though there is good material in the Special Edition, it doesn't fix any of the major faults I had with the film.

Was it because there weren't any strong female types in the all make prison cast? ;)

I actually just finished watching Alien and Aliens on blu ray for the first time this weekend. I really like how much clearer the picture was from the DVD's and I noticed that during the knife game scene, originally they spe up the footage to allow bishop to go super fast but you also see everyone else moving very fast. In the new version they made everyone but bishop regular timing.

I haven't watched Alien 3 or Resurrection on blu ray yet as I'm kind of dreading it but I figure I may as well. Besides I've never seen the "directors cut" (I know I know but what else am I gonna call it other than terrible?) and it's been several years since I watched resurrection.

Also Ron Perlman.

Was it because there weren't any strong female types in the all make prison cast? ;)

No.

1. The movie retcons EVERYTHING from the last movie in order to justify the alien's presence.
2. It renders one of the best movie climaxes in existence pointless and even turns it into a mistake.
3. The alien itself is just a typical horror slasher who goes out killing everyone. The first ALIEN hinted that it took some of it's victims alive where as ALIENS outright confirmed it. These are not creatures bent on just killing people.

And it's just full of stupid. The Sulaco, a marine starship has an Emergency Escape Vehicle (EEV). Smart idea. Unfortunately this EEV vehicle doesn't include any weapons, helpful medical supplies (just a scanner?), food, communication devices or even a practical method of safely landing on a planet... in the ocean!

And what is up with Bishop's desire to be shut down for good? Why would anyone program an android to be suicidal at the thought of being inferior to a newer model android? This was never talked about nor even hinted at in ALIENS.

I've never seen A3 or Resurrection but just got the Anthology box set from Amazon yesterday. I will adjust my expectations accordingly.

I originally was horribly disappointed with Alien 3 but I have to say that over time it has grown on. Still far from my favorite movie but about once a year I break out the DVD box set and give it and Alien Resurrection a watch.

I took Alien 3 to be the nightmare dead end inevitability for Ripley. It had its surreal dreamlike quality to it. But in the end, ya, not quite a fitting continuation of the storyline. Alien 4 had its moments but that hybrid was gawd awful. I recall everyone in the theater laughing when that hideous thing was revealed! :D Ripley was pretty cool. Still, its one of those film series that probably should have ended with Aliens.

I prefer the SE of Alien 3 to be sure, but to me it's more a visual/mood movie, and I think it drags at times. I first saw AR when it came out and thought it was unspeakably stupid. Didn't watch it again for like ten years. Then when I did, I found that I really enjoyed it. Not the extended version with the lame bug splat though...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back