Ant-Man

I thought perhaps this is a follow up to the test reel so they can have more new footage for a official teaser trailer, even though there is no official casting yet.

Apparently this behind the scene photo is from two years ago, for the footage which became the test reel which was then shown at Comic-Con.

559472_218540088313155_671165221_n.jpg

Ist exciting.

Paul Rudd comes off too much as a comedic actor for me.... he's been pretty typecast (in my eyes) as an Apatow actor (and it works well for him). But, I'm open to see what he can do and would look forward to see him as Ant Man.

I think JGL is a great, young actor and he'd be great, too.

Make them both Ant Man! Rudd as Pym and JGL as Scott Lang!

Paul Rudd?!? Love the guy but... I'm having a REALLY hard time seeing him in that role. I like JGL too but I don't picture him in this role either.

It's going to boil down to chemistry with the other Avengers. They need to cast a guy who appears smart enough to fit in with the likes of the MCU Stark and Banner, but is even more of a comic relief than RDJ AND can play well with those other actors. I can see why they're looking at Paul Rudd, who I think fits the comic relief role better than JGL, but from a talent range and star power standpoint, it's JGL.

I suppose if Chris Evans could pull off Cap, who's to say these guys can't do Ant Man :popcorn

How about Guy Pearce? He was just in a dud called Lockout

He was also in Iron Man 3. Pass. I hate recylcing actors that have already been in a comic book movie.

I was thinking.... how about Michael C. Hall.

michael-c-hall-286540l.jpg

He's been the star of a series so he should be able to pull off being the title character.
He has a good look for a scientist/hero.

He's my pick.

I keep reading about comedic actors as people's picks for Pym. Is he supposed to be funny? I've heard Simon Pegg and Paul Rudd... neither really stand out to me as comic hero types.

I think part of the reason that they're looking at Rudd for the role is that Ant-Man is at best one of the MCU's least interesting characters, and at worst one of its least likable. The impression I've got from the cursory reading that I've done is that he's a psychologically fragile and at times selfish scientist. He's also earned a reputation as a possible spousal abuser since the bronze age of 616 and a confirmed spousal abuser in the Ultimate universe. Hell, I think in Marvel Zombies he consciously cannibalizes her.

With respect to the "Is he supposed to be funny?" thing, all the Marvel movies have an element of humor. If you aren't familiar with Edgar Wright, he's the guy who directed the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost Cornetto trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) and Scott Pilgrim, so his strength is comedic action. In this case especially, I think they might play the humor up a little more to make up for the fact that the lead is a guy whose powers are to shrink/grow and communicate with insects.

Rudd is a likable actor with comedic chops. He's masculine enough to fill out the suit and "beta" enough to be believable as a fragile/self-conscious scientist type. I'd actually like to see him in the role if for no other reason than that I think Edgar Wright could make a really fun movie with him.

I think part of the reason that they're looking at Rudd for the role is that Ant-Man is at best one of the MCU's least interesting characters, and at worst one of its least likable. The impression I've got from the cursory reading that I've done is that he's a psychologically fragile and at times selfish scientist. He's also earned a reputation as a possible spousal abuser since the bronze age of 616 and a confirmed spousal abuser in the Ultimate universe. Hell, I think in Marvel Zombies he consciously cannibalizes her.

With respect to the "Is he supposed to be funny?" thing, all the Marvel movies have an element of humor. If you aren't familiar with Edgar Wright, he's the guy who directed the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost Cornetto trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) and Scott Pilgrim, so his strength is comedic action. In this case especially, I think they might play the humor up a little more to make up for the fact that the lead is a guy whose powers are to shrink/grow and communicate with insects.

Rudd is a likable actor with comedic chops. He's masculine enough to fill out the suit and "beta" enough to be believable as a fragile/self-conscious scientist type. I'd actually like to see him in the role if for no other reason than that I think Edgar Wright could make a really fun movie with him.
You say he's one of Marvel's "least interesting" - but, then you list reasons why he may be more interesting that many other Marvel characters. He may have some huge character flaws, but to me... that's what might make a character interesting. I think it's more true that hee lacks the dynamic, interesting powers and huge personalities of Marvel's "big guns."

Let's not forget the Iron Man in the comics was considered not that interesting by many until the movie came out (and if you go way back, the Demon in the Bottle story arc from the late 70s/early 80s) - I think IM also flirted with being cancelled at times.

No matter which version of Ant Man you're talking about, he is - at best, a secondary Marvel hero with a sketchy history - but, the original, Hank Pym is a founding member of the Avengers and an important part of Marvel's history. I think Marvel's tried many thing's to try and give him more depth - that's personal opinion on whether it's worked or not.

I don't personally believe he's uninteresting, and I never said that those things I described contribute in any part to the perception of his being uninteresting. I was just describing the character to Father because he seemed unfamiliar.

You say he's one of Marvel's "least interesting" - but, then you list reasons why he may be more interesting that many other Marvel characters. He may have some huge character flaws, but to me... that's what might make a character interesting. I think it's more true that hee lacks the dynamic, interesting powers and huge personalities of Marvel's "big guns."

Let's not forget the Iron Man in the comics was considered not that interesting by many until the movie came out (and if you go way back, the Demon in the Bottle story arc from the late 70s/early 80s) - I think IM also flirted with being cancelled at times.

No matter which version of Ant Man you're talking about, he is - at best, a secondary Marvel hero with a sketchy history - but, the original, Hank Pym is a founding member of the Avengers and an important part of Marvel's history. I think Marvel's tried many thing's to try and give him more depth - that's personal opinion on whether it's worked or not.

Marvel has shown they will make changes to suit their vision (pun), so I think we can just expect a 50% fresh take on Mr. Pym. He wasn't there in Avengers 1 for a reason.

Just my speculation but I'm sure they are going to change Ant Man's back story and even his powers a bit to fit into a more main stream box. Until they made him a dick and an abuser he really had nothing else. He can talk to ant's and make himself small or big. I think Rudd could pull off a very good egocentric sarcastic role that would make you hate the guy but like him at the same time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back