Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Doc's foam work + new painting method for even shinier finish

liquid electrical tape--very interesting. I plan on using mine quite often, so I'm going the 65D route on mine (just ordered it in fact). I'll look into the liquid electrical tape for the gloves for sure!

Doc's foam work + new painting method for even shinier finish

Is the LET you're using made by Plastidip, or do you prefer another brand? I did a quick amazon search and found lots of brush on applications but only Plastidip in a spray can. Thanks in advance. Your build is awesome and inspiring!

Just as a heads-up to people... I dunno if the liquid electrical tape is the same stuff from Performix...

I found a LET that is a 'brush-on' version in a jar not-dissimilar to a jar of contact cement (hardware store price = around $10 a jar)... I've been trying it on the finger sections... and it seems to do ok... so far... as with most things revolving around my costuming efforts... I always wait for the 'other shoe' to drop. LOL

As for Plasti-Dip, though...

I talked with a rep from Performix today (the folks that make both 'Plasti-Dip' and a sprayable substance called 'Liquid Tape')... and he assured me that they're actually the SAME rubber product at their base... just different concentrations of the same.

The 'Liquid Tape' is a more-concentrated version of the same rubber compound that is regular 'Plasti-Dip'... hence the squatter can and wider nozzle (the thicker concentration has trouble getting through a standard paint can spray-nozzle, apparently)

He said that the difference in concentrations meant that the "Liquid Tape' would go on thicker initially... and to get the same thickness at the end (after successive applications/layers) you would end up with eight (8) layers of regular 'Plasti-Dip' where you would need only six (6) of the 'Liquid Tape'.

... now back to your regularly scheduled program! =)

hmmm maybe thats why I use nothing plastidip or performix on my builds like I mentioned before that stuff sucks on foam I use on tools only. Never tried the liquid tape so cant say how that stuff is. I use this product made from garden bender but the spray on version from homedepot. Lowes just carries the brush on. This stuff bonds better, it says its can be peeled off but I tried n its really hard to get off which is a good thing versus plastidip comes off easy.

Last edited:

Thanks for the new paint tip method Doc! Also the video uploads have been awesome to see.

Honestly I'm always getting stuck re-reading this thread a million times everytime I check for updates. Learning so much... I'll def b posting my build/methods when it's all done ^^.

Liquid Tape, who would have thought, lol

Do you put on a lot of layers?

Further to my last post... I just got off the phone with Gardner Bender Canada... THEY don't have the aerosolized 6oz spray up here.

LOTS of locations carry the 4oz brush-application bottle... but NO ONE has the spray.

So... unless you American types want to help a brotha out... we Canucks are stuck with Plasti-Dip. =/

Thanks for the new paint tip method Doc! Also the video uploads have been awesome to see.

Honestly I'm always getting stuck re-reading this thread a million times everytime I check for updates. Learning so much... I'll def b posting my build/methods when it's all done ^^.

yr welcome dude.

Liquid Tape, who would have thought, lol

Do you put on a lot of layers?

I put up to 4 coats

Further to my last post... I just got off the phone with Gardner Bender Canada... THEY don't have the aerosolized 6oz spray up here.

LOTS of locations carry the 4oz brush-application bottle... but NO ONE has the spray.

So... unless you American types want to help a brotha out... we Canucks are stuck with Plasti-Dip. =/

Yea in the begining I used the brush until darkside found the spray and sent me a link to HomeDepot.

yr welcome dude.

Yea in the begining I used the brush until darkside found the spray and sent me a link to HomeDepot.

I also found it at Harbor Freight Tools... it was a little cheaper there too. Every once and a while they put out a 20% off coupon as well but I think it is only for one item not the whole purchase but every little bit helps.

Just wanted to show how repulsar looks installed and diffused. Then install handplate and make it turn on when hand raised...enjoy

Re: Doc's foam work + repulsar installed in Mark 42 glove vid

Hey, Doc...are you still thinking about doing a little write-up on the filler pieces for the back of the leg? I would LOVE to have those pieces for my suit.

Love, love, love the idea of using Liquid Electrical Tape. Now I wish I could go back and redo my suit using it! :)

Dude!!!!!!

That looks bad ass, great job.

Thanks dude:)

Cool, I would like to see you try out my repulsors in your gloves. ;)

yea your repulsars are sweeeet, they would look insanely cool:lol:D

Hey, Doc...are you still thinking about doing a little write-up on the filler pieces for the back of the leg? I would LOVE to have those pieces for my suit.

Love, love, love the idea of using Liquid Electrical Tape. Now I wish I could go back and redo my suit using it! :)

Idk know when I will have some free time but we'll see and yea I feel the same way to:)

Ha...on my way home from Spring Break to Florida and hitting all the Home Depots along our route to buy up all the Gardner Bender liquid electrical tape I can get my hands on... ;/

Ha...on my way home from Spring Break to Florida and hitting all the Home Depots along our route to buy up all the Gardner Bender liquid electrical tape I can get my hands on... ;/

:lol right on..just remember take your time n goodluck:)

Re: ironman coated with rondo, now unlocked mystery to painting foam thats flexible

So do we just replace the plasti dip with the LET but follow everything else?

Make sure your in a well ventilated area and wear respirator

Step 1. Heat sealing the foam. If you dont have one you can try a blow drier. Heat but dont burn it just till foam looks like it has glitter on it. Do it twice but let cool in between.

Step 2. Modpodge time. Coat as needed but no less then 3 coats. Look closely at the foam coat until pores are filled. The pores on the foam are the little dots on it that absorbthe coating. Youll know when sealed good when no more dots And have shine like. Let dry for 30 min

Step 3. plastic dip 2 to 3 coats. no less then 2.follow directions on label for amount of time to wait in between coats.

Step 4. Adhesion promoter 2 coats and let dry.

Step 5. Filler primer. Heres where youll be able to tell if ya followed directions cuz itll be really flexible. After the first coat ya can lightly wet sand with 800 grit. If not proceed to next step. If you sanded make sure its cleaned before next coat.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back