Help Winnie Cooper become Wonder Woman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A photo of the casting made from the mould. It's a little rough, but not unexpectedly so, and totally adequate for our purposes...

WW_Casting.jpg

_Mike

Coming along nicely. Thanks for the update.
So, if she's going as Wonder Woman, who will you be going as?

Is that foam? Details on that, please.

Yes, it's 2 part expanding rigid urethane foam...X-30 from Tap Plastics here in the US.

After removing the plaster mold from Danica, I screeded (scraped) a thin layer of white hydrocal over the entire mold to fill small voids as well as the texture of the plaster bandages. Next, I used shellac and coated the interior of the mold, allowed that to dry, and then used a mold release for urethane foam. The key there was to make the interior as smooth and slick as possible.

The two halves were reassembled, and I used more plaster bandages to hold them together and seal up the seams. Inside the mold, I used water clay to fill the seam lines. I prepared some galvanized water pipes by mounting them to a board, which slipped up though the leg holes. The entire mold was secured down to the base, and the arm holes were sealed shut by using plastic wrap over the hole and then plaster bandages to reinforce it. Down around the base, I used more water clay to close off any gaps where the mold met the wood base.

Using a brick, I tilted the mold slightly, so that the foam would expand up and not allow any voids. The two part foam was mixed thoroughly and poured in through the neck hole. Once set, I removed the plaster bandage mold...which was tough, as there were several undercuts, and I missed a few spots where the mold release. The original mold was completely destroyed in the process, and Danica will be retaining this one and only casting, so no chance of extra copies made...

The casting is rough, but as Mike stated, it will be fine for our purposes. If I felt it necessary, I could've layed a thin coat of polyester gel coat followed by a layer of fiberglass--then filled it with foam. It would have made for a more durable casting, but it really didn't need to be all that durable.

In addition to using it as a sculpting form, it will be used as a mannequin to create and fit the costume as well. Anna will take a body stocking and cover the form to keep the fabric clean, then create a muslin pattern, followed by the actual fabric. We're still experimenting with different materials and looks, but once that is nailed, things will progress quickly. We'll be taking pictures and passing them along to Mike...

--Don

I think that is a fantastic work in progress....keep up the great work.
I am watching with facination cause the whole process is amazing.
Mobius

Thanks Don, that was a very sweet explanation. It's like body casting for dummies...........LOL. You're an excellent teacher. :)

Mike, it sounds like this costume is off to a superb start. Can't wait to see more.

Dave

As Pumpkin Eskobar said "Man... I don't know what the **** you just said,.. Little Kid, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart."

Best of Luck,.. Drop the Ironman & go as Major Trevor...

Most of all... Have Fun.

L8
Snoose

As Pumpkin Eskobar said "Man... I don't know what the **** you just said,.. Little Kid, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart."

Since there are now 2 posts expressing confusion, I'd be happy to explain in more detail, (or less detail), if it would help...

---Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back